Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
I occasionally want to print 3 or 4 photos on one sheet of paper.

Currently I do this by copying the photos into Pages and then using that to arrange and print them.
It all feels a bit clunky and I think I'm missing something obvious.

What am I missing? :confused:

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Ok, that's not much help.

The only way I see of printing multiple photos in iPhoto is with a contact sheet which doesn't give me much control over their size and placement.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Open all the photos you want to print simultaneously in Preview. Make sure all the images you want to print are selected in the side panel.

Go to File -> Print Selected Images

Now you are in the print dialogue. First, make sure you see the extended version. If your dialogue is only 2 or 3 lines long, click on the black triangle next to the printer name.

About half way down, you should see a drop down menu... mine says "Preview". Change that to Layout (see Screen Grab). Pick how many photos per page you want to print. Print. You're done. :)

ps You still don't get a lot of choice over size and placement, but this is fast. You get to choose how many per page. More = smaller. For more exact control, set up some templates in Pages, the page layout side. Create some templates with the sizes you want for each photos as a graphics box. Save As Template is what you are looking for. Failing that, then you are probably looking at Aperture or Lightroom. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some SW packages for creating picture packages. You might have to search for those. Use the term Picture Package to start with, until you get a better sense of what kind of terminology is being used for what you are looking for. Good Luck.

Attachments

• SG.jpg
    SG.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 2,132
Last edited:
Reactions: aseletzky

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Ok, that's not much help.

The only way I see of printing multiple photos in iPhoto is with a contact sheet which doesn't give me much control over their size and placement.

When you use the "Contact Sheet" theme you can use the Columns slider to get different sizes and then drag the photos in to the position you want. Or you can use any of the Themes for multiple photos but Standard and then choose "Layout" to get the look you want.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
I use Preview for photo printing like snberk103 does except I leave the print dialog box as Preview instead of Layout. You have more options about how the photos are placed on the paper.

Attachments

• Screen shot Print.jpg
    Screen shot Print.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,160

AndyMoore

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Thanks, there seems to be a bit more control in iPhoto than I realised.

Portraits and Prints seems ideal too, it's a pity development has been discontinued.

I'll try both these solutions.

Pomeroy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2008
Missouri
Preview is one of the most over looked apps that comes on a Mac and it can be used for much more than just a quick glance at an image file when you get out of the habit using it like on a windows machine. To open up the power of Preview I keep it on the dock so it is handy all the time (doesn't have to be open and running). Select the group of files you want to see or just drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. By dropping multiple files on Preview you can now do Batch operations too, like Adjust the size of an image or flip and rotate. You can easily Crop images and do Color Adjusts in Preview as well. If you need to take out a background on an image, you can use Preview's Instant Alpha feature to quickly and easily complete the task. The Instant Alpha tool is located in Preview's tool bar, under the Select menu. I also use Preview to Take "Screen Shots" and "Annotate" by adding boxes, circles, arrows and text when I need to. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Preview is one of the most over looked apps that comes on a Mac and it can be used for much more than just a quick glance at an image file when you get out of the habit using it like on a windows machine. To open up the power of Preview I keep it on the dock so it is handy all the time (doesn't have to be open and running). Select the group of files you want to see or just drag the whole folder to the dock and drop on Preview. By dropping multiple files on Preview you can now do Batch operations too, like Adjust the size of an image or flip and rotate. You can easily Crop images and do Color Adjusts in Preview as well. If you need to take out a background on an image, you can use Preview's Instant Alpha feature to quickly and easily complete the task. The Instant Alpha tool is located in Preview's tool bar, under the Select menu. I also use Preview to Take "Screen Shots" and "Annotate" by adding boxes, circles, arrows and text when I need to. I try to use the features that came on my Mac when possible. I believe they were designed to work well together and I don't need to run a lot of 3rd party software to try and force my Mac to act like Windows machine.

Oh boy. I actually use Preview a lot, and I agree that it is under-rated. I too use if for annotations (see my screen capture). But you've just mentioned doing a bunch of things with it I didn't know it could do. Looks like I'm going have to some more homework. I never knew it did batch adjustments..... sigh. Thanks again.

njchub

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2012
multiple images on one sheet

Open all the photos you want to print simultaneously in Preview. Make sure all the images you want to print are selected in the side panel.

Go to File -> Print Selected Images

Now you are in the print dialogue. First, make sure you see the extended version. If your dialogue is only 2 or 3 lines long, click on the black triangle next to the printer name.

About half way down, you should see a drop down menu... mine says "Preview". Change that to Layout (see Screen Grab). Pick how many photos per page you want to print. Print. You're done. :)

ps You still don't get a lot of choice over size and placement, but this is fast. You get to choose how many per page. More = smaller. For more exact control, set up some templates in Pages, the page layout side. Create some templates with the sizes you want for each photos as a graphics box. Save As Template is what you are looking for. Failing that, then you are probably looking at Aperture or Lightroom. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if there aren't some SW packages for creating picture packages. You might have to search for those. Use the term Picture Package to start with, until you get a better sense of what kind of terminology is being used for what you are looking for. Good Luck.

in mountain lion, i have found i need to create a "contact sheet" where i place all the images i want printed. then follow the above instructions. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.