Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laoan

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
x264 to H264

No ********!

To convert from x264 to H264 for playable via playstation 3:
Use:

MKV2VOB (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob)

select always Transcode DTS and choice vob! The whole operation takes 30 second! maybe 1 minutes if the cpu is 5 years old! no quality loss everthing is the same! Like you wanted!:D

andre.abreu

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
Brasil, Rio de Janeiro
If I can sugest....

Apple TV 2 only play h264 formatted in profile 3.1!!! See http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/h264-profiles-and-levels/ for better understand

If your MKV video track is Main/Hight@3.1 u can use Subler (http://code.google.com/p/subler/) do mux tracks in to MP4 file without conversion... is very fast method!

Audio compatibility is AC3 or AAC ... if u audio track is DTS u cant mux in to MP4! I sugest to use ffmpeg to convert in to Ac3 and AAC.

I hope to help and sorry for my bad English!

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Great thread.

My goal is to view HD movies on ATV2.

My favorite weapon to convert MKV to M4V (which is better than MP4) without (or with) conversion is: MKVTools. It smartly warns you when something in the original is not going to work by highlighting in red text. Here are my simple steps:

1. Open MKV source file in MVKTools.
2. Go to the MP4 tab.
3. Select AppleTV device.
4a. Select Pass Thru for Video when the source is already 1280x720 or smaller. No transcoding here, thus pretty quick turnaround time.
-or-
4b. Select H264 2-Pass and set the Resolution width to 1280 when the source is larger than 1280x720. This is transcoding the source file, which will take a long time.
5a. Select Pass Thru for Audio when the source is AC3 (5.1).
-or-
5b. Select AC3 (5.1) when the source is a 5.1 channel configuration (DTS, PCM, AAC). I've read that ATV2 will pass thru the AC3 audio and let the audio receiver decode AC3, which most current receivers can do (I don't have one yet). AAC will also work for ATV2, in fact I was doing a lot AAC before I read that ATV2 downmixes AAC 5.1 to stereo (this needs to be confirmed). I am still learning about AC3 vs AAC.
6. Click convert.

Re: Subtitles and Chapters. I haven't been able to mux in subtitles or chapters successfully. Sometimes they show up on my MBP but not ATV2. Or not show up at all entirely. (Update: I've gotten better results for subtitles now using Subler.)

I then use Subler, to add metadata, artwork, and the HD tag.

Also, I use Quicktime with Perian to inspect (Command-I) the MKV source file which tells me what the video and audio formats are beforehand.

MKVTools replaces Handbrake in my view for converting (or not) MKV to M4V. I'd look into Handbrake a little more, if I knew how it did Pass Thru video. Maybe it does not.

Last edited:

ajnicho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2008
There is a program called Gotsent that does the whole remuxing process automatically.

You simply select the input file, and output location and press convert. Very simple.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Great thread.

My favorite weapon to convert MKV to M4V (which is better than MP4) without (or with) conversion is: MKVTools. It smartly warns you when something in the original is not going to work by highlighting in red text. Here are my simple steps:

2. Go to the MP4 tab.
4a. Select Pass Thru for Video when the source is already 1280x720 or smaller. No transcoding here, thus pretty quick turnaround time.
-or-
4b. Select H264 2-Pass and set the Resolution width to 1280 when the source is larger than 1280x720. This is transcoding the source file, which will take a long time.
-or-
5b. Select AC3 (5.1) when the source is a 5.1 channel configuration (DTS, PCM, AAC). I've read that ATV2 will pass thru the AC3 audio and let the audio receiver decode AC3, which most current receivers can do (I don't have one yet). AAC will also work for ATV2, in fact I was doing a lot AAC before I read that ATV2 downmixes AAC 5.1 to stereo (this needs to be confirmed). I am still learning about AC3 vs AAC.
6. Click convert.

Re: Subtitles and Chapters. I haven't been able to mux in subtitles or chapters successfully. Sometimes they show up on my MBP but not ATV2. Or not show up at all entirely. (Update: I've gotten better results for subtitles now using Subler.)

Also, I use Quicktime with Perian to inspect (Command-I) the MKV source file which tells me what the video and audio formats are beforehand.

MKVTools replaces Handbrake in my view for converting (or not) MKV to M4V. I'd look into Handbrake a little more, if I knew how it did Pass Thru video. Maybe it does not.

