Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Whenever I sync my iPad in iTunes, all of my iPhone apps get installed on my iPad. It's very annoying. Why can't iTunes recognize the apps for each device?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Whenever I sync my iPad in iTunes, all of my iPhone apps get installed on my iPad. It's very annoying. Why can't iTunes recognize the apps for each device?

It's because iPhone apps also work on the iPad although it's not true the other way around. The only way to prevent this from happening is to uncheck the iPhone apps before you synch the iPad. This only has to be done once. After that iTunes will recognise it's the iPad connected and not the iPhone and will only synch the apps that are checked.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 21, 2010
It's because iPhone apps also work on the iPad although it's not true the other way around. The only way to prevent this from happening is to uncheck the iPhone apps before you synch the iPad. This only has to be done once. After that iTunes will recognise it's the iPad connected and not the iPhone and will only synch the apps that are checked.

Thanks. Ill try it.

PatrickCocoa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
Another Option

Another option is to uncheck "Automatically synch new apps" in iTunes. This means you can download (via iTunes on your Mac or PC) as many apps as you want, but to get them on your device you need to select each one when your device is plugged in.

To uncheck "Automatically synch new apps" in iTunes: plug in your device. Open iTunes (or it will automatically open). Select your device on the left hand side. Select "apps" from the top list (Summary / Info / Apps /...). At the bottom of the list of apps is "Automatically synch new apps".

This will turn off automatically synch new apps for both iPad and iPhone apps, which may not be what you want.

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
You can also delete the apps directly off the iPad. This disables them sync'ing the next time you sync with iTunes. It works the same as unchecking them in iTunes. Probably easier from iTunes if you have a bunch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.