Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Hey,

Just thought I'd chime in with a mini-review of an iSkin keyboard cover I bought the other day.

The product cost me £20 ($40), and After using it for 2 days, I must say this is possibly the biggest waste of money ever.

The concept is great - a keyboard cover to stop rubbish getting in your keyboard. But the usability of this thing is terrible! It didnt fit on my Pro keyboard properly, and typing felt horrible.

tbh, I'd rather just buy a new Apple keyboard every six months instead of having to deal with this thing. I was making contant typos and typing incredibly slow yesterday. I took the iSkin off and the KB feels so much better!

My word of advice - try this thing and see if you like it before you buy out on it.

/asif

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
I'll 3rd that. I have the Pro Skin model for the wireless keyboard and it really blows. The skin doesn't stay all the way down on the buttons and its like typing on cellophane where the reviews of the stupid thing say otherwise. The price is hefty too at over 20 bucks.

You'd be better off just putting a towel over the keyboard when not in use.

McCord9

Suspended
Mar 5, 2003
New York City
Terrible...

I bought one too. Used it once. I thought it would sort of stick to the keys. It worked terribly and felt terrible... Don't buy one. Worst waste of money ever.

imac9556

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2004
I got one too around July 2004, its a nice product but it takes a lonngg time to get used to. (using it right now) Had it on since I got the PB... So far, the keys look like new and there isn't any dirt between the keys either.
the only complaints are: takes awhile to get used to, fits well, but the edges of the protector are a little, a very little buckled up...
the good part is: protects the keys from dirt and makes it look new longer, washable, I can reuse it

wwidgirl

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2004
dammit

i just ordered this for my pb 12" today, as well as an iskin for my ipod mini. hopefully it's useful for me, especially since I always get crap on my keyboard. I'll write a review of it when i receive it.

Jdm_rsx

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Honolulu, Hawaii
how hard is it to get used to this? been using it since day 1...

its better for your laptop ..increases resell value, keeps the condition like new..

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Nasty on the Powerbook - looks bad and feels worse. If you think condoms decrease sensitivity you'll hate these :) Seriously though - If you keep your PB clean there is no need for this - it really does feel waaayyy too mushy when typing.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
what annoys me most about this thing is that it's pacakged in a way that makes it impossible to return it if you hate it.

Now I'm left with a $40 mat.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
iSkin keyboard protector for PB

I have iSkin keyboard protectors for my PBs (all three of them) and they are very comfortable to use on PB. However, for an iSkin on the Apple Pro Keyboard, I have not yet fully gotten used to it as it affects my typing a little.

I am wondering if it is safe to keep the iSkin on while PB is closed with one of those thin screen protector on top of iSkin. I am not sure if iSkin and screen protector will add pressure on PB's screen when closed. Any comment on this?

ericssonboi

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2005
I also have an iSkin keyboard protector for my PB... works great.. keeps the dirty out.. It does need some getting used to.. but other than that.. It does the job.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
I tried using it for a week. Hated it and returned it.

IT never seemed to fit properly, and since I have a 12", some of the silicon came out of the sides. It was awful!

wwidgirl

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2004
love it

i have a blue iskin for my powerbook 12". Love it. I eat by my computer all the time and it really helps to keep the crumbs and such off the keyboard. It's gotten to the point where it feels kind of weird for me when I take the cover off. Anyway, here's my recommendation for the iskin.

anotherjeff

macrumors regular
Dec 7, 2004
Honolulu
YS2003 said:
I am wondering if it is safe to keep the iSkin on while PB is closed with one of those thin screen protector on top of iSkin. I am not sure if iSkin and screen protector will add pressure on PB's screen when closed. Any comment on this?

I tried the iskin and the marware screen protector (a piece of neoprene you lay on the kb when it's closed) but when I closed my PB it felt too tight, like there was too much pressure on the latch.

I didn't like the iskin on my 12"pb because there was some overlap off of the keyboard, and it felt funny. It's too bad because tons of crap likes to fall onto my keyboard.

If you want to use the iskin and a screen protector I recommend the screensavrz from radtech because it's pretty thin.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
YS2003 said:
snip

You will get screen marks with the iSkin. I did :( . So there is some screen contact. I think the skin is soft enough that there is no risk of screen damage.

That said I don't even notice the iSkins on my desktop and powerbook anymore. Both are over a year old now. The iSkin has saved me from having two coffee spills on my PB keyboard. Give the skins a try for a month. You may find that you'll get used to them. Just like a one button mouse :D

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
anotherjeff said:
If you want to use the iskin and a screen protector I recommend the screensavrz from radtech because it's pretty thin.

Has anyone tried iSkin and Radtech Screensavrz at the same time while PB is closed? I am going t return Marvare screen protector (its thickness is 0.16 MM). Radtech web site says its Screensavrz's thickness is 0.06 MM. I feel I can use iSkin and Radtech Screensavrz at the same time; but, I want to hear from the actual users.

Mahone

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2005
I love mine

I love my iSkin for my 12" iBook. It took very little time to get used to it and it fits nicely. One of my favorite things about this little piece of plastic (which I got at the Apple Store for only $15, btw) is that it mutes out the clicking of the keys. That is such a nice touch when I'm taking notes in class. All the Dell owners are making such a racket, and here I am, quietly typing away! :)

MacHarne

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Virginia, U.S.A.
When I bought my iBook, the previous owner included his iSkin keyboard cover for it. I tried it for about 20 seconds (after a complete 10.3 reinstall) and got rid of it.

The concept is great though - keep the keyboard and, especially, the underside of the keyboard clean and free of food, dust, and light liquid spills. But apart from good intentions, I really couldn't justify the thing. My typing was hindered by the rubber feel that kept grabbing my fingers, and I simply preferred the natural feel of the keys beneath my fingers rather than some flimsy medium.

I, too, have marks on the iBook screen that were left from the previous owner closing the iBook with the iSkin in it. They aren't as noticable when I'm using the computer, but when it is shut down I can truly see the marks (something more like a smear though, likely due to oil from the hands).

Good product idea, but it achieves very little considering the trade-offs.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I've used one since day one of having my 17" Powerbook and love it. I don't usually eat at my computer, but it keeps dust and hairs out of the machine. (I couldn't believe how many cat hairs were on the iSkin after a week of use)

I think it was probably because I used it from day 1 that I like it; if I had used the Powerbook keyboard before, I might not have.

It might be because I had the 17", or because it was a Rev.D machine, but it wasn't leaving any marks on my screen either.

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
I thought about getting the iSkin as well but when I compare the cost of it at $29, I realised i can buy a new keyboard for the same price. As much as I like the keyboard to be white, I seriously hate the dirt smudges. It DOES smudge easily. I wish Apple would sell the black keyboard as they used to.

Tom Morello

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2004
Just cover it with some clingfilm if you're that fussy.
And you can change it if it gets skanky as it's cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.