Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Regina647

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2011
I have a HITACHI 55HDM71 55" plasma & the new apple tv.
TV SPECS:
http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Hitachi+55HDM71&rt=sp&modelid=371764

I've tried so many things and still cannot get any sound from my apple tv. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor.
I have an Optical Audio to 3.5mm cable which i've connected from the ATV to my TV as well. STILL NO SOUND.

Are there any settings on my itunes, Apple TV, or TV itself that I need to adjust?

Please help :)

-Regina

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
I doubt your TV has a spdif input, so using the optical to 3.5mm cable won't work.

You'll probably need to convert the optical output to analog before you can use it with your TV. Assuming it has an analog input that you can associate with the DVI input (most TVs do).

Batt

macrumors 65816
Dec 17, 2007
Syracuse, NY

DefBref

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
If he does have an HDMI input then just use a HDMI cable, why would he need to combine the optical with dvi output when the atv already has a HDMI output.

His problem is the TV doesn't have a HDMI input.

Gee

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2004
London, UK
I have a HITACHI 55HDM71 55" plasma & the new apple tv.
TV SPECS:
http://www.retrevo.com/search?q=Hitachi+55HDM71&rt=sp&modelid=371764

I've tried so many things and still cannot get any sound from my apple tv. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor.
I have an Optical Audio to 3.5mm cable which i've connected from the ATV to my TV as well. STILL NO SOUND.

Are there any settings on my itunes, Apple TV, or TV itself that I need to adjust?

Please help :)

-Regina

As the guy above notes, it's your Optical audio to 3.5 mm cable that's not working. Your audio inputs in your TV are purely analogue, so won't take 3.5mm optical. What you need is a box that converts optical audio to analogue audio. You'd then run a standard optical cable form the apple tv to the box, and a whatever-analogue-audio-connector to 3.5 analogue jack to your TV.

Or, you could buy a new TV ;)

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
Okay, I got confused earlier, when the OP stated "So far I have connected my ATV to my TV using a DVI - HDMI convertor." I was thinking of all those people trying to connect their Macs (with DVI) to their HDTVs.

Anyway, I took a look at the specs for his TV and it has DVI in and analog audio in. There is no optical audio in or out. In fact, it's kind of hard to figure out what the audio capabilities of this unit are. It is called a monitor, and has some optional speaker unit. Assuming the OP has this option, it looks like there are only analog inputs for audio. They seem to be labeled "RGB 1" and "RGB 2", so I'm not sure if audio works with the DVI input. Assuming it does, an optical to analog converter can be used with an HDMI to DVI adapter to get audio and video to the unit.

Here's a link to a Monoprice optical to analog adapter:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=6884&seq=1&format=2

irishtike

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2011
one reason the optical audio cable isn't work is that most TV's don't have an optical audio IN, port. whatever port you plugged that into was an optical audio out port as well.
you would need a stereo receiver with an optical audio IN and some house speakers for it to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.