Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
the ipad/iphone app update went out last night, and it works awesome!

I am able to stream the live feed from my EyeTV HD box connected to my DVR and mini. looks like I can get rid of a couple more cable boxes now.... :)

if you have this, remember to reboot your ios device before trying to airplay from eyetv. I didnt do this at first and was like WTH, rebooted and all was working very well.

now I just need to make sure I tuck this app version away in case the cable companies cry because of the ability and they patch it to block.

:eek:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
This was just the update I was waiting for. I use an antenna to get all the networks in HD and I use EyeTV to record our favorite shows like Modern Family, V, Glee, and kids shows on PBS all in beautiful HD. This morning I updated the Eyetv app and using Airplay I was watching live tv on my Apple TV without paying one red cent to any cable or satellite company.

Still say this is the best $99 I ever spent.

Last edited:

badmac78

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Atlanta
our Tivo box just became a little less relevant. Now if we could only delete episodes from the computer on the app.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
Maybe a dumb question about airplay/eyetv. I was thinking about picking one up for our imac since we took the tv out of that room-but are you guys saying that you can actually access eyetv thru your atv or iphone or ipad and control it. If so, that would be huge. I have not played with airplay much because it appears you have to have access to both devices physically to tell it to airplay (ie atv and ipad,atv and iphone etc). I would love to have access to live tv thru my atvs via eyetv without having to go and physically tell it to airplay.live tv thru my iphone woukd be cool but not really necessary, but access with my atv via eyetv-i may actually be able to get rid of some boxes also. I will read up some more-but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
Maybe a dumb question about airplay/eyetv. I was thinking about picking one up for our imac since we took the tv out of that room-but are you guys saying that you can actually access eyetv thru your atv or iphone or ipad and control it. If so, that would be huge. I have not played with airplay much because it appears you have to have access to both devices physically to tell it to airplay (ie atv and ipad,atv and iphone etc). I would love to have access to live tv thru my atvs via eyetv without having to go and physically tell it to airplay.live tv thru my iphone woukd be cool but not really necessary, but access with my atv via eyetv-i may actually be able to get rid of some boxes also. I will read up some more-but any comments would be appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

not sure I really understand what you mean by airplaying to the ATV without having to tell it to airplay.

the setup would be the eyetv hd connected to your imac at one end, at the other, a cable box/DVR. from here, your imac can display live tv as well as recorded events from the eyetv library as well as control the cable box.

now, on your idevise, you can install the eyetv app, and from there can stream live tv and recorded content to the device via wifi (I have not set mine up for over the internet as I dont think it can support that well enough). now with the update to airplay for the eyetv app, you can send whatever is going to your idevice to your apple tv2 via airplay by just clicking on the airplay icon.

essentially, you could get away with only one cable box in your home and essentially as many apple tv's as you have tv's for (im using 4 ATV2's, and 2 ATV1's). the only downside to this is you can only record one show at a time, and stream live tv from one channel at a time. if thats not an issue, then its probably the best thing in my opinion since the HD DVR!

also, if you throw airvideo into the mix, you can then airplay other formats to your apple tv without having to convert them to the itunes format. I have been watching some mkv's that I have saved off without any issues.

I think the key will be the wifi speed of your home network, I have the 802.11N extreme dual band and all of my apple tv2's are on the 5ghz band as well as my ipad's.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

I'm not really following you. You never had to physically do anything with the ATV2 for Airplay. Airplay is all controlled from your iPhone or iPad. When you select a video, you just click on the little Airplay button and that's it. There's nothing that needs to be selected on the Apple TV at all. You can be sitting on any screen at the ATV or even be in the middle of watching something or listening to something. It's dead simple.

thetruth1985

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2010
This upgrade seems to be what I need but I just have a few questions since I have to pay $40 to upgrade to eyetv 3 before I can use airplay.

1. How is the quality of streaming HD via and ipad to the ATV? I will be running this on a projector so the image will be very big.

2. I'm assuming 5.1 audio is lost right?

3. Can you stream via airplay in the background while doing other tasks on the ipad/ipod?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!

Last edited:

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
This upgrade seems to be what I need but I just have a few questions since I have to pay $40 to upgrade to eyetv 3 before I can use airplay.

