Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
A friend just inherited this old iMac 266mhz from a relative. It's running OS 8.6. I'm trying to put OS X on it, but it just won't take. I was told I might need to upgrade it to OS 9 first. I remember reading somewhere that Apple lets you download old (retired) operating systems for free, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Anyone?

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
wow- that site is expensive... i have lots of different ways that i'd like to reccomend on how to get it... but the mods don't like us talking about those kinds of things ;) :D

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Do what i did, PHONE Apple direct (and not the Apple Store) and ask if they have any copies.

Cost me £21 + a few quid postage if can remember for the cd and installation guide.

MattG

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
AmigoMac said:
You mean a legal one? :eek: J/K ...

no idea. :rolleyes:
;)

Don't really care because I'll need it for all of 1/2 hour so I can upgrade the computer to the copy of OS X that I purchased for it. I don't think I should have to buy a copy of OS 9 just so I can upgrade it to OS X. It's a *full version* of OS X, not an upgrade.

AmigoMac

macrumors 68020
Aug 5, 2003
l'Allemagne
MattG said:
;)

Don't really care because I'll need it for all of 1/2 hour so I can upgrade the computer to the copy of OS X that I purchased for it. I don't think I should have to buy a copy of OS 9 just so I can upgrade it to OS X. It's a *full version* of OS X, not an upgrade.

But I can't tell you, I'm pretty happy being a MR member... ;)

cfd

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2004
If you can get to an Apple Store, go to the Genius Bar and they will assist you in the upgrade.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
In the dumpster...where it belongs! Haha

But seriously, yeah Apple I think ships at least the OS 9 System Folder with new Macs. But as for a retail version check http://www.macresq.com and also http://www.macofalltrades.com for OS 9 CDs, I think they might also have used ones which are a bit cheaper. :) OS 9 is alright, I don't think it's that bad but, I sure am glad to have Mac OS X. :cool:

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
According to Apples website you can get an upgrade for $20 to OS9.2 when you buy Panther. Assuming you are using a legit copy of Panther why not try it? Can't help you otherwise

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
to address the original (implied) question, i don't think you need OS 9 to upgrade to OS X. does your computer meet the OS X req? if yes, then it should upgrade... if not, then you might need some hack to force it. but i'd think it'd be a separate issue from "needing" OS 9.

addition: according to apple-history.com, 233 MHz iMac is the first version, the bondi blue one. it should accept OS X. i don't recommend it too much, as it will be dog slow, esp. given that the max. RAM on it is 256 MB. (actually, could be more. but not sure if it's worth it by the time you buy the OS X and RAM... quite a bit of money to run OS X at 233 MHz...)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.