Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richro

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 23, 2011
MD
Looking to have remote access to my Windows PC, and came across these 2 apps as two of the more popular solutions. This week, LogMeIn added file management and remote sound to their app. Which one should I go with and why?

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Looking to have remote access to my Windows PC, and came across these 2 apps as two of the more popular solutions. This week, LogMeIn added file management and remote sound to their app. Which one should I go with and why?

never heard of splashtop, but i have been very very happy with LMI. and their new update is awesome! go with LMI!

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006

If you are at home splashtop. If you plan to be away from the network of your PC, then logmein.

sillyrabbitt

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2009
I am in the same boat. I have found splashtop great for at home (wifi) use it's great. Also use team viewer which is free for consumer use. I have heard great things about logmein as well but is 30 vs free for team viewer.

outz

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
i havent used the 2 that you listed, but currently use wyse pocketcloud pro - it's just ok... buggy.

i wish jaadu would release an ipad version of their rdp app.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
Splashtop works pretty good at home on wifi.

I have used Splashtop to access my Windows PC and view live TV through Windows Media Center on my iPad.

The video and audio are pretty darn good. I like how when you log on to the remote computer, it mutes the sound on that machine and redirects it to the iPad.

EDIT: Haven't tried LogMeIn, mostly because I was willing to waste $5 on an app that might not work for what I wanted it to do (but did). $30 was a bit steep for me. LogMeIn looks like a higher quality app with some nice features.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I mainly use logmein and it works extremely well. This is how I get to my work computer, and fix my family's and friends computers. However, for work I have found that Remote Desktop Connection from Microsoft works amazing for remoting into my work computer as well.

It is a free download, and came with Office 11...

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Mar 25, 2010
I use both. At home, I use SplashTop which works amazingly well, its about 90% as good as if you are actually on the computer, very smooth but of course the computer isn't touch optimized so its a bit harder to move a mouse cursor around.

LogMeIn is great when out and about, slower than SplashTop, even over Wifi, but very stable and of course SplashTop doesn't work over 3G.

BadaBing!!

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
For me it's

- Splashtop (works from outside of my house too)
- Jump Desktop (RDP and VNC)
- TeamViewer (Like Logmein but FREE)

Selfdestrukt

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2009
I use logmein

I use to use gotomypc but since I got an ipad... logmein's 1 time $30 fee is by far cheaper than gotomypc's monthly fee and I can proudly say I have cancelled our office's 3 computer (which can access all other computers) gotomypc plan for 45 bucks a month

logmein ipad ignition can have as many computers as you want

logmein.com (on the website) can turn on computers remotely - at least I was able to turn one on the other day -- never knew i could do that - and it was for sure OFF

chrisc983

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
I use both. At home, I use SplashTop which works amazingly well, its about 90% as good as if you are actually on the computer, very smooth but of course the computer isn't touch optimized so its a bit harder to move a mouse cursor around.

LogMeIn is great when out and about, slower than SplashTop, even over Wifi, but very stable and of course SplashTop doesn't work over 3G.

Just to let you know SplashTop does work over 3G as well. I've used it a couple of time on my iPhone when out. I believe I used dyndns.com to get a hostname that points to your home or office IP address.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Don't forget to check out iTeleport. I bought logmein since that's what all my computers use, but I'm loving iTeleport too.

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
SplashTop can certainly work fine from the outside (including over 3G) with the right ports opened on your home router. LogMeIn from the outside is more secure, since it doesn't require any firewall ports to be permanently opened.

I have both, but mainly because SplashTop wasn't yet available when I bought LogMeIn. If I were to do it now - I probably would have saved $30 bucks and just used SplashTop for everything.

For pure performance and level of smoothness - SplashTop kicks butt, especially over the local WiFi network.

Autokon

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2008
CA
LogMeIn.

That update they just released REALLY made it that much better. Love the service though, been using it for quite awhile now.

jdlorinser

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2010

Where does it say that they added 'remote sound'? I can't find that anywhere.

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
I've installed LogMeIn Ignition on my iPad 2 and the LogMeIn software on two computers. It does absolutely everything I need and I can now feel confident about leaving my laptop at home. The file management is a nice bonus, though I have DropBox, so I would not have missed this feature.

"Wake on Lan" feature only works with Ethernet (wired) connections. It does not work if your computer is on a wireless network. This is a limitation of the technology, not just LogMeIn. Perhaps there is a gadget out there that will let you wake a computer remotely (*), otherwise the computer must already be on or connected to your router through a wire.

(*) I'm picturing a gadget that plugs into the Ethernet port and waits for a wireless command from a remote server to send the WoL packet to the Ethernet port.

nlkccom

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2008
Been using LogMeIn for a few months, very, very happy with it. The initial $30 price tag seemed expensive, but once I start using the app, I think it's totally worth it. Also, it's an universal app, so you can install on your iPhone and iPad for one price.

bluechipBMW

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Does logmein ignition play sound as well? I saw a few posts mention it but I just recently downloaded and it's not working for me. Is there a setting that I need to change?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.