Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 4, 2005
After a few weeks of use, how has the exposed back been holding up? I really like the minimalist look of just the smart cover and don't mind some surface scratches it ads character :)

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I've been using the IPad 2 with just the Smart Cover, because I'm waiting on several cases to ship. There just isn't much in the stores. I haven't taken it out of my house, and tried to be very careful. Still, I noticed several marks on the back this morning. Didn't try to buff them out, because I was in a hurry, so they may not be permanent; but I was still surprised at how easily the back can acquire scratches.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I have the black leather smart cover and a Timbuk2 sleeve I put it in when I take it out of the house.

When I'm setting the iPad2 down, say when I'm on the couch surfing the web and the wife yells down a "honey do," I normally close up the smart cover and set the device down, face down, so that its resting on the smart cover and the back is facing up. Using this method I have been able to keep both the glass front and metal back scratch free so far. :)

Just some guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
After a few weeks of use, how has the exposed back been holding up? I really like the minimalist look of just the smart cover and don't mind some surface scratches it ads character :)

okay when you get the itch to buy an ipad 3, that "character" is gonna turn into a antagonist fast ;)

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Maybe I am weird, but the iPad is something to be used. If the back gets somewhat scratched so that you have to be looking for scratches to notice them (what I expect to happen) who cares? If it gets so scratched after a few months you can't help but notice it from across the room then MAYBE I will just get a back cover (there are a couple out already) or get a case.

The bigger problem than scratches, imo, is that hwne you do lay it on a table flat on its back it isn't the easiest critter to pick up. Maybe my fingers are just too fat to get under the curved sides of the iPad, but I am seriously thinking of putting some of those little clear rubber feet on the back to raise it up some, thus providing a gap to aid in picking it up. LOL

But so far, after looking, no scratches yet. About 1/2 the time I put it on its back, the other half the time on the front cover

franmatt80

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2010
Mine's just had a smart cover up until today when I put a skin on the back. No scratches, and I'm not super careful. I use a sleeve when it's in my handbag, and if I want to lay it on it's back, I try and remember to put it on the sleeve- but I only remember 50% of the time...

I'm not careless as I know I'll want to sell it on at some point when new models arrive, but do agree with the above poster that if you spend too long obsessions about the odd scratch, it detracts from the user experience....IMO of course.... Hence the skin today :D

ForumViewer

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2011
Maybe I am weird, but the iPad is something to be used. If the back gets somewhat scratched so that you have to be looking for scratches to notice them (what I expect to happen) who cares?

For my Apple devices, I personally put protective cases on everything for one simple reason - resellability. My wife has no interest in having her own iPad since she uses her MBP exclusively. So when the iPad 2 came out, I wanted to be able to sell my original iPad, which I kept in a case from the second I bought it. It was in pristine condition many months after the fact. I intend on selling my iPad 2 when the next one comes out, and I want the device to be in like-new condition so I can get a maximum return on it. Apple products already hold their value extremely well, but I feel one that's in near-perfect condition after a year or so is worth more, which I think few would argue against.

For me it's a reasonable trade off if you can find a case or shell that doesn't detract from the overall fit and feel of the device. Plus, some cases also add functionality.

Non-apple products, like window's laptops, I never bothered protecting because their value diminishes far faster and severely than Apple stuff.

iCHiRS

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Portland, OR
I use the smart cover as well. But I also have the Zagg full-body invisible shield on it as well. Not too worried about the screen as I keep the cover on 24/7, but the back is what I was worried about. Keeps it nice and protected when setting it down on it's back...

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
I love the iPad 2 with the Smart Cover, but worried about the back and wanted something with some grip to the back. So I ordered the SGP iPad 2 Skin from Amazon through the SGP Store and very happy with the result and look... PIA to get right for those like me that are not detail orientated - want things done instantly LOL

Busy weekend with work and all - but hope to post a review on the SGP skin and the STM Scout XS/iPad bag in the next day or so with pics...

Tom G.

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Champaign/Urbana Illinois
I use only a Smart Cover, and am very careful about where I set it up for use. I've had no discernible scratches on it. I am ordering an iCarbon skin for it, but it hasn't come yet.

I carry it in the Waterfield Design Smart case, and that inside their Muzetto bag. A Great combination.

belder

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2011
USA
I bought the Elan-Folio-Slim for the iPad 2 at Best Buy and so far I really like it. I considered a smart cover but wanted a cover for the back. The nice thing is it doesn't look like it's an iPad. On the table it resembles a small legal pad and fits nicely in a briefcase.

Technohead

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
As soon as I received my Ipad I took it to the mall and had the Ghost Armor folks install their product on the front and back. It's so clear that folks can't even tell there is something installed on it. It also is pretty good at eliminating a lot of fingerprints too. I use the Smart Cover now without any worries.

shakeman0

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2009
I've been using mine with only a Smart Cover since launch day. There are no scratches anywhere on the device. I'm pretty careful with it and keep it in a sleeve. I'm actually waiting for a Gelaskin to arrive, so I'll stick that on when I receive it.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
I also only use a smart cover. At first, I would place the iPad face down (smart cover on, of course) to prevent the back from getting scratched. I've since applied a Best Skins Ever to the back for some peace of mind. I must say the BSE on the back adds just enough friction to make it easier to handle without worrying that it will slip out of your hands. I didn't like the texture on the front though. I'm waiting for a PowerSupport Crystal for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.