Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torm3nt8r

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
can you make a hotspot on iphone and connect the appletv to the hotspot - when connected - can you airplay from iphone to appletv without any other router - that would be really cool.

thanks
torm3nt8r

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I would think this could work if you can make the iphone a hot spot, or are you talking future verizon iphone?

I have given thought to putting an airport express and a ATV1 in my show car to and be able to show movies and play audio to my system at car shows...but its low on my priority list. but I do have a spare of both, just need to make time to try it.

grawk

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
Southern York County, PA
I would think this could work if you can make the iphone a hot spot, or are you talking future verizon iphone?

I have given thought to putting an airport express and a ATV1 in my show car to and be able to show movies and play audio to my system at car shows...but its low on my priority list. but I do have a spare of both, just need to make time to try it.

I'd think an easier solution for mobile would be to use a mobile hotspot that allows multiple connections, but I guess if you've already got AC for the appletv, having AC for the router wouldn't be a big deal.

Cibbersicks

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2010
Wouldn't it be far too slow for Airplay on a 3G connection? Especially if you are streaming in HD?

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
can you make a hotspot on iphone and connect the appletv to the hotspot - when connected - can you airplay from iphone to appletv without any other router - that would be really cool.

thanks
torm3nt8r

The personal hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 is just a wifi network that up to 5 wifi enabled devices can join. The Apple TV works on wifi so of course it will work. This means you could use Airplay with the Apple TV without needing a local network or any other equipment. Just bring your phone and ATV2 and you can put all your media up on any HDTV. And with apps like Air Video and streaming services, you can have ALL your media accessible even if they aren't stored on your device.

Where I live, I get about 5mbps download and 1mpbs upload on AT&T's 3G network. That would be great for Airplay when I go over to my friends except I bet I will have to give up my unlimited data plan to get it and that's something I'm not sure I want to do. And I don't get that kind of speed everywhere.

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I was just thinking. With iOS 4.3 beta, Apple has opened up Airplay to 3rd party developers and added the personal hotspot feature. And the LTE 4G mobile networks coming in the next couple of years are supposed to do 50mbps minimum. With that kind of speed, Airplay+ATV2+iPhone with personal hotspot becomes a whole new ballgame.

VTMac

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I was just thinking. With iOS 4.3 beta, Apple has opened up Airplay to 3rd party developers and added the personal hotspot feature. And the LTE 4G mobile networks coming in the next couple of years are supposed to do 50mbps minimum. With that kind of speed, Airplay+ATV2+iPhone with personal hotspot becomes a whole new ballgame.

Well the real world speed on Verizon's thus deployed LTE is around 5-7mbps right now. I don't think you're going to see 50mbps for 5+ years. I would think the biggest issue is backhaul capacity. Just 2 phones pulling 50mbps would require 100mbps of backhaul at every tower. There is a lot of bandwidth in this world, but not that much sitting unused at the 1000's of towers out there.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Well the real world speed on Verizon's thus deployed LTE is around 5-7mbps right now. I don't think you're going to see 50mbps for 5+ years. I would think the biggest issue is backhaul capacity. Just 2 phones pulling 50mbps would require 100mbps of backhaul at every tower. There is a lot of bandwidth in this world, but not that much sitting unused at the 1000's of towers out there.

From what I understand, what Verizon has currently employed they are calling 4G but it isn't LTE. The specs and standards aren't even finished yet for LTE.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
I'd think an easier solution for mobile would be to use a mobile hotspot that allows multiple connections, but I guess if you've already got AC for the appletv, having AC for the router wouldn't be a big deal.

it would be more the gadget'ity allure of being able to control whats playing with iphone, and having 100's of movies, songs, shows, clips in the small space of the ATV1.

never seen such a setup before, but im sure it has to exist since I have seen several car audio setups with mini's in them.

maximir

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
The personal hotspot feature in iOS 4.3 is just a wifi network that up to 5 wifi enabled devices can join. The Apple TV works on wifi so of course it will work. This means you could use Airplay with the Apple TV without needing a local network or any other equipment. Just bring your phone and ATV2 and you can put all your media up on any HDTV. And with apps like Air Video and streaming services, you can have ALL your media accessible even if they aren't stored on your device.

Where I live, I get about 5mbps download and 1mpbs upload on AT&T's 3G network. That would be great for Airplay when I go over to my friends except I bet I will have to give up my unlimited data plan to get it and that's something I'm not sure I want to do. And I don't get that kind of speed everywhere.

Guys, I tested this and in theory it should work, but it doesn't with my ATV2. I created an iPhone 4 hotspot and then connected ATV2 to it. But when I did that, all of the Airplay and Airtunes functionality from my iPhone disappeared.

CPD_1

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2007
South East Texas
Guys, I tested this and in theory it should work, but it doesn't with my ATV2. I created an iPhone 4 hotspot and then connected ATV2 to it. But when I did that, all of the Airplay and Airtunes functionality from my iPhone disappeared.

Yeah, I don't think it's the same as a proxy network that the iPhone participates in. The iPhone isn't "on" the WiFi network, it's just passing the 3G signal on "through" the WiFi.

(Makes sense in my head, but I don't know if it will for anyone else.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.