Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

171213-6a0120a5580826970c014e60674b23970c-800wi_500.jpg

PatentlyApple reveals a new patent granted to Apple from the US Patent and Trademark Office. The patent describes what appears to be a new dock connector that can support both DisplayPort/USB 3.0.
Apple has been granted a powerful patent that packs quite the wallop. Somehow they snuck a secret patent application through the system for an all-new high speed connector that will combine at least USB 3.0 and DisplayPort. Although the patent illustrates an iPod as being one of the first to adopt this, the patent clarifies that it's for all future Mac hardware as well.
The 30-pin connector has been a staple of Apple's iPod, iPhone and iPad lines as their universal docking connector for syncing and accessories. This patent application was previously spotted during the application phase, but has renewed interest now given Apple's recent commitment to Thunderbolt connector which shares the same physical form factor as DisplayPort.

Article Link: Apple Dock Connector to Support DisplayPort, USB 3.0, Thunderbolt?

noahtk

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
US
Nice going...

Apple should've held out on the refresh to include USB 3 and even HDMI. Thunderbolt and the is currently useless.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Fantastic. Apple should have Thunderbolt across most of their Mac line by the time this comes out on the iPhone 5/iPad 3, and most new PCs will have USB 3.

Super-high-speed syncing, plus possibly external devices due to Thunderbolt's daisy chain ability?

It could make an iPad/iPhone accessories market of Thunderbolt devices that pushes adoption...

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
While I don't see anything that specifically mentions thunderbolt other than Macrumors' own speculation, I would find it hard to believe this wouldn't include it if it were to see the light of day. the 30 pin dock is a BIG connector- plenty of real-estate for a next-gen version to incorporate all of these standards from the looks of it.

My questions are:

Will it be backwards-compatible

Obviously you'll need to buy different cables according to what the other end is plugging into (Thunderbolt or USB 2/3)....but will apple include both or charge $25 for the other one?

It's smart to include USB 3, especially on "iToys", as it will eventually become the standard. The only way to avoid it would be to stop putting USB ports on their computers all together, and that will alienate all of their non-mac "iToy" customers (probably the majority).

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
:( I am starting to think why do i have a mac, as i need so many dam adapters.

Exacly what a friend of mine said when he got his new macbook and found out he needed to buy new adapters since in the 3 years they removed many (such as the analogue audio ports)

Howardchief

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Exacly what a friend of mine said when he got his new macbook and found out he needed to buy new adapters since in the 3 years they removed many (such as the analogue audio ports)

I don't understand this. Could you or someone explain this to me please?

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Why can't they just make a JACK connector, with 4 wires, like for the iPod Shuffle? That would allow everything to go through ONE port, it would be easy to manufacture, compatible, and there would be no wrong way of connecting it. Not to mention it's tiny.

You could then replace all the USB, Thunderbolt, FireWire 400, FireWire 800 and all that random stuff with ONE connector that would be easy to connect, cheap to buy and it would be very small and secure.

Wake me up when it will be possible to supply data at high speed and enough power through 4 cables with a jack connector.

haushinka

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2009
This is all they have now

MagSafe power port
Gigabit Ethernet port
Mini DisplayPort
Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Audio in/out
Kensington lock slot

Audio in/out IS the "headset jack". You can plug in the iphone headset and the mac will recognize both the mic and headphones.

strabes

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010

Ivan0310

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2011
Dallas, TX
This is all they have now

MagSafe power port
Gigabit Ethernet port
Mini DisplayPort
Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Audio in/out
Kensington lock slot

That audio in/out is definitely your standard headphone/mic connection. If you or your friend didn't understand this, I feel sorry for you.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I thought they were committed to Thunderbolt and ignoring USB 3.0

This might have a lot to do with the huge number of PC users who also have iPhones. Apple won't want to alienate that crowd (likely the majority), and they know that USB 3 is already catching on in a big way in the PC world, while Thunderbolt will have to work hard to catch up.

aiqw9182

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
I think you're misinformed. The current models simply combined the 1/8" in and out jacks into one port (TRRS), just like the port on the iPhone. For example, you can plug your iPhone headphones into your Mac for use as a headset.

It also supports optical via mini-TOSlink: http://www.amazon.com/6ft-Toslink-Mini-Cable/dp/B000FMXKC8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302041837&sr=8-2

I believe he's referring to headsets that don't have the audio in and out jack combined into one. The line-in port on Macs don't have any power to support a microphone. This is why the Griffin iMic exists.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.