Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
I have a new Mac Mini Base model, 1.25ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hd. So far so good, everything seems snappy and useable. Networked to my PC with nary an issue. So far a couple culture shock things coming from the PC world - IE, closing a program window does not CLOSE the program.... Except in some cases... lol. Some what confusing to me, i guess it just takes getting used too. Also had some issues with my color profile, getting it to work correctly on my monitor, I had purple icons and stuff, but got that licked too.

Well, if anyone has any questions about the power of a stock mac mini, send em here, and we will bench this puppy till it cries!

Here is your chance to find out just how useable a base mac mini really is!

Bill

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
sorry to "crash the party" so to speak, but mac mini is nothing new inside. it should compare more or less with an iBook.

what would be useful is information on noise, heat, etc...

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
jxyama said:
sorry to "crash the party" so to speak, but mac mini is nothing new inside. it should compare more or less with an iBook.

My understanding is that compares pretty well with an iBook as well.

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
jxyama said:

Sorry to "crash Your party" but the mini is closer to the eMac than the iBook.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
jxyama said:

Nah, the party is still on.. crashers welcome!

Noise = Practically NIL. HD access and CD drive are the only noises to be heard.

I have yet to get the fan to come on. I have yet to dig through the settings, but I am pretty sure there is no speed throttling on this unit.

Bill

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
jxyama said:

Actually more in common with the eMac with its faster frontside bus.

surfsofa

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2004
Bay Area
BillHarrison said:
I have a new Mac Mini Base model, 1.25ghz, 256mb ram, 40gb hd. So far so good, everything seems snappy and useable. Networked to my PC with nary an issue. So far a couple culture shock things coming from the PC world - IE, closing a program window does not CLOSE the program.... Except in some cases... lol. Some what confusing to me, i guess it just takes getting used too. Also had some issues with my color profile, getting it to work correctly on my monitor, I had purple icons and stuff, but got that licked too.

Well, if anyone has any questions about the power of a stock mac mini, send em here, and we will bench this puppy till it cries!

Bill

Be interesting to see how well it copes with the CPU running at 100% the whole time (ie. fan etc.). Maybe try running Folding@home on it?

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Tuned MP5T said:
Beside iLife do you find any of the other apps useful? How's does it run when your using iTunes, Surfing the Net, and email?

Well, so far using iChat, iTunes, and browsing the web have been perfectly responsive. I can feel SOME lag due to the low ram. Mainly when loading large web pages (graphically intensive) and then switching back and forth to other programs. BUT, I am coming from a DUAL processor 2.3ghz Athlon System, so part of this is probably just me.

Certainly nothing bad... I have noticed a few of what I would call "switcher" issues, but nothing of a terrible sort. Minor inconvienences, and a few things that are less than immediately intuititive. The Mini came with Ilife 04 installed, I immediately installed Ilife '05 on it. So far only app I have used is garage band. And not well at that, i have no idea how to use it, as I am far less than musically talented. :p But it does work.

So far, i give it a 7 out of 10, especially due to some driver issues with my monitor which made all of my colors out of whack (icons were a crazy purple color!).

Thanks

Bill

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
surfsofa said:
Be interesting to see how well it copes with the CPU running at 100% the whole time (ie. fan etc.). Maybe try running Folding@home on it?

Will do, I will let you know. I will be upping the ram within a few weeks, for the time being she is stuck where she is at, as the only Dimms I have around are 256, and with one slot, that doesnt help any!

hwyengr

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2005
I picked up my mini on Saturday. I've been able to kick in the fan on 3 occasions, once while playing chess, once while converting a MPEG-4 video stream from the iSight into a DV stream for iMovie, and once on a webpage that had a significant number of animated smileys on it. The fan is variable speed, and when it gets up to full blast, it does make some noise. And it moves quite a bit of air, too.

I would have installed iLife '05, but my Combo drive won't mount disks. Apple is having me send the whole unit back to them, and they'll drop ship me a new Mini. Hopefully they've stashed a few aside and won't make me wait 3-4 weeks.

V.A.Toss

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2003
hmmm, 256 isnt much when it comes to OSX. For some unknown reason to me OSX requires more RAM than XP. I run my XP machine on 256 just fine.

But with more RAM you should see it run much much nicer.

Out of interest, on first impressions what features are better and worse between the two OS? Just trying to see the OSX from another perspective.

I think youll find OSX come into its own when you begin to use peripherals with the machine. Digital cameras, ipods, etc.
Thats the biggest difference i found when i got a PC, drivers were always a bitch, and it wasnt as seamless.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Best way to max it out that mini is throw a decent FPS on it. Try UT2003,2004 Demo or something like Call of duty,Medal of Honor whatever. See if you can run stuff at say 800 x600 resolutions and report your settings. If you dont have the titles the demo's are easy to get.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Dont Hurt Me said:
Best way to max it out that mini is throw a decent FPS on it. Try UT2003,2004 Demo or something like Call of duty,Medal of Honor whatever. See if you can run stuff at say 800 x600 resolutions and report your settings. If you dont have the titles the demo's are easy to get.

Will Do.

At work right now guys, but when I get home, I am making a list of to do's.

