Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Hey,

i currently have an unlocked Iphone 4 running on tmobile.

occasionally the phone will just pop up with "no service" or just 1 bar (with no carrier name). The only way to get it to come back to working on T-mobile is to turn it off and restart it.

now the problem is when i restart it, it gets stuck on the apple logo. the only way to get it off that and get the phone back on is to plug into computer and run Redsn0w and "boot tethered device".

my first question is is there any way to fix the no service or 1 bar issue without turning the phone off (airplane mode doesnt fix this for me, it just pops up with "INVALID SIM" when i take off of airplane mode.

my second question is is there anyway to get my phone re-booted and off the apple logo without plugging into a computer (not always home by my computer where redsn0w is installed)?

any help would be great, thanks!

Myzhi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2009
What firmware are you running? If 4.2.1, run Greenpoison and make it a untethered JB.

As for unlock, maybe try reinstalling Ultrasnow.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I am running 4.2.1 (1.59). It's already jailbroken so what would running greepoison do?

I understand unlocks are not perfect and I gave no problem plugging into computer and running redsnow but what about when it happens when I'm not around my comp?

Thanks

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Crystal, thanks.... however if i run install greenpois0n how would i be able to run it if the phone is off and stuck on the apple logo. i have no access to anything on the phone when its at this stage and my only option is to plug in to redsn0w and boot tethered.

i just want to know how greenpois0n can help me when the phone is stuck with the apple logo on the screen and i'm not near a computer.

thanks a lot (as you can tell, im very new at this)

FamiliaPhoto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
Crystal, thanks.... however if i run install greenpois0n how would i be able to run it if the phone is off and stuck on the apple logo. i have no access to anything on the phone when its at this stage and my only option is to plug in to redsn0w and boot tethered.

i just want to know how greenpois0n can help me when the phone is stuck with the apple logo on the screen and i'm not near a computer.

As you are using redsn0w that is why you get the apple logo and need your PC, that is what's called a tethered jailbreak. Running greenpois0n will turn your Jailbreak into an unteathered one meaning it will restart fine when you are not at a computer. Of course you will need a PC to run Greepois0n.

jdaniel

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Lviv, Ukraine

it depends on why your phone is stuck at the apple logo.. if its stuck bcoz of the reasons stated in your first post that it is an untethered jailbreak then yes.. running greenpoison jb over your current rubbish jb would solve the problem.. and please.... for the love of god dont upgrade or try to jb your phone again...

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
it depends on why your phone is stuck at the apple logo.. if its stuck bcoz of the reasons stated in your first post that it is an untethered jailbreak then yes.. running greenpoison jb over your current rubbish jb would solve the problem.. and please.... for the love of god dont upgrade or try to jb your phone again...

should i do some some kind of restore or uninstall anything before jailbreaking with greenpois0n since the phone is already jailbroken? should the phone be off or at the apple logo stage before i do this?

thanks

Last edited:

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
You don't need to restore it or anything.

Download greenpois0n to your pc
Hook your iPhone to your PC and make sure it is completely off.
Run Greenpois0n and follow it's instruction.

Once it's done, you have a untethered jailbreak where you don't need your pc to turn on your phone.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
should i do some some kind of restore or uninstall anything before jailbreaking with greenpois0n since the phone is already jailbroken? should the phone be off or at the apple logo stage before i do this?

thanks

Do what CRX is telling you bro, trust me he knows his stuff.
You dont need to restore, uninstall any packages or anything.
Just download GP from here:
http://greenpois0n.com/
Plug in your iphone, run the program and follow the instructions.
That's it.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
so ive tried this probably ten times now and every single time its gotten stuck after a bunch of scrolling lines with the message : unable to mount user filesystem! error, no successful firmware download after 60000 ms!! Giving up...

now on this last time it finally scrolled a little more after that and is now stuck on the apple logo... any advice?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Damn it, small chances that this will happen and it did:(
Try to kick it out of recovery with Tinyumbrella.
Also find out what shsh blobs you have with TU to see if you can restore back to 4.2.1 and JB with Greenpoison.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
i just ran greenpois0n again and now its stuck at the "giving up" screen again.
i assume itll eventually scroll a couple lines and go back to the apple logo. and i assume that apple logo is supposed to turn into a skull well within 5 minutes?