Thanks for this write-up. I downloaded a .mkv today which had the following:
Video: h624, 5712 kbps, 24fps, 1280 resolution
Audio: dts 6ch

My samsung LED tv I believe can actually .mkv files but the prob is that I don't have it set up to put sound out through the home theater system. The PS3, cable box etc are set up to.

So in order to utilize my home theater system, I have to convert to something the PS3 can play. I followed along on your write-up. Video was fine for the pass through but the audio gave me a red on the "Pass Thru" so I Went with AC3 (5.1) like you suggested.

After this is done I'll figure out what subler's all about so that I can get these subtitles ( in .srt format) in since the movie is in french.

One last question, in reply to this statement: " M4V (which is better than MP4) ", why is that? And how would I have selected to put it in that format? and if I did, would I have not been able to use w/ my PS3?

UPDATE:
ok, it actually outputted a .m4v file (so my now other question is, how do I make it a .mp4 file? when would I want to do this?). The problem is that the resulting file (after putting in the .srt file via subler) was that it was 7.33 GB. The 8gb USB drive I had was originally in FAT format so I converted it to Mac Journaled in disk utility and the PS3 can't read it it seems. I think my option is to split but I don't know easiest way to go about that and how to handle it with a .srt in there

No ********!

To convert from x264 to H264 for playable via playstation 3:
Use:

MKV2VOB (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkv2vob)

select always Transcode DTS and choice vob! The whole operation takes 30 second! maybe 1 minutes if the cpu is 5 years old! no quality loss everthing is the same! Like you wanted!:D

stumbled on this post after I already got started following sampdoria's instructions. Will keep in mind for next time.

Used this today, took about 20 min for a 4GB MKV file. Really nice app. Used about 9% of my processors.

http://www.shedworx.com/mkvwatch

I'd like to give htis a shot but it only converts the first give minutes for free

Last edited:

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Great thread.

2. Go to the MP4 tab.
-or-
-or-
6. Click convert.

Never use aac, its crap compared to ac3. You should have 2 audio tracks though.

subtitles problem you are having is due to you not muxing the file correctly

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
If I can sugest....

Apple TV 2 only play h264 formatted in profile 3.1!!! See http://rob.opendot.cl/index.php/useful-stuff/h264-profiles-and-levels/ for better understand

If your MKV video track is Main/Hight@3.1 u can use Subler (http://code.google.com/p/subler/) do mux tracks in to MP4 file without conversion... is very fast method!

Audio compatibility is AC3 or AAC ... if u audio track is DTS u cant mux in to MP4! I sugest to use ffmpeg to convert in to Ac3 and AAC.

I hope to help and sorry for my bad English!

i have several hd m4v movies on my ipad 2 using high level 4.1

dunno if the apple tv 2 also can handle high level 4.1, as im not home to test this right now, but i can atleast confirm that the ipad 2 plays high level 4.1 just fine.

tweaked my handbreak setting during the week, seems the sweetspot is around 3000-3500bitrate, with good quality/size ratio, i cant believe how much better the file looks compared to other programs (ive tested them all) and how much better this preset is compared to high profile, apple tv preset etc inside handbrake.

Last edited:

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011

Never use ac3, it's crap compared to PCM/TrueHD/DTS HD-MA!

consider that
-Some people don't have 5.1
-Some people will be playing the encodes on their portable devices
-Pro Logic is enough for some people
-The source wont always have 5.1

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

henrikrox said:

subtitles problem you are having is due to you not muxing the file correctly

Agree! Use AC3 for the surround audio track (which ATV2 will pass through to an audio receiver capable of decoding AC3- most nowadays do) and also add 2nd AAC stereo audio track for every other device that doesn't have surround audio (e.g. iPhones, iPads, laptops, etc). All of this is done using MKVTools.

I've gotten better with subs and chapters too using Subler. Look for a post from me from a few weeks ago.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
Never use ac3, it's crap compared to PCM/TrueHD/DTS HD-MA!

consider that
-Some people don't have 5.1
-Some people will be playing the encodes on their portable devices
-Pro Logic is enough for some people
-The source wont always have 5.1

We arent in the ipod forum now are we. Its called apple tv and home theater.

And ofcourse ac3 is worse then dts hd, but we are talking apple formats here :p

Doesnt matter if people dont have 5.1 surround system, even the simplest tv/media equipment will downmix the 5.1 to stereo. And with 5.1 you are not screwed down the line

Last edited:

sampdoria

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

henrikrox said:
Doesnt matter if people dont have 5.1 surround system, even the simplest tv/media equipment will downmix the 5.1 to stereo. And with 5.1 you are not screwed down the line

Some devices will downmix AAC 5.1 to stereo but not AC3, thus the need for the 2nd stereo audio track for non surround audio devices. But I do see your point about future proofing yourself by keeping the AAC 5.1 as the 2nd track.

