Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I purchased the $1 facetime app on my 13" Macbook Pro, and I'm trying to test it out with my iPad 2. Originating the call from either device causes the other to ring, but when you answer the call nothing happens. Both the Macbook Pro and my iPad 2 are connected to the same wi-fi network (a Time Capsule) - so a 100% apple setup. Any ideas what the issue is?

I just want to see what the quality is like... I really want the iPad 2 for facetime, but if it sucks then I'll return it. So far the images I've seen using photo booth are NOT promising. All kinds of exposure issues depending on the lighting conditions, and an astonishing amount of noise in the image.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I saw this article about users reporting facetime freezing, and it sounds just like what I was experiencing. I restarted the iPad 2 and was able to test facetime.

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ng_issues_with_facetime_on_apples_ipad_2.html

However, the colors of the iPad 2 generated image sent to the macbook pro is extremely warm. Any way to adjust the image settings? I've found virtually no settings in facetime.

T4R06

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2007
CT
my ipad 2 works really well on my wife iphone 4 jailbroken and she is using 3G and not wifi.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Had this problem trying to Facetime from my iPod Touch 4g to my sister's. The issue was the way Facetime calls contacts not on a cell phone. It does it by e-mail address. I had to create a different contact entry just for her Facetime account.

Skype works far better and more reliably for me. I'm thinking Facetime was really made for the iPhone and is an afterthought for other clients.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Grrrr...I just had my wife get a iPad 2 almost for the sole purpose of being able to use facetime. Now it looks like the app that has been out for almost a year still has bugs? Tell me it is not so.

Last night my wife and I tried to use facetime. She is using iPad 2 and I am on iPhone 4. We got as far as it would say connecting and then it would never connect. We were both using wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas????

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
Grrrr...I just had my wife get a iPad 2 almost for the sole purpose of being able to use facetime. Now it looks like the app that has been out for almost a year still has bugs? Tell me it is not so.

Last night my wife and I tried to use facetime. She is using iPad 2 and I am on iPhone 4. We got as far as it would say connecting and then it would never connect. We were both using wi-fi.

Anyone have any ideas????

Facetime uses particular ports on the network. Home networks are typically fine but corporate networks may firewall this port. If you're using a corporate or subscription wifi access point you may encounter difficulties connecting.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
Facetime uses particular ports on the network. Home networks are typically fine but corporate networks may firewall this port. If you're using a corporate or subscription wifi access point you may encounter difficulties connecting.

Interesting. I was on a restaurant wi-fi. Man this is going to be tough for me to find a wi-fi that I can use. I travel a lot.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
Use Skype. I haven't had a problem yet with that. Plus you can send text messages while chatting or later and know when someone has their device on and app running.

I'm a Windows user so Facetime is a FAIL for me anyway. It's not cross platform and Apple doesn't care to make it so. Only advantage is when you are going iPhone to iPhone and want to use it during a phone call.

G4R2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2006
I know this may not resolve your particular problem, but I've seen elsewhere that users with an iPhone 4 and hotspot enabled can Facetime through a tethered iPad 2. What's strange about this set up is that you can Facetime through a connected device but not the iPhone 4.

Willie5566

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010

This.

I tried from another wi-fi hot spot and it worked. Thanks.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH

Thats exactly my experience with facetime on the ipad 2. The solution was to power off the ipad 2 completely and turn it back on. The article I linked in the 2nd post of this thread says other ipad 2 owners have had similar experiences and a similar solution.. Some need to do this with every facetime session it says.

mwjd299

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2003
Santa Maria, CA
Thats exactly my experience with facetime on the ipad 2. The solution was to power off the ipad 2 completely and turn it back on. The article I linked in the 2nd post of this thread says other ipad 2 owners have had similar experiences and a similar solution.. Some need to do this with every facetime session it says.

I got my iPad2 yesterday and made a call and I had the freezing issue. I rebooted and everything was fine, however I haven't called anyone yet. :confused:

laurenr

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2008
California
I have the same freezing issue with Facetime, but mine goes one step further- the image shown on the screen will be the one from my previous session. Apparently this is a common problem and will hopefully be corrected in the forthcoming IOS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.