Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrules929

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
look again

It may seem to be pricy, but one needs to remember that this does have an LCD monitor. LCD's aren't cheep! That's why it will cost more...

Don't get me wrong, i'm hoping that it's not that expensive!

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
exactly...

Add in hte cost of an LCD monitor and the G4's cost goes up to at least $2,300.

SPG

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2001
In the shadow of the Space Needle.
$1800 is justifible if:
DVD burner (would need a hardware MPEG encoder if it's a G3)
LCD with a good resolution.
1ghz
Firewire (or gigawire)
Airport.

Then $1800 is not that outrageous. Remember this would be the very high end iMac like the DP is the high end G4 costing $3500

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
1800 is nuts!!

What are you guys thinking. I would never pay 1800 for an iMac. Just recently, you could get a g4 with a 15" LCD for 1789, after the 500 dollar rebate. Now remember, an LCD is 600 dollars, the computer is not 1200, without a screen. I mean, a high end iMac WITH a screen was 1200, and now you are trying to tell me that without a screen it is 1200?!? This guy is nuts, and so are his sources...

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by SPG
There have been many credible reports that there will still be a "classic" iMac CRT version available with a speed bump at a more affordable price around $800.

I think this version will be for education

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by SPG
$1800 is justifible if:
DVD burner (would need a hardware MPEG encoder if it's a G3)
LCD with a good resolution.
1ghz
Firewire (or gigawire)
Airport.

really? i dont like to be mean but are you guys really stupid?

that type of machine ALONE (no monitor) sells for $1600 in the PC world without 802.11b and without apple software.

$1800 is justifiable if it is a good solid product that pleases aesthetically and realistically.

really, i know its a crazy time, but get your heads out of your a$$es.

eyelikeart

Moderator emeritus
Jan 2, 2001
Metairie, LA
if the iMac was equipped with LCD and sold for $1800, then it wouldn't be consumer level computer anymore....way too much to be!

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by eyelikeart
if the iMac was equipped with LCD and sold for $1800, then it wouldn't be consumer level computer anymore....way too much to be!

so why not call it something different than iMac ?? ;D

spuncan

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2001
Detroit
prices

ok whats ur problem one in the (better) mac world prices are a little different cuz we are a little smarter than who ever came up with that price so lets say and imac lowend 799? and minus the crt um 600?-700 so add a (mass produced) 15" lcd 300 to 400 so some where between 900 and 1100 for a new lcd imac and a high end being 1100 to 1300 so 1800 is not reasonable. Another thing buy MW Tokyo the price should drop to 899 lowend and highend 1100. this sounds cool to me.

N

nahaliel

they'll have imacs for the cheap crowd, around 1200$ ish, and then this $1800 for someone who doesnt like the noice of the tower and wants a small package that includs a DVDR... price is justified if it includes a DVDR (Without, I'd expect atleast $300 less)

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
AGAIN THE LAST SENTENCE OF MY POST IS POIGNANT!

what about SOFTWARE canman? maybe apple should just stop paying everyone who makes things like say... OS X.

Bophonic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2001
G3 in iMac???

Do you guys think they might go fr a G4 iMac? G3 is starting to show its age, no??

Peace

reyesg4

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
Which one will you buy?

Will you get the cheap low end iMac with the CRT screen, 32 meg Video card, and DVD drive for $1,199 or will you want to get the iMac with the LCD screen, 64meg Video card, bigger bus size and combo drive and airport card built in for $1,699? Forget about a Superdrive unless they don't charge for it and forget about mhz if it does not have a G4 in it or is not above 1Ghz. Its the other new features that will make it shine. Unfortunatly, the only one worth owning will still be expensive one. But, it should not come as a surprise because they did the same thing with the iBook. Most loved the combo drive model at $1,799. I think the Rev 2 iMac LCD will be worth all the money you spend for it though. Just like the iBook is today.
As far as the people saying that a LCD iMac can't cost as much as a high end iBook you are wrong. It costs more money to design the iMac with bigger parts, motherboard, screen than it does for an iBook. Unless they plan to lose money on the LCD model and make it up on the overpriced crt ones, the price must be high. Apple has not lowered prices on its computers since the blue & white g3, look at the prices from 3 years ago for its models, its more expensive now to buy them. Thats because Apple spends way more money designing their pc's than any competitor would ever want too. We all want Apple to try to beat its competitors on price of its computers, but Apple is only good at beating the other guys at products that are way ahead of their time. Products that the competitors have not invented yet. This macworld will only be revolutionary if it changes the way you look at Apple's computers. Low prices are revolutionary, excellent ahead-of-their-time products for a high price is something Apple has delivered since its creation and is nothing new.

lfrey1

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2002
SJ Keynote-all the rumors

You know, this is in fact why we love Apple. Would we be nearly as excited ( or are our PC aquaintences nearly so) about an announcement by Dell? Don't think so.

Anyway: back on track:
I have heard several people postulate that we may be seeing 100% compatibility with Windows (since the API's have been released), meaning running ANY software on the Mac without additional emulators...

thoughts?

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Inaccurate

Apple is almost definetly going to be using the Sahara, and it's minimum clockspeed is 800mhz. So the prediction of 750mhz being the top is crap. As for the price, that seems a bit off too. Apple has always resisted raising the iMac's price, especially this drastically.

Catfish_Man

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2001
Portland, OR
Windows w/o an emulator...

...is not possible. Windows runs on x86 processors only, and OSX/OS9 run on PowerPC processors only. A new OSX might have a built in emulator, but it would still have to emulate both the processor and the OS. (Classic is an emulator, but it only has to emulate the OS, so it can run at almost full speed.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.