BlackMangoTree

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2010
AC3 is crap based on what ? People and their stupid claims. Simply no idea.

Do some real ABX tests then get back to us.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
We arent in the ipod forum now are we. Its called apple tv and home theater.

And ofcourse ac3 is worse then dts hd, but we are talking apple formats here :p

Wait, I'm confused. I've been encoding my DVD rips in Handbrake using:

1. English (AC3) (5.1), Codec AC3, Mixdown 6-Channel discrete, Samplerate Auto, Bitrate 640
2. English (DTS), Codec AC3, Stereo, Auto, 256

My aTV 2 is channeling everything from a local storage device hooked up to the ethernet port through XBMC into my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. The Pioneer system handles everything thrown at it, 7.1+, THX, DDII, etc. My intention is for the first track maintain full audio quality for my surround sound system on my Pioneer AVR and Plasma, and a second audio stereo audio track for iDevices. From my research I assumed AC3 is the best choice with 6-channel discrete to cover all my bases. Is this correct?

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004

1. English (AC3) (5.1), Codec AC3, Mixdown 6-Channel discrete, Samplerate Auto, Bitrate 640

My aTV 2 is channeling everything from a local storage device hooked up to the ethernet port through XBMC into my Pioneer Elite VSX-33. The Pioneer system handles everything thrown at it, 7.1+, THX, DDII, etc. My intention is for the first track maintain full audio quality for my surround sound system on my Pioneer AVR and Plasma, and a second audio stereo audio track for iDevices. From my research I assumed AC3 is the best choice with 6-channel discrete to cover all my bases. Is this correct?

Right. It's best to keep two audio tracks with your 264 video. One is AC3 and the other is AAC Stereo. Then you can move it to an iPhone, iPod etc

peterjcat

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2010

From my research I assumed AC3 is the best choice with 6-channel discrete to cover all my bases. Is this correct?

For the first track, if the DVD already has an AC3 track then the Codec and Mixdown should be AC3 Passthru to avoid re-encoding. Otherwise use AC3 and 6-Channel Discrete to convert whatever audio to AC3.

For the second track, the Codec should be AAC (CoreAudio) rather than AC3, that might just have been a typo. The Mixdown can be either Stereo or Dolby Pro Logic II.

andyroochoo

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2010
Newcastle Upon Tyne. UK
Why don't you go to the awkwardtv.org forums and do a little research before you bash on people trying to help you?!? They have a bunch of stuff on the issues with Matroska files and I know nito has been playing with it for his nitoTV plug-in. Never hurts to do a little searching on the web first...

Attitude check required @OP

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Not to revive an old thread, but Handbrake now supports DTS in M4P containers. Recent builds just added it, so no need for MKV for DTS. :)

Oh, and thanks everyone for your help last year, I mastered Handbrake, Subler, etc. and bought a Mac Mini last month to replace my aTV First Gen with a Crystal HD graphics card for 1080P (worked well, but I wanted a full home theatre center). Works amazingly, especially now that you can play Blu-Ray's on OS X with a new app, Mac Blu-Ray Player. Attached an LG 3D USB Blu-Ray drive to the Mini, but most of my Blu-Ray rips play without issue from my NAS. Replaced two Apple TV's (1st and 2nd gen), an old Sony Blu-Ray player, for a small Mac Mini and USB Blu-Ray drive. Fantastic with Plex! :)

robertpolson

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Make your life easier and just use iVI. It autoamtically transcodes MKV to M4V without conversion and adds proper metadata. http://www.southpolesoftware.com/iVI/iVI.php

randyharris

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Ok, I'll bite...what does it do (or do better) that a myriad of apps already around (Subler, mp4tools, iVI, iFlicks, etc) can't do?

Subler can't convert DTS to AC3 5.1, iFlicks is really a different purpose, haven't personally played with MP4tools or iVI.

But to reiterate, it is absolutely a stellar graphical tool for going quickly from an MKV with x264/h264 video and any audio to an iTunes/AppleTV compatible file. Every single file I've tested plays great on the AppleTV. Many of the tools out there use wrappers so that iTunes can import the video - but it's not playable on an AppleTV, this makes AppleTV compatible M4V's very fast and easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.