Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mooyer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2009
UK
Hi guys,

Is there any way to activate personal hotspot on 4.3??

Currently my iPhone is not jb................:cool:

rtztgue

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
I am thinking there may be using a similar method to this.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

This is a line item change in the ipad code to enable multi-finger gestures. It simply tells the ipad to turn it on because Apple left the programming imbedded in 4.3

Anyway, my screen looks like this

springboard.jpg

I am thinking there is probably a similar code change to make the iphone turn on the hotspot. Just need to find it

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
There is, it's called TetherMe. It involves flipping a bunch of flags and and setting up an APN.

rtztgue

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
There is, it's called TetherMe. It involves flipping a bunch of flags and and setting up an APN.

Yes but that requires jailbreak and if i did that I would prefer mywi... plus i am on 4.3.1 so will have to wait for untethered jail break. I did find a directory with code I think is the hotspot. In the itunesbackup it is labeled as

library/preferences/com.apple.mobileinternetsharing.plist. just wondering if that is the directory

heres the current code

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
<key>State</key>
<integer>1021</integer>
<key>Version</key>
<integer>2</integer>
</dict>
</plist>

anyone know if this is what needs to be modified and what it should be changed to if it is?

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
That is just one of many files that must be modified. There is no way of modifying them all without a jailbreak.

eseminario

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2010
I'm also in line waiting for some trick (without jb) o activate personal hotspot feature... I asked my country's carrier and they will not offer the service :(

I don't want to jb my iPhone, I'm tired of bugs, freeze, no internet, restart to get internet data back, etc...

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I'm also in line waiting for some trick (without jb) o activate personal hotspot feature... I asked my country's carrier and they will not offer the service :(

I don't want to jb my iPhone, I'm tired of bugs, freeze, no internet, restart to get internet data back, etc...

You'll be waiting for a very long time:)
It's not gonna happen without a jb.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008

Come to the dark side friend. 4.2.1 jb is solid as the rock of Gibraltar.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.