Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mintgreen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 31, 2011
I've been on a month-to-month contract w/ Verizon for a while since my previous long-term contract ended. I'd like to get the iPhone and I'm wondering if it would be better to purchase the iPhone and sign a new 2-year contract at the Verizon store or the Apple store.

If I bought the phone at Verizon, would I be able to get it repaired or replaced (if need be) at the Apple store, or would I have to do so at a Verizon store? I know I can troubleshoot it at Apple, but it seems Apple is a bit more lenient when it comes to required repairs/replacements than Verizon. This is the main reason I'd purchase through Apple rather than Verizon. I loathe dealing w/ customer service and tech support at Verizon stores. The Apple store always seems to provide a better experience.

Also, if I purchased the phone and signed the new contract at the Apple store, and needed to return the phone within 14 days, would I be able to go back to the month-to-month contract I had directly previous to purchasing the phone? I know I can if I purchase directly through Verizon b/c I've done so before, but I'm not sure it applies to phone purchases/returns from other sources.

Thanks so much for the help! I tried searching the forum for the same question but I only found posts about AT&T store vs. Apple store.

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
I got mine from the Verizon store, and they gave me a $30 discount cause I waited almost 2 years before upgrading.

So instead of the $199 price, I had a $169 price.

I'm not sure if the apple store would've given me a discount, and I didn't want to risk the savings, so I went with Verizon.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I'm pretty sure you can get your iPhone repaired/replaced at an Apple Store even if you buy from a Verizon store; it is an Apple product after all.

Apple 26.2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
What up, 212?!
I got mine from the Verizon store, and they gave me a $30 discount cause I waited almost 2 years before upgrading.

I'm not sure if the apple store would've given me a discount, and I didn't want to risk the savings, so I went with Verizon.

Damn, nice bro... I went 14 months after my contract ended to upgrade and still paid the $199 price at AT$T. Jackholes!

Mr. Incredible

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Southern California
Damn, nice bro... I went 14 months after my contract ended to upgrade and still paid the $199 price at AT$T. Jackholes!

You should've switched to Verizon ;):p

But I ordered my phone online, I didn't buy it from the store (again, worried if I would get a discount or not).

When did you upgrade your contract? I say you get the Verizon iPhone next, that is if you have bad At&t coverage.

dumb terminal

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego, CA

When I bought my ViPhone from the 5th Avenue Apple Store, they asked me if I qualified for any additional discounts (new every two). I qualified for the $50 off, so instead of paying $199 for my iPhone, I ended up paying $149 (not including taxes of course).

So even at the Apple store, you should still be able to take advantage of any additional discounts you may have with VZW. I think you can only use corporate/FAN discounts at the Verizon store though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.