Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobbychoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I got the Star Walk app for the iPad 2. However, the compass doesn't seem to work right. It just goes up and down -- does not go east and west. Just wondering if any one else has been experiencing difficulties so I can exclude a hardware defect.

It seems to work fine with the Compass and Jenga app so I think the hardware should be ok, but I want to make sure.

cammonro

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2008
You're not alone. This was one of the first apps I purchased after getting my new iPad 2 and sadly it does not work as advertised. Gyroscope fine - compass no. I'm also seeing a strange green bar in the lower left hand side of the screen. When I touch it the app crashes.

I've posted a support ticket on their web site. Hopefully I'll get an answer.

Bobbychoi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to have found someone with the same issue. I too have the green bar.

Last night I found that putting it in landscape mode halps but it's definitely not as smooth as the original iPad.

Cheers and thanks

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Don't have Star Walk but the compass must be calibrated for it to work. Does Star Walk offer compass calibration?

Mikesables

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2011
Ditto

Just got my iPad 2 today and Star Walk will not work properly. Hope there is an update coming soon!

Stovepiper

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
I had a similar issue with Star Walk for iPad 2 once. Killing the application and restarting it fixed it.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
It hasn't worked correctly for me at all since getting an iPad 2. They just released an update today and it still doesn't work right for me. Frustrating.

linwest

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
No tracking...

I just got my ipad2 yesterday and downloaded Star Walk (new version 5.2 I think)...like others on this thread, it won't track like a compass. It just stays stuck in one spot, but will only go up and down. Anyone figure this out yet?

Pete the Geek

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
Sioux Lookout
Just a thought...

[EDIT - ORIGINAL POST REMOVED]
My comment was about possible interference from the Smart Cover magnets, but it seems this app has been having problems for quite some time.

Last edited:

PenguinApple

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2011
Same issue in my iPad 2 After installation yesterday night the compass worked in Star Walk, but later I couldn't get it's horizontal movement working again. As with other users in this thread it only moved vertically. Other apps with compass work normally.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.