Thanks

Bill

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
BillHarrison said:

Bill

This isn't a performance related question, but how tall is the gap that allows air in along the bottom edge? There should be a gap between the aluminum and the desk surface.

I know some will criticize me for it, but I don't really care...there's a product called "Glowire" that's an illuminated tube of sorts, that puts out a good amount of light. Once my mini arrives, I plan on installing the glowire inside, along the area between the mini's internals, and the outer shell. Hopefully light will spill out through the vent holes and onto the desk surface. The Glowire plugs into a molex connector, but I'm sure there's a way to easily adapt it to draw power from any of the components...maybe split the molex connector on the superdrive if it has one. The glowire has a small switchbox that it comes with, but there should be room for that somewhere since I'm not having BT or AE installed.

I'll take photos in a month when I get it and perform the mod...but I'm sure someone else will have done it by then.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Peyote said:
This isn't a performance related question, but how tall is the gap that allows air in along the bottom edge? There should be a gap between the aluminum and the desk surface.

I know some will criticize me for it, but I don't really care...there's a product called "Glowire" that's an illuminated tube of sorts, that puts out a good amount of light. Once my mini arrives, I plan on installing the glowire inside, along the area between the mini's internals, and the outer shell. Hopefully light will spill out through the vent holes and onto the desk surface. The Glowire plugs into a molex connector, but I'm sure there's a way to easily adapt it to draw power from any of the components...maybe spilt the molex connector on the superdrive if it has one. The glowire has a small switchbox that it comes with, but there should be room for that somewhere since I'm not having BT or AE installed.

I'll take photos in a month when I get it and perform the mod...but I'm sure someone else will have done it by then.

I will have to measure it when i get home, but i would estimate 1/4" give or take. Its not very high. However the whole bottom is surrounded by holes, so that probably gives it sufficient air intake. It does run fairly cool, the body being cold to the touch even when in use. If you place your hand near the rear vents, its slightly warm but not by much.

Bill

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
Spock said:
Sorry to "crash Your party" but the mini is closer to the eMac than the iBook.

yep, sure, you (and others) are right but that wasn't really my point.

my point was, mini has nothing new in it. "benchmarking" a hardware that's already been in circulation for quite some time sounded redundant to me. that's all.

info about the heat, fan, etc. is very much appreciated as can only be described by someone owning the new machine.

sambront

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2004
Confirmed...

I've called Seagate and confirmed that the model number "ST940110A" is an OEM version of their "ST94011A" drive, which is a 5400RPM drive w/2MB cache.

Chip NoVaMac said:
Maybe or maybe not according to this site:

http://www.applelegal.com/other_comments.php?id=205_0_7_0_C

Some users maybe getting the 4200rpm, and some getting the 5400rpm. And according to Barefeets, there may be little difference in performance in the 2.5" drives between the 5400 and 7200 HDDs.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
sambront said:
I've called Seagate and confirmed that the model number "ST940110A" is an OEM version of their "ST94011A" drive, which is a 5400RPM drive w/2MB cache.

Awesome, thats some bonus news, and almost makes the low end mini an even greater deal. A faster hd, and only slightly slower processor!

Me thinks the low end mini will easily run at 1.42 ghz (a 170mhz o/c is really not much !)

Now, just need to figure out how to overclock the bad boy.

:p

Tuned MP5T

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2004
New York City
BillHarrison said:
Well, so far using iChat, iTunes, and browsing the web have been perfectly responsive. I can feel SOME lag due to the low ram. Mainly when loading large web pages (graphically intensive) and then switching back and forth to other programs. BUT, I am coming from a DUAL processor 2.3ghz Athlon System, so part of this is probably just me.

Certainly nothing bad... I have noticed a few of what I would call "switcher" issues, but nothing of a terrible sort. Minor inconvienences, and a few things that are less than immediately intuititive. The Mini came with Ilife 04 installed, I immediately installed Ilife '05 on it. So far only app I have used is garage band. And not well at that, i have no idea how to use it, as I am far less than musically talented. :p But it does work.

So far, i give it a 7 out of 10, especially due to some driver issues with my monitor which made all of my colors out of whack (icons were a crazy purple color!).

Thanks

Bill
iLife04? On Apple's website it says the Mac Mini comes with iLife 05.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
Tuned MP5T said:
iLife04? On Apple's website it says the Mac Mini comes with iLife 05.

Ilife 05 is included on a disc, but not pre installed. Not a biggie for me, I actually prefer having it optional.

Thanks

Bill

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Chip NoVaMac said:
Maybe or maybe not according to this site:

http://www.applelegal.com/other_comments.php?id=205_0_7_0_C

Some users maybe getting the 4200rpm, and some getting the 5400rpm. And according to Barefeets, there may be little difference in performance in the 2.5" drives between the 5400 and 7200 HDDs.

Wow, if this is true, this is stunning! Should be front page news. And all those complaining of a "crippled" hard drive should have to eat crow.

BillHarrison

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2003
dejo said:
Wow, if this is true, this is stunning! Should be front page news. And all those complaining of a "crippled" hard drive should have to eat crow.

Certainly seems to be: See the post above where a poster actually contacted seagate and confirmed the drives model number and specs. Looks like the 40giger is faster than the 80 Gigger!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.