Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
:(:(Hi
My phone doesnt lock when Im on a call so I always hit buttons or mute the call while Im on it? I got the Phone off a friend and apparently it didnt happen before.
I also Reset the phone and put on my own music ect on it would this have affected it?

Thanks

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
My phone doesnt lock when Im on a call so I always hit buttons or mute the call while Im on it? I got the Phone off a friend and apparently it didnt happen before.
I also Reset the phone and put on my own music ect on it would this have affected it?

Thanks
Since you don't say what kind of phone you have, I can only assume that you are using two tin cans and a string. If you have an iPhone, it would be nice to know which one, and what software version it is running. The proximity sensor is causing your problems, but that was fixed on certain phones with a software upgrade. Soo, without guessing, or more info from you, it is impossible to know if it is software or hardware.

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I assumed because the phone was under the Iphone tips help ...sorry. anyway as far as I know its the iphone 3g. how do i tell what soft ware it is using? -ametuer iphone user

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I assumed because the phone was under the Iphone tips help ...sorry. anyway as far as I know its the iphone 3g. how do i tell what soft ware it is using? -ametuer iphone user
If it is a 3G, it didn't have the proximity sensor glitch, that the iPhone 4 had. That pretty much tells me it is a hardware issue.

Edit: You say that you reset the phone...Which reset did you do. If you haven't, I would connect to iTunes, and Restore As New, and set up as a new phone. I really don't think that will fix it, but it is worth a shot.

Last edited:

TigerBabe

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
Hollywood
Do you have screen protector over it or a skin? I made the mistake and put a skin over it with out punching out the sensor part. lol took me a whole week to figure it out.

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Ok so should I take the phone into a store or will I be able to do it?
I do have a cover over it, but did check without the cover on also. sadly it still doesnt lock even with my hand covering the entire top of the phone

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Ok so should I get take the phone into a store or will I be able to do it?
I do have a cover over it, but did check without the cover on also. sadly it still doesnt lock even with my hand covering the entire top of the phone
I edited my post above...Try the Restore As New, first.

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If it is a 3G, it didn't have the proximity sensor glitch, that the iPhone 4 had. That pretty much tells me it is a hardware issue.

Edit: You say that you reset the phone...Which reset did you do. If you haven't, I would connect to iTunes, and Restore As New, and set up as a new phone. I really don't think that will fix it, but it is worth a shot.

I done a "erase all content and settings" How would I do a reset to new?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
I done a "erase all content and settings" How would I do a reset to new?
That should be OK. If you did that, you don't need to do a Restore. I'm pretty sure that it is a hardware issue, especially since you reset all content and settings.

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Meaning I have stuffed it??:(
I don't think it was anything that you did. It might have been acting up and the previous owner didn't notice it.
BTW, if you ever need to check you firmware/software version, go to settings>general>about, and scroll down to version.

uwetodd

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011

Thanks

I can't remember how the 3G software was set up, but the option to lock the iP4 is under settings>general>auto lock. Then change to 1 or 2 minutes.

I'd also recommend initiating "password lock".

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I don't think it was anything that you did. It might have been acting up and the previous owner didn't notice it.
BTW, if you ever need to check you firmware/software version, go to settings>general>about, and scroll down to version.

hmm OK I brought off a friend who says it has never done it before, It is "Modem Firmware 05.14.02" does this mean anything

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
hmm OK I brought off a friend who says it has never done it before, It is "Modem Firmware 05.14.02" does this mean anything
Yes it does, but that isn't the version...You are looking for "version", modem firmware is at the bottom.

joleneyates

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Yes it does, but that isn't the version...You are looking for "version", modem firmware is at the bottom.

OO I see it is Version 4.1 (8b117)- sorry again I am not so up with technology just want the damn thing not to hang up on people while im talking to them :) or talk without holding the phone horizontal

uwetodd

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2011

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
OO I see it is Version 4.1 (8b117)- sorry again I am not so up with technology just want the damn thing not to hang up on people while im talking to them :) or talk without holding the phone horizontal
Yeah, I know what you mean...You could upgrade it to 4.2, but I still don't think that is gonna fix your problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.