Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
I initialy loved the smart cover (red leather) but found, they leave 3 great big horizontal dirty lines accross your screen rather then what was suggested by the advertising "microfiber that cleans your screen when you close it" ( paraphrasing)

I guess its partly because when using it as a stand, its the microfiber side which is making contact with the surface, be it a desk or a table, which in some cases might be dusty, dust which then transfers to the screen?

anyone else have similar experiences?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I know the Apple iPad portfolio case does this to my iPad ... easy to wipe off but semi annoying all the same.

manticore999

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2011
Yeah, I noticed that with mine too. I have a new case coming today, so I'll be ditching the smart cover. It's a great idea, but I wanted more protection that it provides.

brayhite

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
N. Kentucky
But they're easily removable, right? That's my main concern. My iPhone 4 screen gets greasy looking all the time, but as long as a clean tissue can wipe it off, then that's all I care about.

Gotta think long-term.

kaelell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 16, 2009
But they're easily removable, right? That's my main concern. My iPhone 4 screen gets greasy looking all the time, but as long as a clean tissue can wipe it off, then that's all I care about.

Gotta think long-term.

yea it is easily wipeable, just a bit frustrating at times, because if you wipe down your iPad before leaving the house, close the case and pack it away in your bag. When you next take it out to use it, there will be 3 big dusty lines and you will have to carry a wipe. Its fine if it picked up smudges, fingerprints etc during use and you would just wipe clean at the end of a session ready to be used next time, but unfortunatly thats not quite the case.

Apart from this flaw, I do like the cover however, its a great demonstration piece to someone who hasnt ever used or held an iPad/smart case.

zackwhitman

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2011
clean off your smartcover every once in a while? dust might build up in the 3 cracks and guess what you might actually have to clean it off like everything else in this world and then you wont have to clean off your ipad EVERY time you open it.:)

v66jack

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
London, UK
Having the same problem. Im not sure exactly how it cleans the screen, just seems to leave massive lines.

If someone came up with a cover which cleaned off fingerprints. That's where the $$$ is.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
clean off your smartcover every once in a while? dust might build up in the 3 cracks and guess what you might actually have to clean it off like everything else in this world and then you wont have to clean off your ipad EVERY time you open it.:)

curious, how you would clean the smart cover?

jamets515

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2011
Gloucester, UK
I'm still tempted by one of those Miniot covers. The design doesn't look like there would be any space for dirt to build up but I'm going to wait it out a bit longer and see what other case makers do as a smart cover alternative. I like my neoprene slip case though. Front and back protection. Only problem is it's a bit loose as it was made for iPad 1.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
curious, how you would clean the smart cover?

I find a 2.5" dry paint brush works wonders, just as it did on the original Apple iPad case. That microfiber traps dust like a mutha, a light brushing lifts it out and sends it airborne. Circle of life, beautiful in it's way. :)

I think I was one of the only folks with a clean "like new" iPad case having used it for an entire year to boot. Most I saw out and about were filthy and disgusting, mine looked like brand new.

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
maybe i'll give those 2 suggestions a try once i notice mine getting dirty. i was also thinking maybe those lint brushes (the ones you go one in one direction only). but doubt this will help with any grease that the cover picks up off the screen.

smart cover is a neat idea....but definitely wasn't completely thought out.

bass93

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Yours leaves horizontal lines? That's weird...cuz my friend's one has vertical lines...

*Note the sarcasm*

thesiren

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
outer space
Yours leaves horizontal lines? That's weird...cuz my friend's one has vertical lines...

*Note the sarcasm*

This.

Vertical. Not horizontal. And this seriously is not rocket science, guys. The smart cover is not dirty -- your screen was -- and your smart cover's microfiber cleaned it by absorbing the oils your mitts left behind.

The lines? Partitions in the cover where the magnets do not meet, and thusly, the microfiber does not make contact with the screen.

Go to college FFS

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010
This.

Vertical. Not horizontal. And this seriously is not rocket science, guys. The smart cover is not dirty -- your screen was -- and your smart cover's microfiber cleaned it by absorbing the oils your mitts left behind.

The lines? Partitions in the cover where the magnets do not meet, and thusly, the microfiber does not make contact with the screen.

Go to college FFS

I'm sure you feel all high and mighty pointing out something that I'm sure OP thought off. The point is that the smart cover is faulty by design. Overal it's better to have a fully smudged screen (at least it's all the same and less distracting) than having 3 very smudgy lines in a field of lesser smudge.

And no, the smartcover doesn't "clean" it in the sense that I still have to do with my loose microfibre cloth.

The best solution in my case was putting on a anti glare film which reduced smudging by a lot.

Also, the smart cover will get dirty, where do you think all the grease and dust it picks up?

Also, "it's not rocket science" implies that it's a very simple thing to grasp, why would they need to go to college? Then again, American college is nothing more than expensive daycare for adults, so you might have a point.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
I agree, the smart over is a brilliant idea but does have this flaw.

A guy where I work has an ipad with a smart cover and he pointed out the same thing. Iv'e noticed that he has dirty bands across teh screen too.

What they need to do is to have the segment which touches the surface the outside of teh cover. When you do this with teh current cover it collapses though. They need a fold out liner maybe

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Then again, American college is nothing more than expensive daycare for adults, so you might have a point.

Are you serious? "American colleges" are the best universities in the world.

Our primary and secondary education systems may have problems, but there's still nothing that touches our universities. Try again.

http://www.arwu.org/ARWU2010.jsp
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
http://www.usnews.com/education/wor.../2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-top-400-

Xeperu

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2010

Our primary and secondary education systems may have problems, but there's still nothing that touches our universities. Try again.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2010
http://www.usnews.com/education/wor.../2010/09/21/worlds-best-universities-top-400-

Perhaps on the MSc and PhD levels. I teach at a European and Asian university and my experience can tell you that US BSc students struggle to keep up with the European and Asian BSc students with over the line lower grades and more hours spend studying.

Our highest dropout rates are from US students, who generally we're top of their class in the states.

We hear stories from US PhD students who are pretty much sleepless in their doctorate phase because of the insane level increase. EU and Asian students seem to cope much better with the perhaps limited increase in level.

On the other note, EU and Asian students seem to thrive at US MSc and PhD instutions because of the general lower level gap.
Try again.

bpaluzzi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
London
Perhaps on the MSc and PhD levels. I teach at a European and Asian university and my experience can tell you that US BSc students struggle to keep up with the European and Asian BSc students with over the line lower grades and more hours spend studying.

Our highest dropout rates are from US students, who generally we're top of their class in the states.

We hear stories from US PhD students who are pretty much sleepless in their doctorate phase because of the insane level increase. EU and Asian students seem to cope much better with the perhaps limited increase in level.

On the other note, EU and Asian students seem to thrive at US MSc and PhD instutions because of the general lower level gap.
Try again.

You're comparing students, not universities. And as long as we're talking in anecdotes, I know plenty of foreign-born students that crashed and burned in my US university (undergraduate and graduate programs). Anecdotes are useless. Look at third-party rankings, EVERY one of which shows US universities dominating the top of the rankings, with UK universities also making a strong showing. The rest of Europe and Asia are far, far behind.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010

Psst, "Cambridge University, United Kingdom" (ranked 1st on two of the three listings) is NOT an "American college". So much for a world class education system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.