Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamerlizer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 8, 2007
singapore
hi guys, its me again. anyway i got a few wmv files that i need to convert in order to get the videos into my touch. isquint doesn't convert the files properly, and i've browsed through the forum but the answer isn't quite there. so is there any other free converters out there that works for wmv? any help appreciated :)

kevinliu4

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2006
I first convert wmv files into mov files using quicktime. Then I use isquint to convert the mov files into mp4.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I just use what I have available to me...and it works fine.

smythey

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2007
Scotland
I first convert wmv files into mov files using quicktime. Then I use isquint to convert the mov files into mp4.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but I just use what I have available to me...and it works fine.

Quicktime Pro though, right? Useful to find out a free way to to do it.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
The free way I know requires ffmpeg or mencoder (latest)
if you can compile new ffmpeg for osx or just find a linux machine... then look at my signature :)

fernande-mac

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2009
Midwest
What exactly is the problem with iSquint? I have used it for many years and it still works. The only format I have found that is not supported well in iSquint or HandBrake is FLV. The FLV format has changed over the years and the decoder now fails parsing the files. Are you having this problem with WMV files?

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
I opened a new .avi file in quicktime (the version that came with snow leopard -- don't recall what version that is), and there was an option to save the file for iPod, iPhone, etc. Just choose file>save as and follow the prompts.

daleycss

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2010
some simple converters for mac are evom and miro video converter (mac app store).... even realplayer converter that comes with realplayer is good.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The WMV Codec from Flip4Mac will allow you to use QuickTime to convert WMV videos to m4v using the "Save As" option. Note the free version places a watermark on the video. You would need the $29 WMV Player Pro for them to not have the watermark. (And the WaterMark is annoying.)

I just did a conversion using QuickTime 10.0 on Mac OS 10.6.7 with the free version of the codec.

Brucewl

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2010
It looks so complicated, Why not just go to Apple Store and fina a video Converter in Video section?:D

BrunoWill

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Handbrake: i have a great experience with this free software, it does a good job.
http://handbrake.fr/

Another one i have used, i am impressed with the service provided by this company and i think that explains why i regard this one as a storage option for you.
Free mp4 converter (supports to convert wmv to mp4 format)
http://www.leawo.com/video-converter/free-mp4converter.html

Handbrake also give me a good experience, but there is not video editing tool, and the next freeware also do not contain this function if you do not upgrade to pro version

holyu

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Handbrake also give me a good experience, but there is not video editing tool, and the next freeware also do not contain this function if you do not upgrade to pro version
It can convert wmv to mp4 even online, and i convert that and edit by using some apps, which cannot be done online.

Last edited:

frakencles

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Just Follow Some Steps to Convert WMV to MP4 :

>> So Download The Software.

>> Than Installed That Software on Your PC or Mac

>> After That Open The Software And Insert Or Add The Video In The List

>> Than Select The Converting Format And Convert The Video

>> Than Access The Video Without Any Issue.

I Hope That Info Is Usefully

Quaranz

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2014
Deep in the Shadows
What i do personal is edit the file regarding the wmv video to mp4 or rename it for the most part. I do it all the time on my Nexus 5 in regards to video when some video players can't play the video type. i see no problems of windows doing it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.