Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGOvoruhk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Let's just jump right into it with the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnM8ciByJps

Basically, we were tasked with the coming up with ideas that could help a client with their presentations. Sometimes they run Keynote Presentations on a Mac, and sometimes they run Keynote Presentations on an iPad using a VGA adapter. While I liked how mobile you could get doing it off an iPad, you're still literally tethered by the cable running to the the A/V equipment. I knew there had to be some sort of solution, but sadly there wasn't, at least not all in one place. So I started looking at combining different solutions, and luckily, not many were needed. The core components are the wireless HDMI transmitter, and a USB battery pack

Oh, and of course the iPad 2 :cool:

Everything is very rough, especially the housing. This all came together very quickly, and we're still working everything out. I just wanted to show you guys, because I know some of you are looking for similar solutions. I'm going to try and get an Instructable together once we get everything a little more finished. Maybe even try some other things, like a belt pack for those that don't want the added bulk in their hands, or what ever other ideas our tiny little heads can think of

If any of you guys have any questions, I'll gladly answer them

Last edited by a moderator:

romeo.xk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2009
That is sweet! I have my hopes up that there will be some kind of app from the jailbreak community that will let me do this with the apple tv.

Good job with your creation!!! There is no lag at all on the video been transmitted to the tv.

EGOvoruhk

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
There is no lag at all on the video been transmitted to the tv.

I was surprised as how little to no lag there was. It's on the 5GHz spectrum, and didn't seem to get any interference from our APs. I want to try it in a room with a few dozen APs and see how it is then

Which version of iOS is this running on/ is it jailbroken?

I didn't get a chance to look at the version, but it's a stock iPad 2 out of the box. No jailbreaking

TripHop

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2009
I Love You Guys - My Thoughts On Alternative Setups With Same Gear

You still need hardware on the TV end to receive the signal.
The HP kit includes that. Complete solution is less than $150.

I'm thinking of using an Apple 30 pin 4-6 foot extension cord between the iPad 2 and the Apple Digital AV Adapter connected to the HP transmitter powered from the wall via a AC to USB dongle. The HP unit is less than $150 at Amazon. I already have a USB battery from ZAGG. So I'm covered that way too. Could have it and the HP transmitter in a backpack for presentations. Wondering if the HP system can help me transmit to an old VGA IN projector? What are the outputs on the HP receiver box? If only HDMI, is there a cheap HDMI to VGA + audio OUT adapter at Fry's or on Amazon?

I'm teaching an Apps class at our Senior Computing Center at the end of Spring. All they have is an old VGA projector. I have the Apple VGA Adapter as well as the Digital AV Adapter. But I'd love to lose the cable so I could move around the room to let students touch the iPad 2 easily.

Found the HDMI to VGA Converter Box at Amazon for $50.

Suggestions?

Last edited:

LiquidThunderLT

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2009
This is great I love to see an iPad hack that doesn't require a stupid jailbreak! Very good work, I hope to see this as a consumer product one day soon. Would be a must have accessory for iPad 2, a case with the transmitting internals built in + extra battery, and a companion receiver sold together for $150 or less would be very popular.

428CJ

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2011
This is great I love to see an iPad hack that doesn't require a stupid jailbreak! Very good work, I hope to see this as a consumer product one day soon. Would be a must have accessory for iPad 2, a case with the transmitting internals built in + extra battery, and a companion receiver sold together for $150 or less would be very popular.

Pretty cool. Has anyone seen the WirelessHD version of this? There was something posted elsewhere doing the same thing but with a regular iPad but can't find the link now.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Lovely solution! I'm subscribing to this thread so I'll know when you post the Instructible.

One thought: My school has VGA projectors so I guess I'll need an HDMI>VGA adapter. Probably will need something to break out the audio, as well. Maybe someone knows of a similar box (like the HP HDMI solution but separate audio and video ports) that can do this?

Thanks!

agrudsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Minneapolis, Minnesota
What I'm thinking of doing is that since I can get everything but the case, I might just take like a little clip on case for your pants, and put the 2 components in there. Then I'll just have a small little cable running from my ipad 2 to the clip on case. I might as well buy a little battery for my ipad to go into the carrying case, since the Digital AV Adapter that Apple makes has a charging slot.
Nice idea. I like it a lot. I'm going to try it myself.

jennyjohnson

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
This is superb information you shared with us. Your information is very nice and easy to get idea about the wireless Mirroring With An iPad 2.

bassics38

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2011
Battery

Hello,

I would like to build one of these setups myself and was wondering what kind of battery you used.

Thanks!

yavapai99

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2011
Wireless Mirroring With An iPad 2

Excellent! Thanks for the good work. Please keep us informed.:)

ibuyufo

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
We have an iPad here at my work that is used to give keynote presentations to people coming in for tours of the lab. We're thinking about building this to get the wireless capability it offers but how can we build a case to hold these objects to the ipad? Is it possible to purchase one from you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.