Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Don't even have to check....

YES.

Unless it lacks either a VGA connector or a DVI connector (improbable beyond comprehension). If it's a monitor between 13" and 23" that's described as either "Analog" or "Digital" it should work just fine.

You could even use an oldschool AppleVision monitor if you could stand having 6" of adapters back there. :eek: :p ;)

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
mischief said:
YES.

Unless it lacks either a VGA connector or a DVI connector (improbable beyond comprehension). If it's a monitor between 13" and 23" that's described as either "Analog" or "Digital" it should work just fine.

You could even use an oldschool AppleVision monitor if you could stand having 6" of adapters back there. :eek: :p ;)

Thats the thing. I can't find if it has VGA. This is what I found out...http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Samsung_SyncMaster_710_N_2/710N2BLACK/E74183/

On the bottom it says,
Interface
VGA (HD-15)

Is that it?

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
gekko513 said:
"Input Connectors: 15-pin D-Sub"

It's regular VGA, so yes it's compatible.

Thanks, I'm gonna order it for my mac mini right now :D

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
joey4127 said:
Thats the thing. I can't find if it has VGA. This is what I found out...http://www.costcentral.com/proddetail/Samsung_SyncMaster_710_N_2/710N2BLACK/E74183/

On the bottom it says,
Interface
VGA (HD-15)

Is that it?

Yup.

Seriously: The pieces of common hardware out there that don't work with Macs are either PCI cards, Specialty scanners that lack TWAIN support, Specialty printers that lack both Mac drivers AND CUPS/PPD support (less than 1%) or input devices that rely on oddball drivers (CH Joysticks).

For the most part Monitors, common scanners, printers, external drives, DV cameras, digital still cameras, all mice and most keyboards, etc. will all work out of the box with a new Mac... most with no driver other than Panther's own set.

It's once you get into specialty equipment (ALPS printers, fringe-market game controllers, PCI cards beyond USB, Firewire, Wireless) that you run into the Mac Driver question.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that Macs lack Parallel and analog serial ports.

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
mischief said:
Yup.

Seriously: The pieces of common hardware out there that don't work with Macs are either PCI cards, Specialty scanners that lack TWAIN support, Specialty printers that lack both Mac drivers AND CUPS/PPD support (less than 1%) or input devices that rely on oddball drivers (CH Joysticks).

For the most part Monitors, common scanners, printers, external drives, DV cameras, digital still cameras, all mice and most keyboards, etc. will all work out of the box with a new Mac... most with no driver other than Panther's own set.

It's once you get into specialty equipment (ALPS printers, fringe-market game controllers, PCI cards beyond USB, Firewire, Wireless) that you run into the Mac Driver question.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that Macs lack Parallel and analog serial ports.

What does that mean?

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
mischief said:

not to nit pick but there is no such thing as an analog serial port. You meant an RS-232 serial port (it is a digital port).

joey4127

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 29, 2004
sgarringer said:
not to nit pick but there is no such thing as an analog serial port. You meant an RS-232 serial port (it is a digital port).

So it will be compatible %100....I need to know. The Samsung one.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
mischief said:

How's this then:
Macs lack (LPT) Parallel and (COM) serial ports.
Macs have no built in floppy drives either. (Thank the maker)

TEG

candan9019

macrumors regular
joey4127 said:

What does that mean?

Parallel and Serial ports are not used as display connectors so your ok. They are used on some printers and game controllers. Mostly on stuff that mischief was talking about, oddball stuff. But most PC's still have them for some reason.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
mischief said:

and who would want an ugly RS232 or parallel port on their beautiful mac anyway?

the only reason they're still around is to keep the backs of PCs looking grim and nasty, full of bugs etc...
:rolleyes:

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
bigandy said:
and who would want an ugly RS232 or parallel port on their beautiful mac anyway?

the only reason they're still around is to keep the backs of PCs looking grim and nasty, full of bugs etc...

Actually, I use RS-232 all the time to connect my laptop (iBook) to various Cisco switches, and to our VAX system to administer voicemail boxes.

