Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

134430-xcode_4_screenshot.jpg

Alongside today's release of iOS 4.3.1, Apple has also pushed out Xcode 4.0.1, updating the company's tools for iOS and Mac OS X development.
What's New in Version 4.0.1

- Improved Assistant editor logic when switching among different file types
- Fixed a bug in "Install Xcode.app" that hangs at 99% complete, never finishing
- Fixed a bug that prevented indexing of some projects
- Fixed a bug related to nil settings in the Core Data model editor
- Fixed a bug that prevented automatic download of iOS documentation
- Fixed a bug in LLVM GCC 4.2 and LLVM compiler 2.0 for iOS projects
- Additional bug fixes and stability improvements
Xcode 4.0.1 is available free of charge to members of Apple's paid developer programs, and non-members can purchase the application for $4.99 in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Xcode 4.0.1

ID_Field_Blank

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2008
London, UK
Really not liking the 4gb download again...

Though the app store is great, this really is a flaw. Can't believe they can't patch through it.

Menge

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2008
Amsterdam
The 4.something GB download is horrible, I agree.

Hopefully this makes Xcode 4 better! The crashfest that were previous versions is still imprinted in my memory!

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
My App Store app is telling me I have "no updates", and if I go to the Xcode page directly, it tells me it is "installed" and doesn't let me re-download. (yes I go Xcode 4 through the App store).

Anyone else experiencing this?

critter13

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2010
no update

neither software update nor app store says there is an update available... shouldn't software update take care of this as a patch?

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Wait so you are suppose to keep the Install Xcode 4 file?? I deleted mine and no update is appearing. That seems like a massive fail. So I have to keep around a 4 GB file for NO reason than to tell the App Store that I have the app??

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
My App Store app is telling me I have "no updates", and if I go to the Xcode page directly, it tells me it is "installed" and doesn't let me re-download. (yes I go Xcode 4 through the App store).

Does the 4bg xcoder install.app need to be in the /Applications directory (where Apple chose to leave it ) in order for AppStore to recongize you have XCode 4?

( edited: ah, I see Branskins post above - the same comment )

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Does the 4bg xcoder install.app need to be in the /Applications directory (where Apple chose to leave it ) in order for AppStore to recongize you have XCode 4?

I believe this is the problem. But does it really matter since we have to install the whole 4.5 GB again and again lol!

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Ugh. My Install Xcode.app is in its place. I get nothing in the updates tab. In the Purchased tab I see a update button and upon clicking it I get - "To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it."

To top it all I now know that for 4 fixes I have to download the WHOLE FREAKING 4.5GB AGAIN! :mad:

This should be submitted to Failblog.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
Ugh. My Install Xcode.app is in its place. I get nothing in the updates tab. In the Purchased tab I see a update button and upon clicking it I get - "To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it."

To top it all I now know that for 4 fixes I have to download the WHOLE FREAKING 4.5GB AGAIN! :mad:

This should be submitted to Failblog.

Yup, that was exactly the error I was getting. After an hour + on the phone with AppleCare, I suggested to them that we should try deleting Install Xcode.app and reinstalling -- that worked. They were claiming never to have seen this bug before -- I guess they don't read MacRumors ;)

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Yup, that was exactly the error I was getting. After an hour + on the phone with AppleCare, I suggested to them that we should try deleting Install Xcode.app and reinstalling -- that worked. They were claiming never to have seen this bug before -- I guess they don't read MacRumors ;)

Yeah, that worked. Just deleted the Install Xcode.app and now I am offered a fresh download and install.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I believe this is the problem. But does it really matter since we have to install the whole 4.5 GB again and again lol!

Yes, because Apple have decided I need a redundant 4.5G file hanging around in order to get updates.

Apple need to fix this, it just plain retarded, not to mention lazy - and finally, breaking their own rules..

Apple: "Do as I say, not as I do... "

Last edited:

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Yes, because Apple have decided I need a redundant 4.5G file hanging around in order to get updates.

Apple need to fix this, it just plain retarded, not to mention lazy - and finally, breaking their own rules..

That's crazy. I'd like to add that I don't like having to launch the App Store to check if there are any updates available. It's much easier if the app itself checks, like most of them always used to. It's a cheap way to lure you to the store. You might be tempted to make some impulse purchases.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I can't upgrade now.

I copied back the "XCode installer", AppStore found that XCode required upgrading. Unfortunately the download failed half way.. now I can't upgrade at all - Appstore is unable to see that I still have XCode 4.00 installed.

I suppose I'll have to go looking on torrent sites in order to upgrade, thanks to the crApp Store.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
I just finished installing and it cracks me up because after all of that, it just says 4.01. Too funny.

This seems like this could hurt the updating process. Why would they want to introduce frequent updates when all 4.5 GBs have to be redownloaded? Seems like it defeats the purpose of moving it to the App Store where it is more accessible.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio

yes, I am. Exact same issue. Have you resolved it?

als522877

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
I can't believe Apple is making us redownload the entire 4.5GB installer just for updates. Can't they just push it via Software Update? I'm sure they can set it so it only shows the Xcode 4 update if it's installed on our system. I couldn't care less if they put the update as a separate app in the Mac App Store that will only install/download if you have bought Xcode 4 originally. I'm sure people who have capped internet usage or DSL users are going to have a field day having to redownload 4.5GB for every update.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
How do you re-download the installer so that those of us who didn't feel like keeping a 4.5 Gb installer around? The AppStore only has a "Buy" button but I've already bought it and I don't want to pay twice.

als522877

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
How do you re-download the installer so that those of us who didn't feel like keeping a 4.5 Gb installer around? The AppStore only has a "Buy" button but I've already bought it and I don't want to pay twice.

You go to the "Purchased" section of the Mac App Store & choose install. It will download the Xcode installer again but it will be he 4.0.1 version. Thats what I did & it was the updated version & it didn't charge me.

klaxamazoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
You go to the "Purchased" section of the Mac App Store & choose install. It will download the Xcode installer again but it will be he 4.0.1 version. Thats what I did & it was the updated version & it didn't charge me.

Thanks. That was a lot more hidden then the old "Check for Updates" option that is in most applications.

ortuno2k

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2005
Hollywood, FL
I don't know why you guys are so worked up about the size of the download file...
Apple has always required full downloads for most program updates. Prior Xcode versions were no different.

Mac Player

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2006
For the guys who downloaded this from ADC, do we need to redownload a new image or the update will appear on the Sys Update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.