i can get the phone back up and running using redsn0w but that doesnt solve my problem of not having an untethered jailbreak on my iphone 4 which needs to be shut down every time i lose service (just about, sometimes service comes back).

anything i can try different? and keep in mind its unlocked and thats most important to me.

i have tiny umbrella and the saved sshs is 4.2.1 and 4.3....my phone is currently on 4.2.1

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
Do what CRX is telling you bro, trust me he knows his stuff.
You dont need to restore, uninstall any packages or anything.
Just download GP from here:
http://greenpois0n.com/
Plug in your iphone, run the program and follow the instructions.
That's it.

Thanks very much Applejuiced. We are here to learn and share information and I did learn a lot from you personally with your thoughtful reply and link.

I do have all iphones from 2g to Iphone4 and did play with them and do have problem. Without the help of this forum, I don't think I know much about iphones.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Thanks very much Applejuiced. We are here to learn and share information and I did learn a lot from you personally with your thoughtful reply and link.

I do have all iphones from 2g to Iphone4 and did play with them and do have problem. Without the help of this forum, I don't think I know much about iphones.

I agree bro.
We're all here to help eachother out and keep up with the JB scene.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
well ive now tried greenpois0n an limera1n multiple times, both programs leave my phone stuck in recovery mode with apple logo on it (i can boot the phone back with redsn0w) but that doesnt solve my needing to plug into a computer to boot the phone every time.

please help, if possible

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
well ive now tried greenpois0n an limera1n multiple times, both programs leave my phone stuck in recovery mode with apple logo on it (i can boot the phone back with redsn0w) but that doesnt solve my needing to plug into a computer to boot the phone every time.

please help, if possible

Limerain only JB's 4.1 not 4.2.1
I dont know what else to suggest.
GP works to untether most people's tethered JB on 4.2.1
If you got shsh blobs for 4.2.1 you can restore to official 4.2.1 and then use GP to JB untethered.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Limerain only JB's 4.1 not 4.2.1
I dont know what else to suggest.
GP works to untether most people's tethered JB on 4.2.1
If you got shsh blobs for 4.2.1 you can restore to official 4.2.1 and then use GP to JB untethered.

my tinyumbrella says i have the saved shsh for 4.2.1.........

how do i restore to official 4.2.1 and wouldnt that undo my unlock?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
my tinyumbrella says i have the saved shsh for 4.2.1.........

how do i restore to official 4.2.1 and wouldnt that undo my unlock?

Follow all this in the page below step by step.
http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/p/prevent-iphone4-baseband-update.html
If you use T.U. start TSS server while you do the update to 4.2.1 your baseband will not be updated and you will not lose your unlock.
All you do is open TU, start TSS server, then open up itunes and hold shift or option and select restore and point itunes to the official 4.2.1 ipsw you downloaded.
Let it restore, once its done and gives you an error close itunes and run GP to JB.
You will need an official sim to activate it and get to the homescreen.
Or you can go the other route and create a custom 4.2.1 with pwnage tool of a mac and restore to that.
Up to you.

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
when you say i need an official sim you mean att?

should i just try the new beta version of redsn0w which is untethered? its redsn0w 0.9.7b5?

actually it says i need to use version 4.2b3 of ios.

what does that mean??

tforst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I dont know about that version, I think its for mac only but not 100% its untethered.
What's wrong with Greenpoison or pwnage tool?
You're using a mac or PC?

im using a mac..........greenpoison freezes on an error screen on my phone that ends in "giving up" adn after it sits for about ten minutes scrolls a little more and then goes to the apple logo forever (recovery mode), same with when i tried limera1n.....whats pwnage tool? another untethered jailbreaking option?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
im using a mac..........greenpoison freezes on an error screen on my phone that ends in "giving up" adn after it sits for about ten minutes scrolls a little more and then goes to the apple logo forever (recovery mode), same with when i tried limera1n.....whats pwnage tool? another untethered jailbreaking option?

Yes, pwnage is mac only.
Maintains your unlockable baseband and created a custom JB ipsw for you to restore to thru itunes.
Just follow this: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=13925

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.