Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RocketLove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Since last night, I closed my macbook pro 15" while it was on and opened it and had a black screen. I turned it off, took out the batteryand nothing helped. I tried to reset the PRAM but it didn't seem to work. I was going to reinstall OSX to see if that would do anything but I'm afraid it won't. Anyone have any suggestions?

jdreier

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2010
^ what they said

also,

Does the computer seem to turn on, but just the screen doesn't turn on...?

RocketLove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
^ what they said

also,

Does the computer seem to turn on, but just the screen doesn't turn on...?

I hear a clicking noise for when it starts to turn off and then nothing, the light at the front of the computer is faint and stays faint

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I bought it in 2008 its the Macbook Pro 15" with a 2.4 GHZ processer

Bring it in to an apple store, your graphics card is most likely shot, it's been a known problem for almost 3 years now. Apple will put in a new logic board for free under the extended warranty on that graphics card(4 years from date of purchase). I have the same computer and got mine changed a few weeks ago.

nyzwerewolf

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Long Island, NY
there is no cost for repair for that issue. Apple will do it for free even if you are not under warranty. It is an issue with NVIDIA.

But we are not yet sure that if your issue is with the Logic Board..

RocketLove

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Bring it in to an apple store, your graphics card is most likely shot, it's been a known problem for almost 3 years now. Apple will put in a new logic board for free under the extended warranty on that graphics card(4 years from date of purchase). I have the same computer and got mine changed a few weeks ago.

I think I will, having this happens is very frustrating

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.