Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hecxs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
For some reason the trash icon in the dock won't open and I can't restore some files that I mistakenly deleted.

HELP guys!!:eek::confused::eek:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Open a finder window and press cmd+shift+g then i that window type "~/.Trash" without the quote marks. This will take you to your trash.

elenap

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2009
Thank You

Thank you so much for the advice that worked!!!!!!!!!!!! I had the same problem and was very worried.

jhenry094

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2010
Thanks this helped, but is there a way to make it so you can actually click on the trash and it will come up

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
You could try making a new plist for the Dock:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist
or
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.db

one at a time if you want to know which one fixes it (if it does):

Move the plist file to the Desktop
Restart the computer. This makes a new plist, set to default values, which means anything you've messed with reverts to "out of the box".
If it didn't help, you can put the plist back. This will overwrite the new default version.

carorteguita

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2011
Hi there! I also need help with my trash can. Mine appears on the dock, but every time I open it, it automatically opens up in finder.
How can I revert it back to opening up a window with the "genie" effect and not in the finder??? :confused:

Thankssss

starman7

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Open a finder window and press cmd+shift+g then i that window type "~/.Trash" without the quote marks. This will take you to your trash.
I tried this. I get 4 files labeled Restored Files which I can't open. I need to get into my Trash & restore files. Help.

starman7

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Drag those files onto your Desktop.
I did that. When I tried to open them I got nothing useful. Are these files that were deleted from Trash or what? Sorry, this didn't help me get to the actual files. Thanks for trying to help though.

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
I did that. When I tried to open them I got nothing useful. Are these files that were deleted from Trash or what? Sorry, this didn't help me get to the actual files. Thanks for trying to help though.
When you delete a file/folder, it’s moved into that ~/.Trash folder.
When you empty the Trash, the files/folders are deleted from the ~/.Trash folder.
If the files you are looking for are not in the Trash folder, they have been deleted and can’t be recovered without using some kind of file recovery software.
Delete files and folders on Mac https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/delete-files-and-folders-on-mac-mchlp1093/mac

starman7

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
I don't know if the files have been deleted from the Trash folder because I can't get in there. I've seen these "Recovered Files" folders in the Trash before. I don't know what those are, but they're not what I'm looking for. Maybe all the other files have been deleted, but they were there a few days ago. Thanks for your input. I don't understand why Apple can't fix this issue about accessing the Trash from the dock. It's obviously a common problem. I will try to recover the files when I have a chance. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.