Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
besides the itunes store has anyone else found a legal way to download some music with good quality sounding files and transfer them to your itunes or iphone? i am willing to pay a monthly fee . just can find that many sites that you can transfer files from

thanks for any help

PS yes i did search this forum first

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
i wish there was a site that you can pay monthly for unlimited downloads or something . i only want like 10 or 15 songs but i dont wanna pay .99 cents for each one . even though its not that bad i know there are better ways . anyone ever try napster???

iggypod

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
iTunes and Amazon.

And since I usually receive quite a few iTunes gift cards each year as gifts, iTunes it is primarily.

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
If you're looking to pay a monthly fee for all the music you want, my favorites are Rdio and MOG. Both have iPhone apps so you can listen on your iPhone or listen on the browser on your computer. You can also download songs on your iPhone so that you can play them offline, but I believe they only play inside the app.

davie18

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2010
i wish there was a site that you can pay monthly for unlimited downloads or something . i only want like 10 or 15 songs but i dont wanna pay .99 cents for each one . even though its not that bad i know there are better ways . anyone ever try napster???
Ever tried spotify?

It's a streaming service where you pay a monthly fee and can listen to basically anything, and you can get it on your iphone.

I don't think it's in the US yet though if you're there.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
If you're looking to pay a monthly fee for all the music you want, my favorites are Rdio and MOG. Both have iPhone apps so you can listen on your iPhone and listen through the browser on your computer. You can also download songs on your iPhone so that you can play them offline, but I believe they only play inside the app.

so if im playing them offline does it still use my data??? thats the only thing i am concerned about. cuz att only has 2GB (fail) thats the only thing that would be holding me back

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Amazon, although I've debated the Zune Marketplace. I saw a webpage that discusses how to get your Zune Marketplace downloads into your iPhone.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Ever tried spotify?

It's a streaming service where you pay a monthly fee and can listen to basically anything, and you can get it on your iphone.

I don't think it's in the US yet though if you're there.

yes i am in the US . i just want something so i can have it on my iphone but not have to use data at the same time.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
so if im playing them offline does it still use my data??? thats the only thing i am concerned about. cuz att only has 2GB (fail) thats the only thing that would be holding me back

Of course not, that's the point of offline usage.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
yes i am in the US . i just want something so i can have it on my iphone but not have to use data at the same time.

I don't think anyone's gonna offer that for montly fee. Too much risk if their DRM is broken.

I think Microsoft tried something like that in the past, but these days I think pretty much everyone who sells music either lets you download for a one-time fee or stream constantly for a montly fee.

I think that 'download for a monthly fee' never ended up taking off as a business model.

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
mainly amazon its always cheaper then itunes

isnt rhapsody a monthy music subscription service??

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007

Nope, if it's downloaded onto your iPhone using the app, the songs are stored on your iPhone. You should really give one of them a try. Both of them offer a free trial, but you probably need to have a credit card on file.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
Pandora.
These days a mood or genre fit my listening style better then a fixed playlist.

Last edited:

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Itunes and local CD stores. I live in Europe and thus no Amazon. Not really interested in streaming though I do use TuneIn Radio and a couple of other internet radio apps, just prefer having music that doesn't depend on a data connection, though I have a good data plan and connection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.