Serial is still used, however not so much in consumer electronics.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
There was a Samsung monitor recently that all color/brigthness adjustments was done in a Win-only App/Control-panel, not sure what is was called.

-tb

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
bigandy said:

First get over your self and looks sorry just never like how some people thinks looks of there computer is so imporant ;) .
2nd yes they are out date but they are still extemaly usefull. There is a lot of hardware still in use today that can only run off Parallel ports (namely printers that are over 3-4 years old) Also it is a lot easier to make equiment to run off parrell/RS232 than it is to to make them for USB or firewire. A heck of a lot easier (this is coming from my EE and CompEE friends who have done some stuff like that before). That just an example of how old tech is sometimes a lot better than new

scarr

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2005
Timelessblur said:
First get over your self and looks sorry just never like how some people thinks looks of there computer is so imporant ;) .
That just an example of how old tech is sometimes a lot better than new
From your first comment, I'm surprised you aren't an EE/CompE. ;) (I'm an EE grad.) I think it's kinda sad that more companies (apparently) don't care what their products look like. Between "good and ugly" and "good and pretty," I'll go with the latter.

As for the claim that RS-232 is somehow better, that only applies minorly to people programming low-level drivers (such as students). I'd like to see someone transfer gigabytes of information across it and be pleased with the results. :rolleyes:

sgarringer

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
scarr said:
From your first comment, I'm surprised you aren't an EE/CompE. ;) (I'm an EE grad.) I think it's kinda sad that more companies (apparently) don't care what their products look like. Between "good and ugly" and "good and pretty," I'll go with the latter.

As for the claim that RS-232 is somehow better, that only applies minorly to people programming low-level drivers (such as students). I'd like to see someone transfer gigabytes of information across it and be pleased with the results. :rolleyes:

Jesus, I've never seen an RS-232 flamewar.

Coming from my background in EE, I would think that you guys would realize that a USB interface is actually easier than a RS-232 interface almost any day. There are USB drivers on 1 chip now, and you have much less to worry about with minor timing issues between the device and the computer. I recently finished developing a USB interface for a data collection module, and I'll tell you what, I was very glad that I didnt have to worry about timing the interface at exactly 9600bps anymore, it was truely a godsend.

Not to mention that USB -> Serial converters are dirt cheap, so really, putting an RS-232 port on a computer anymore is a waste. RS-232 never caught on, and Centronics Parallel is dying out also...

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
scarr said:

well for high speed stuff yeah it is faster for USB 2 I never said it was faster I just said it was easier to make a deviece that does so. As for looks I think ti should be funitionallity first looks 2nd.

As for not being a compE or EE. I dont like it CompE and EE enough to do it for a living and to learn the basic. I enjoy learnign about Civil Engineering a lot more and find that stuff much more enjoyble.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
What the hell did I start here?!?!!?

Jeez.... I somehow feel left out of a flamewar I started....

Um...

Er...

Aha!!

I still say there's nothing like AmigaDOS!!!! Hah! :p ;) :rolleyes:

Timelessblur

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
mischief said:
Jeez.... I somehow feel left out of a flamewar I started....

Um...

Er...

Aha!!

I still say there's nothing like AmigaDOS!!!! Hah! :p ;) :rolleyes:

I would not of callled it a flame war more of a discussiong with minor friendly jabs in there.

mischief

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2001
Santa Cruz Ca
Timelessblur said:
I would not of callled it a flame war more of a discussiong with minor friendly jabs in there.

This is about as good a Flamewar as we can get since the board was made "safe and sane".

It seems most users are too twitchy about the idea of the old-style poop-slinging chaos.... even if it were set up as a specific thread... I've tried a few times and finally gave up. Nobody wants to sling pies anymore. *sigh*

Of course, I'm speaking of opening a thread just for blowing off steam. I still find Trolling and non-narrative flaming lame... I just like having the occasional narrative pie-fight. It's like "Dozens" for the Forums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.