Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ImAliveUK

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 30, 2007
Kings Cross, London UK
Hi there

I have just purchased a new MBA 11 from the US and the first thing i noticed was the display had a strange display problem and wondered if anyone could shed some light on it before I take it to the Genius Bar!

I have no idea how to explain it!

There is a very minor issue - but noticeable as I have never seen it on any of my other displays on laptops.

Every so often, the screen looks as if is is covered in diagonal lines (both directions) and is also noticeable when moving an open window.

Anyone else had this problem?

The picture I'm posting is the closest I can find to visually explain the problem.

Any help would be most appreciated!

K

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-03-14 at 23.00.49.png
    Screen shot 2011-03-14 at 23.00.49.png
    7.3 KB · Views: 429

Kornelis

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
I have also have a problem with the screen since a couple of days, don't know if it's the same. On my screen the left half is lighter than the right half. It is clearly visible when the machine boots up. Besides the difference in colour I also see some slight flickering on the right side. When I use the MBA the difference in colour will become hardly noticeable from time to time, but after a while the difference is back. I'm planning to bring it back to the store on Thursday. I bought my MBA 11 in December.

jinxednuance

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2011
I have also have a problem with the screen since a couple of days, don't know if it's the same. On my screen the left half is lighter than the right half. It is clearly visible when the machine boots up. Besides the difference in colour I also see some slight flickering on the right side. When I use the MBA the difference in colour will become hardly noticeable from time to time, but after a while the difference is back. I'm planning to bring it back to the store on Thursday. I bought my MBA 11 in December.

Screen problem here as well.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
I'm not sure about the diagonal lines, but a review by the C'T magazine in the Netherlands mentioned that the 11" screen wasn't lit very uniformly. This magazine is very technical so they used a light meter and they found that the bottom-right hand corner of the 11" screen was significantly less bright than the top left (if I recall correctly it was around 80cd/m^2 lower).

If I can find the magazine I'll translate that part of the review. Just saying it might be a flaw in the screen model in general, not a specific one.

Kornelis

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Amsterdam, NL
My MBA is back again, they replaced the LCD screen (display module, 661-5737) because it was defective and now the display is looking normal again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.