1. How is the quality of streaming HD via and ipad to the ATV? I will be running this on a projector so the image will be very big.....I use it on my 55 inch samsung led lcd and the picture is good, not perfect, but for what I use it for, its fine.

2. I'm assuming 5.1 audio is lost right? Correct, it doesnt record in 5.1, only 2 channel

3. Can you stream via airplay in the background while doing other tasks on the ipad/ipod? not sure if the eyetv app can, but I know air video can
Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions!

see answers in red

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
I cannot get it to play in the background like Air Video, so I do not believe it is possible at this point.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
thanks for the replies. I read up some more on eyetv last night and see that you can purchase the app to control it from your iphone/ipad. This is still very cool and will probably be picking up an eyetv hybrid regardless. I will just split my standard cable before the modem and run into it as opposed to using one of the hd boxes in the other rooms. This way I can at least get standard cable on the imac in that room. My confusion was obviously with airplay which I played around with some last night. I thought from what you guys were saying was that it was possible for atv to control the eyetv which would essentially alleviate the need for cable boxes or physical cable at all (I think I understand better now). Not sure that I really see the purpose of airplay. Sure I could take my ipad and push the picture to my tv thru atv - but, any videos that are on my ipad are already on my atv via itunes. Not sure I follow the purpose of it, but will read some more on it. I am a big fan of airvideo - I started using it back when my library was on a windows machine and after the initial set up - absolutely love it. I have not tried using airplay with it (did not know I could) but I have already converted most of my movies to mp4 anyway. Thanks again, Mike

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
The EyeTV doesn't just access the files that you recorded, it also steams live Tv ( at least the version I own). I am moving my exercise equipment out to the garage and will mount a 19 inch monitor and an AtV2. Then use EyeTV to stream live programming. It will give you live TV in any room with a monitor.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I'm assuming 5.1 audio is lost right? Correct, it doesnt record in 5.1, only 2 channel

A nit, but in my experience the EyeTV records everything it gets off the air, HD video and 5.1 audio. It post-processes the data for the iPad/iPod/iPhone, and the 5.1 audio is converted to 2 channel – for those devices. If you watch the recording with EyeTV on the Mac (or another Mac with the sharing option) the 5.1 audio is preserved.

A.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
A nit, but in my experience the EyeTV records everything it gets off the air, HD video and 5.1 audio. It post-processes the data for the iPad/iPod/iPhone, and the 5.1 audio is converted to 2 channel – for those devices. If you watch the recording with EyeTV on the Mac (or another Mac with the sharing option) the 5.1 audio is preserved.

A.

maybe if you use the hybrid, it might maintain the HD signal and 5.1, but the HD only takes the component output and L/R audio from the cable box so it loses the 5.1, and is not full HD 1080P.

EvilC5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 22, 2010
Hanover MD
thanks for the replies. I read up some more on eyetv last night and see that you can purchase the app to control it from your iphone/ipad. This is still very cool and will probably be picking up an eyetv hybrid regardless. I will just split my standard cable before the modem and run into it as opposed to using one of the hd boxes in the other rooms. This way I can at least get standard cable on the imac in that room. My confusion was obviously with airplay which I played around with some last night. I thought from what you guys were saying was that it was possible for atv to control the eyetv which would essentially alleviate the need for cable boxes or physical cable at all (I think I understand better now). Not sure that I really see the purpose of airplay. Sure I could take my ipad and push the picture to my tv thru atv - but, any videos that are on my ipad are already on my atv via itunes. Not sure I follow the purpose of it, but will read some more on it. I am a big fan of airvideo - I started using it back when my library was on a windows machine and after the initial set up - absolutely love it. I have not tried using airplay with it (did not know I could) but I have already converted most of my movies to mp4 anyway. Thanks again, Mike

think of airplay as a funnel to send other formats from your ios device to your apple tv. itunes will only send the itunes formatted media to your atv2, and if you have media on your ipad, its the same unless you have jailbroken it. then also consider the library you may have on your computer serving itunes/eyetv/airvideo. for me, its well into the 2TB range. so whats nice is that I can airplay the eyetv, mkv, and other formats without having to handbrake them to put into itunes.

mtondreo

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
understood on airplay. I am going to pick up the eyetv hybrid this weekend and play around with it to get tv in that bedroom anyway. I imagine i will get much more familiar with airplay after that. I am looking forward to seeing what eyetv can do. Thanks again, Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.