Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikhail25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Hi there,
My friend is now in USA and she was trying to buy me a no contract Iphone 4 (Im from Finland, where Iphone 4 is much more expensive) but the salesman in the Apple store told her that it's not possible to buy non-sim-locked phone.. Is this true?
I thought Iphone 4 was already available in USA without any contract-deals...

Any idea what's the most convenient way of finding an Iphone 4 without any contracts or 'locks' in Las Vegas ?

thanks in advance.

SirStrumalot

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yup unfortunately, that is true. In the US, you can only buy a (gsm) iPhone that's locked to AT&T. Your friend could try and find one on craigslist on an older baseband (hence unlockable via software) or buy one that's locked and use the gevey sim (assuming 112 is not an actual emergency number in Finland). Other than that, you're out of luck.

You can buy unlocked iPhones in Canada though.

ikaveh

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
here
the only way is ebay which i think your friend cant use. i suggest to buy it from your neighbor countries like Germany,France,Italy or the cheapest on UK.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
Just to avoid any confusion:

I don't know how it works in Finland, but in the USA, the notion of a contract-free phone and an SIM-unlocked phone are two completely separate things.

You often can buy a GSM iPhone in the USA without committing to any fixed-term contract. However, despite the fact that you didn't commit yourself to any service contract, the phone itself will still be SIM-locked to, and will only work with, AT&T.

Furthermore, you can bring your own phone to AT&T, and if you opt for a promotional price plan, you can end up locked in a fixed-term contract even though the phone itself might technically be unlocked for use on any network.

The contract-free status applies to the customer, not the phone; the SIM-unlocked status applies to the phone, not the customer.

Teeko

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Simple solution.

Step 1
Get a PayPal account.

Step 2
Get an eBay account.

Step 3
Search "Factory unlocked iPhone 4". Also type how many GB you want(32 or 16). Sometimes the person on eBay will accept a card transfer, but PayPal is safest.

Teeko

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Simple solution.

Step 1
Get a PayPal account.

Step 2
Get an eBay account.

Step 3
Search "Factory unlocked iPhone 4". Also type how many GB you want(32 or 16). Sometimes the person on eBay will accept a card transfer, but PayPal is safest.

Teeko

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2011

Oops, sorry for double post guys.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Why how much do they go for in Finland as I can see you spending a lot of extra $ trying to just find one that is unlocked also you have a warranty issue to consider if you by a hacked or jailbroken phone out of your country?

I wish they sold Unlocked phones in the US this way when I go out of the country I can just buy a sim card and not have to lug around another phone or pay for high charges for using a US phone outside the USA.

Hi there,
My friend is now in USA and she was trying to buy me a no contract Iphone 4 (Im from Finland, where Iphone 4 is much more expensive) but the salesman in the Apple store told her that it's not possible to buy non-sim-locked phone.. Is this true?

Any idea what's the most convenient way of finding an Iphone 4 without any contracts or 'locks' in Las Vegas ?

thanks in advance.

I agree to buy from ebay... sometime you can find a good one.
Or you can buy from UK online store.
Some of them sell the unlock iPhone 4...
I feel pretty safe when buy some high value goods from UK store.
But you have to ask more clear about the shipping information before buy.

good luck.:cool:

isabellaadamz

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
iPhone from Apple has revolutionized the world of smart phones. There are very few products today which can compete with an iPhone on the basis of its applications and technology.If you want best international sim card, I'm recommending you to use holidayphone prepaid sim cards. Because it is very cheap and best in all aspect of services.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Hi there,

thanks in advance.

Removed response. Didn't notice it is a very old thread. Thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited:

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have a factory unlocked AT&T iPhone 4 32gb black for sale if you're still interested pm me.

3rd Rock

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2012
Over here
Apple Genius is partially wrong. He may be saying they don't sell in B&M stores.

You can buy Unlocked iPhone 4 from USA Apple store online for USD 450. 4s for USD 549.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone/iphone4

Question is if your friend is staying at a hotel how to order with mismatch billing address.

This thread that is 1 1/2 years old. The person you responded to only posted once in his/her life on this forum over a year ago, so why did you respond at all since this person has not been back for over a year ? Just had to ask. :confused:

Gaidin43

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Hahaha didn't look at the date! Or the poster background. Ah well trying to stay awake in class.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.