Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

projectone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 5, 2008
Is there anything better than dropbox for file syncing that i am not aware of?

Oh. and if anyone can help me, it would be very nice if someone would help me bump up my storage space by signing up and install dropbox at this link [removed].:D

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
No no i completely agree. I thought it was still on mac. Apparently they completely withdrew their mac offering as of july 31st. That's ridiculous because the program was amazing and killed dropbox. Oh well. Way to give up the market. I humbly revise my answer

devburke

Oct 16, 2008
is dropbox encrypted?

i'm not convinced it is..?

It is

Last edited by Mitthrawnuruodo : May 21, 2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Referral links are not allowed

I wasn’t aware that referral links weren’t allowed. My apologies for starting a Dropbox referral thread the other day. I do have a question though: what if you really are referring someone? Like say if the OP had been asking if anyone knew of a good program that does what Dropbox happens to do. If I were to reply with a referral link to Dropbox, would that be allowed? It seems like it should be, as that’s exactly what referral links are meant for…referring people.

jamin100

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
i've just cancelled by dropbox account and am now using JungleDisk.
I know they are 2 completely different ideas but my storage needs changed

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm trying dropbox right now. I have mobileme but given how badly iDisk performs, it won't take much for me to be blown away.

McShizzel

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2008
Canada
For me Dropbox works really well for keeping files updated and in hand.

I've tried Box.net but prefer Dropbox, if there's anything that's better for my needs I haven't found it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wasn’t aware that referral links weren’t allowed....
From Forum Rules:
Instantly Bannable Offenses
These can be one-time bannable offenses for which you will not get a warning.
3. Pyramid schemes. MacRumors does not condone multi-level marketing schemes (e.g. free iPods or Macs if you refer X number of people). Members who post referral links to these sites will have their posts/signatures edited and may be subject to banning. New members who post solely for this purpose will be immediately banned.
... If I were to reply with a referral link to Dropbox, would that be allowed? It seems like it should be, as that’s exactly what referral links are meant for…referring people.
Sure, you can post a link to a recommended site. The difference comes when you're referring them to a link that helps you benefit directly in some way.

devburke

Oct 16, 2008

Oh I wasn’t disputing it, just saying I didn’t know.

Sure, you can post a link to a recommended site. The difference comes when you're referring them to a link that helps you benefit directly in some way.

But what if it’s both? If you’re recommending Dropbox to someone anyway, is it ok to use your referral link? It is a referral after all, and giving the referral link rather than regular benefits not only you, but the person you’re referring it to. It seems like the way referral links are meant to be used.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
But what if it’s both? If you’re recommending Dropbox to someone anyway, is it ok to use your referral link? It is a referral after all, and giving the referral link rather than regular benefits not only you, but the person you’re referring it to. It seems like the way referral links are meant to be used.
You can recommend Dropbox by posting the generic link with no problems at all. If you post another link that benefits you in a direct way, it's my understanding that's a forum violation. When in doubt, checking with the moderators before posting is always a good idea.

html

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2009
Denver
Advisement on the Rules

From Forum Rules:

This particular forum rule is complex and in need of clarification, as a simple referral link to a service that does more than compensate people for their recruiting does not constitute a multi-level marketing or pyramid scheme. Nevertheless, I would avoid posting referral links to things like Dropbox, Syncplicity, or software bundles like Macheist or Mac Bundle Box.

ooninay

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2009
Toronto
I've been using Dropbox's free option (up to 2 GB) for a few weeks now, after having tried easily over a dozen different syncing strategies between my computers over the years (including ChronoSync, iDisk, Windows Live Sync... the list goes on and on...) I'm amazed at how good and problem-free Dropbox has been, unlike all the others (some are very good, but there was always something that got up my nose). Dropbox is good stuff!

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
so far dropbox has been very reliable. the iphone app is not great you can't copy say a picture from dropbox into a email. you can send a link but I needed the actual picture. you can only select one picture at a time.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
mozy is pretty good. For the paid service, you get unlimited storage.

I agree Mozy is great... but it is a totally different application than Dropbox. There is a small amount of overlap... but for the most part:

Mozy - cloud backup
Dropbox - folder synchronization

Having said that... and to answer the OP's question... I personally use dropbox for "fast synchronization" between my various machines. I use Mobile Me for "larger capacity synchronization" between my various machines.

If I did not have Mobile Me, then I would get a paid dropbox account... because the file sync features of dropbox are better than the iDisk features of mobile me. However, MM address more than just "file sync", so it makes sense for me to have a mobile me account... and unfortunately for the good folks at dropbox... that means that their free product meets my needs.

/Jim

Justaguy3

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Is there anything better than dropbox for file syncing that i am not aware of?

Oh. and if anyone can help me, it would be very nice if someone would help me bump up my storage space by signing up and install dropbox at this link [removed].:D

Tonido is better than DropBox,allows you to download Torrents offline, they give you HUGE amounts of storage compared to the latter.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I'm trying out SugarSync at the moment, as an alternative to DropBox, or - more likely - in addition to DropBox.

Initial reaction: SugarSync feels a bit cruder than DropBox, and the setup is a bit more cumbersome, but it also gives you a bit more control (as far as I can tell) and a bit more (initial) free space.

willpower101

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2009
This is not competing with DB.

I am using DB with a maxed out free account at 18.9GB and this service totally rules everything out.

Huh? My free account maxes at 2gb.

Anyway, we need to share 3gb of files for a group project. However when we do this is wrecks everyone's personal dropbox. So we're moving to a better cloud solution instead of a syncing solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.