Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-AbbeyRoad-

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
What are the risks of jailbreaking your iPhone? I'm still on the fence on whether I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not.

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
1. Using device to it's full potential.
2. Feeling regret that others with iPhones haven't done this yet.

LucasG

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2010
Personally if I didn't have to unlock for my carrier, I'd definitely avoid jailbreaking it, have no real need to, but since I do, I use biteSMS. Nothing else.

ClutchThese

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
Alexandria, VA
the biggest risk is that you will always want to continue jailbreaking. This will lead to frusteration after you have to wait if you update your phone premeture to a new JB. :)

Enjoy the Jailbreak. It's really THAT much better.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
just don't install too many apps or tweaks.

for myself, i only jailbreak because i want to use springtomize to disable lock screen, make UI animation a little bit faster, and of course 3G unrestrictor to do facetime over 3G. that's all. oh and i deleted some unused LaunchDaemons to get my iPhone 4 have more memory than before :D

update: i make my volume buttons to act as a brightness control with springtomize, because the multitasking bar already has a volume slider if i need to increase/decrease the volume. very life saver.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Reasons why jb wouldn't be for you
-you like to pirate programs. JB is about expanding the capabilities of your iphone; it's not here to help you steal from hard-working programmers. If you want to pirate, get lost.
-you always update to the latest iOS the first day it comes out
-you don't like to search MR or google for answers to your jb questions (e.g., how to downgrade the iOS, why should I jb)
-you're not willing to do basic things to keep your jb protected (see the above reason)

Do more research about jb and what programs are available. More importantly, start reading any thread where people are having issues with their jb.

bmwhd

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
What are the risks of jailbreaking your iPhone? I'm still on the fence on whether I should jailbreak my iPhone 4 or not.

I'd echo what others here have posted. 4.2.1 on my IP4 was my first JB and I will never go back to OEM firmware. There's so much you can do once JB'd that it's just impossible to imagine giving it up.

The risks are very small. You can always go back to the latest OEM firmware. At worst you might have to re-sync your content with iTunes.

gngan

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2009
MacWorld
Reasons why jb wouldn't be for you
-you don't like to search MR or google for answers to your jb questions (e.g., how to downgrade the iOS, why should I jb)

Do more research about jb and what programs are available. More importantly, start reading any thread where people are having issues with their jb.

I am sure there will be a lot less people JBing if this is true. People these day can't read.

iApples

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2011
The main risk is that one day you may have to go back to a normal non jailbroken iPhone. You'll hate it.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Not necessarily. People who read about the problems experienced will learn what they need to avoid.
The people who have problems with their jb, for the most part, are people who didn't save their blobs, updated prematurely or used pirate programs. Sure, there are some legitimate issues, but the user had to restore, turn off wifi sync or some other relatively simple fix. The only unsolveable problems had to do with hardware or because the OP couldn't enter DFU. :rolleyes:
I am sure there will be a lot less people JBing if this is true. People these day can't read.

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
The risk is you'll realize how much time you wasted being locked down

WeAre138

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2011
Jailbroke for about two months and updated to 4.3.1 two days ago and wanted to wait a few days before jailbreaking again just to kind of compare my user experience. I lasted one day before jailbreaking again. So yea, like the other person posted, only risk is realizing you may have to go un-jailbroken again some day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.