Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottp78

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
I have an late 2009 21.5 imac. It came with the Western Digital 1TB Black. hard drive. I am looking to upgrade it to 2tb. I went out and bought the 2tb Black 64meg cashe.

I got the Loud fan from this upgrade!!

What Hard drive can I use to upgrade to 2tb without getting the full speed fan?

I do also have the temp sensor for hitatchi, plus the sensor that came with the mac for the Western Digital.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC
We've not been able to get Apple's hard drive temp sensor cables to work with drives other than what Apple ships, though we haven't put a whole lot of effort into it. What does work, however, is the optical drive temperature sensor. Buy one of those and affix it to the hard drive, and you should be good.

scottp78

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2011
We've not been able to get Apple's hard drive temp sensor cables to work with drives other than what Apple ships, though we haven't put a whole lot of effort into it. What does work, however, is the optical drive temperature sensor. Buy one of those and affix it to the hard drive, and you should be good.

Thanks!

TommyKing

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2009
Imac 2009 Fan Speed after HD Change

I solved this problem by using a 20inch 2.4Ghz imac temp sensor. Just connect the HD temp sense cable to the temp sensor ( a 3 pin MPS part) that was stuck to the base of HD's in older models. only 2 legs of the sensor are used.
Hope this helps

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.