Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
My name is Ben, I recently tried to post a youtube video that took up over 1GB of space, youtube told me that i could not post the video unless i had the "Advanced (Java) Uploader for resumable uploads."

I am currently using a macbook version 10.5.8 on Mac OS X and i do not have any version of java already installed on my computer. The reason i am frustrated is that on the entire internet i can't seem to be able to find one java installation that is NOT an upgrade from an earlier version! The closest thing i could find is one where you need snow leopard to be able to install it. I don't have snow leopard.

Please if anyone could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated, it would be great if someone could tell me something i don't know, tell me what to do, or even just post the link to a website that they think could work for me.

Thanks - Ben

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
All versions of Mac OS X have Java built-in and as long as you run Software Update, it should have the latest version installed.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
I've tried that, it seems like i might have files missing? i'm not sure

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    107.2 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture 4.png
    Picture 4.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Picture 5.png
    Picture 5.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Picture 6.png
    Picture 6.png
    108.6 KB · Views: 74

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Why don't you try installing all of the updates? Even the older version included with 10.5.0 should allow uploading to YouTube.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
I've tried but they all say "you need an earlier version" because they are updates, which means all they can do is update from an older version, which i don't have

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Software Update should never say that. You may have a more complex problem with your Mac if it can't install the needed updates.

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I've tried but they all say "you need an earlier version" because they are updates, which means all they can do is update from an older version, which i don't have
What you need to do is to stop disallowing updates. The quickest route is to download and install the combo-updater for MacOS X 10.5.8. Then run Software Update until it finds nothing more to update.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I thought that System Update only showed the next version up that your computer required; ie, if you had 10.6.4 installed it would show that 10.6.5 was available, but wouldn't show 10.6.6 until you had installed 10.6.5?

willfurnell

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2011
I thought that System Update only showed the next version up that your computer required; ie, if you had 10.6.4 installed it would show that 10.6.5 was available, but wouldn't show 10.6.6 until you had installed 10.6.5?

Even if it doesn't I would recommend doing updates in order, because if you miss just one, the other updates may rely on it, and to the OP, you should really do ALL those updates and see if it solves the problem.

bs2511feist

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
USA
OK, i tried the software update, and of the 11 or so updates available, 8 of them did not update. I tried to do it again and with the 8 updates left i could install any of them because it keeps on telling me the software could not be updated because there are missing files in "/"

A long time ago i think i was clearing out my mac for more space and i didn't know much about macs back then and i believe i deleted some folders i shouldn't have. However, I was smart enough to have backed up my computer on an external hard-drive which i have handy.

I'm sure there's some way i could get those files back, i'm just not sure of that way specifically.... any suggestions?

Thanks - Ben

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
OK, i tried the software update, and of the 11 or so updates available, 8 of them did not update. I tried to do it again and with the 8 updates left i could install any of them because it keeps on telling me the software could not be updated because there are missing files in "/"

A long time ago i think i was clearing out my mac for more space and i didn't know much about macs back then and i believe i deleted some folders i shouldn't have. However, I was smart enough to have backed up my computer on an external hard-drive which i have handy.

I'm sure there's some way i could get those files back, i'm just not sure of that way specifically.... any suggestions?

Thanks - Ben
If you open a new Finder window, then click on the name of your hard drive (probably "Macintosh HD"), you should see these folders:

• Applications
  • Developer (Maybe)
  • Library
  • System
  • Users

Do you have all of them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.