Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Hi guys,

I will be applying for some internships and need to get a technical resume done sometime in the future. I want to pay a professional to do it but in my area there are none around my area that write resumes for technical fields. I was wondering if any of you have ever used an online service, and if so would you recommend one?

I've been on the hiring side of things many times and I know how important a nice looking resume is and mine definitely needs updated so I am in search of a service that does this well.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I used these guys for a professional resume (VP level) a few years ago. They do technical resumes as well. As I recall, they will do a re-write within 60 days if it's not working out for you.

http://www.resumewriters.com/

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
Since you are looking for internships, so presumably do not have much experience, this might work for you. But as someone who has been given the tasks of screening resumes and interviews, I will warn you that if your resume does not express true knowledge of the topics you are presenting in a resume, then you would never make it past my first read. And there is little chance that a generic resume writer is going to be able to write something that I would be interested in.

But this all depends on who you are writing the resume for. In some instances you are really writing to make it though HR, because the next layer of interviewers/reviewers is only going to be handed that resume 5 minutes before their session with you (or maybe they only read it then...). In that case then a professional resume writer might be a real boon.

That being said, the opposite is also true: I have seen some resumes that desperately needed an editor to go through and re-do them, for: typeos (this is a first-impression situation), content, or just awful style (my first couple of resumes probably fall into this bin).

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
My situation is kind of strange so I'm not sure what to do.

I'm a student about to graduate, however I'm 29 years old and have a lot of professional experience too. A lot of the places I looked at do "student" and "professional" resumes so I'm not sure which to go with since the student resume's seem geared towards getting internships.

The internships I am applying for are for software development positions however my professional experience is in IT doing maintenance, management and repair work on Windows servers and desktops. The only development experience I have is being a hobbyist developer since roughly 1997.

From the research I've been doing people going after development jobs need a technical resume which is formatted differently and generally longer. I'm not sure what these "student" resume's are I keep seeing so I think I will be better off just going with a professional resume.

foidulus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2007
Hi guys,

I will be applying for some internships and need to get a technical resume done sometime in the future. I want to pay a professional to do it but in my area there are none around my area that write resumes for technical fields. I was wondering if any of you have ever used an online service, and if so would you recommend one?

I've been on the hiring side of things many times and I know how important a nice looking resume is and mine definitely needs updated so I am in search of a service that does this well.

Have you checked with your school's career services department? They usually can give you at least a rough idea of what needs touching up on your resume and their overall impression of it. After you will probably have a better idea of not only whether or not you need a professional service, but also what kinds of things on your resume really need punching up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.