Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zalves

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Portugal
Hi

I have a MBP with the 9400 and the 9600, when I try to run Civ V using the 9600 the game automatically crashes... and with the 9400 is just too slow to play. My mac has 4GB ram and a 2.4 core 2 duo CPU. Is there anything I can do?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Try this:

Delete com.aspyr.Civ5.plist from your Preferences folder. If that doesn't work try removing the entry that says GameDisplayID in that file.

Adventureinlife

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Civilization V on my mac...to buy or not to buy?

thank you! now it works perfectly :)

It works perfectly now????? Does this mean I can now get this awesome game for my Mac, which is a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and the 9600M GT, and not be concerned about the game not working or dissatisfied with game play?

robecq

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
It works perfectly now????? Does this mean I can now get this awesome game for my Mac, which is a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM and the 9600M GT, and not be concerned about the game not working or dissatisfied with game play?

Yes, but only if you play it in bootcamp ;)

Adventureinlife

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Civilization V on my mac...to buy or not to buy?

Now that is... disappointing. :( So in order for me to be happy with the game play and not have to dumb down the graphics to nothing, I have to spend anywhere from $50 to $100 on a Windows OS, install it with bootcamp just so I can enjoy it on my 2 year old mac... after I buy the game for $50. How sad is that, but where theres a will theres a way... I just now found out about a opensource program called WineBottler which from the article I just read it will give mac users the ability to run Civilization 5 (and I imagine other windows games as well) without have to install a Windows OS in bootcamp. So I'm going to give that a try. That way I can at least download (from Steam for mac) the Civilization V Demo for the PC and see if I like the game play on my mac. Hopefully some day soon Aspyr will be known for making great games for Mac users and known for providing amazing customer support. Hey...it's ok to have dreams, even if they are pipe dreams.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
You'd be much better off using Wineskin instead of WineBottler. Yes Wineskin is my own project... but its much better overall for gaming.

I've run Civ5 native Mac version and Civ5 Windows version with Wineskin... and both run very similar, but overall the native Mac version will run better.

I don't get the problems everyone is complaining about, Civ5 native Mac version runs great for me.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
You should have gone Windows, brah :)

I have a serious dislike of Windows... and having my machine in an OS that blocks me from using all the rest of my software.

If I have to boo tinto Windows to play a game, well no game in the world is worth that, I'd rather not play it at all.

Godson1952

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2013
problem with the civ V game

I followed all the installation and I can not get the game to play or even say START GAME.So I would like to uninstall the game and try to reinstall.Should I do that or is there another way around it.
:mad: @ my :apple:

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
what nobody HERE OR NOBODY GOT ANSWER?.
:eek: :rolleyes:.

your info isn't very useful. Saying a game won't work doesn't let us know what actually happens when you try. Of course erasing everything and reinstalling may or may not help, but theres no way for anyone to know from what info you gave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.