Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I'm having this problem with my iPhone. It started sometime yesterday. I have 2-4 bars of reception at all times. I can only make calls to certain contacts at certain times, it's sort of hard to explain. When I make a call sometimes there will be no dial tone, and after 10-15 seconds it says call failed. When people call me, my iPhone doesn't ring. Sometimes when it does ring, says call failed right when I pick it up. Other times it works, again very weird... Never had this problem with any phone I've owned. Any ideas on what's going on? I'm on the Verizon network, and this is my 2nd replacement iPhone.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Having not used the iPhone on the VZW network, I didn't want to embarrass myself if I was wrong about that being an option on the VZW iPhone.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
What about the location question, that I asked?

Been at home. But everyone elses phone works fine at home. Going out for dinner in a bit, will check then.

I can't even call *228 (Verizon's customer service).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
My iPhone makes/receives calls away from home. Just got back home, and it's not working again. My brothers iPhone works fine at home though?

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Yes. Is there even a way to turn off 3G on Verizon iPhones?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Yes. Is there even a way to turn off 3G on Verizon iPhones?

I don't believe that there is, but I'm not sure. I have the AT&T version, and 3G is turned off by going to settings>network.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Okay my iPhone is making/receiving calls at home now suddenly. I dialed *228 and updated my preferred roaming list, to see if it helps.

But still very curious to why my phone was singled out, when there are 4 other Verizon phones here.

Wondering if this is intermittent, because when I first noticed it yesterday it started working after awhile. Then it happened again today and is working now. Guess only time will tell.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I don't believe that there is, but I'm not sure. I have the AT&T version, and 3G is turned off by going to settings>network.

I got wifi on 24/7 so when I'm at home, I guess 3G is off.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Okay my iPhone is making/receiving calls at home now suddenly. I dialed *228 and updated my preferred roaming list, to see if it helps.

But still very curious to why my phone was singled out, when there are 4 other Verizon phones here.

Wondering if this is intermittent, because when I first noticed it yesterday it started working after awhile. Then it happened again today and is working now. Guess only time will tell.

It's not working again! I got a call, picked it up and said call failed instantly. Then tryed calling back, says call failed instantly. When it does work, it takes like 10-15 seconds to hear a dialing tone. The other person cannot hear me at all, I can hear them fine. I also get texts 10-20 minutes after it was sent.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
My celllular data usage has went up to: 12.0GB Sent and 12.2GB Received

Battery is draining awfully fast now too, even when not in use with no background apps running...

Any ideas on what the heck is going on? :mad:

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
My celllular data usage has went up to: 12.0GB Sent and 12.2GB Received

Battery is draining awfully fast now too, even when not in use with no background apps running...

Any ideas on what the heck is going on? :mad:

Sounds to me like you need to get it replaced again!

Do not give up as there is no better:)

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
So I just did a "restore as new" as a last resort. iPhone would not make the call to activate, so I walked out to the street. Took 3 tries and it finally dialed, and activated it. Everything seemed to be good had 3G and Verizon banner, then I walk back in my house and did a test call which failed, and now it says "No Service".

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 127

vachargerfan

macrumors regular
May 28, 2008
So I just did a "restore as new" as a last resort. iPhone would not make the call to activate, so I walked out to the street. Took 3 tries and it finally dialed, and activated it. Everything seemed to be good had 3G and Verizon banner, then I walk back in my house and did a test call which failed, and now it says "No Service".

Take it back to Verizon or to the Apple store. Sounds like something wrong on the phone

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
Just got off the phone with Verizon technical support. After the no service I resetted network settings from the iPhone settings, and 3G came back online. Safari works fine, but still no phone calling/receiving.

First technician made me go through the basic reset this reset that mumbo jumbo (I already tried all this stuff before). Then he tried calling me 4 times, and said it dials and goes to my voicemail- I never got a ring. Said he never heard of this kind of issue. He then transferred me to a tier 2 tech. Tier 2 tech made me do the same crap, and explain it all over to him. He also tried calling, I never got a call. Then he escalated a ticket to the network team to do some tests, and that they would contact me within 1-2 days. I told them about the cellular data usage jumping to 12.0GB, they said it only shows 288.0MB of usage on their system.

Anyways, I'm also beginning to think it's the iPhone now.

John88

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
I just woke up from a incoming call. I can make/receive calls fine now. Guess I won't be going to the apple store today, since I can't replicate the problem at the moment. Hopefully it keeps working, because I really don't want to make another exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.