Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterG5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2003
Jackson, MI
Am I the only one who has noticed that you CAN'T use both the video out and a DVI or VGA monitor at the same time? I believe that this is a big drawback (for myself) to the Mac mini, other might love this, but I wish they would have included a Mini VGA or Mini DVI port. What do you all think?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
no, you are not the only one who has noticed this. it's kinda unfortunate that you can't use both, but i don't think it's that big of a deal. the sort of customer these things are targeted towards would not usually be the kind that would use two monitors (or have two monitors just sitting there unused - remember, you are supposed to use remnants from your old computer...). also, i guess it would slightly increase the size of the whole computer, and there really seems to be something magical about the size. or something.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Probably that it is not part of the intended market. Why would Apple give away the store for the needs of the few. One of the first lessons of project management is 80-20 rule. In this case the Mac mini is focused on 80% of users needs at this price level.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.