Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
ATI XFX RADEON HD 5770
Model No.: HD-577A-ZN
Part No.: HD-577A-ZNEC

My XT1900 bit the dust (screen just went black - overclocking it to max in the ATI control panel might not have helped;-) so I bought a PC HD 5770 from amazon saving £108 over apples.

I tried to make a FAT drive but kept getting invalid disk reports - and ran out of CDs.

Since I had Win7 on bootcamp I downloaded ati_winflash_2.0.1.14
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1967/ATI%20Winflash%202.0.1.14.html

I found I had to uninstall the legacy ATI drivers to get Win7 to recognise the new card - luckily I still had the original 7300GT and had to run that alone before putting in the new drive, instal the new drivers from the CD and then plugging the monitors into the XFX which worked fine when rebooted in Win7.

You'll need a 6 pin powercable - I used the one from my XT1900.

Had to right click ati_winflash and run as administrator to get it running. Then Saved the original Rom from the card and then back into OSX - using the 7300GT again. I tried flashing using Rominators m57702.ROM but no success - subsystem error using ati_winflash, so…

Next step was to follow +Boz and alter the saved original:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/

But only doing points 15 to 24 in the to do list (since I wasn't doing it the DOS way).

With my newly altered ROM I rebooted back into Win7 using the XFX and using ati_winflash Programmed (flashed) the altered Rom - rebooted and wazzam.

Since I have a VGA monitor the boot screen shows up when holding the alt key to choose Snow Leopard - it won't show on the DVI Apple 23".

Works great in OSX and Win7 - much snappier than the XT1900 !

Altered Rom attached...

2x3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Attachments

• MAC5770.rom.zip
    88.3 KB · Views: 3,242

pcmxa

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2011
ABQ
Thanks so much for your post. Particularly contributing the modified rom. I tried following steps 15-24 in the link you shared but kept getting an error (BS must be between -1 and 1). Your rom flashed no problem in WinATIFlash. Got 2 XFX 5770s up and running in Snow Leopard on a Mac Pro 5.1

Thanks again

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 12.39.21 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-15 at 12.39.21 AM.png
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,943

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Good to hear :)

I started messing about with ATI Catalyst in Win7 bootcamp - thought what the hell and bumped it all to max - got nothing but blue stripes - thing is my drivers weren't the latest - downloaded new ones and thankfully all back to normal.

This thread is worth a read too:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1128935/

Looks like Cindori has made new drivers that allow the ATI 6870 to run without flashing - and I think (haven't tried it) the 5770 works with them too.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
This is looking good but can I just ask a question?

What about the DVD player, Steam and Cider games. Do they work with a flashed card?

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
DVD player and Steam (just ran mac Portal game) work OK - haven't tried Cider.

Though I think Cindori's new drivers method has some problems - see link above about that.

martva

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
@eyup. Do you still have the original ROM of the 5770 card? Can you make an MD5 hash of the ROM. (open terminal, type in: openssl md5 romfile )
I installed my XFX HD 5770, but my partno. ends on HD-577A-ZNFC
I want to compare the MD5 hash to the MD5 hash of my card. If they are the same I can use your modified ROM :D

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
@eyup. Do you still have the original ROM of the 5770 card? Can you make an MD5 hash of the ROM. (open terminal, type in: openssl md5 romfile )
I installed my XFX HD 5770, but my partno. ends on HD-577A-ZNFC
I want to compare the MD5 hash to the MD5 hash of my card. If they are the same I can use your modified ROM :D

Don't know about all that Terminal mularky but here's the original ROM...

Attachments

• bios.rom.zip
    45.9 KB · Views: 589

martva

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks for the ROM. Unforetunatly it is not the same as the ROM I pulled from my card. The good news is following your guide I was able to flash the Mac modified ROM with winatiflash.
There is a difference in the core of models. the HD-577A-ZNEC is using the Juniper core, while the HD-577A-ZNFC is using the Juniper XT core.

My card looks like this:
http://www.goshopping.pk/computers/graphics-card/xfx-ati-radeon-hd-5770-850m-1gb-gddr-5-128-bit.html

With the flashed card I was also able the battlefield 3 without any problems after installing the drivers Apple delivers with WindowsSupport installation. Apparently the ATI drivers do not recognize the flashed card correctly in my case. With the Apple drivers it will (aero interface, etc.).

I will attach the modified and original rom as soon as I can login at home. I wil add the MD5 checksum as well.

[edit]: I've attached both ROMS ( original and Mac version )
The original rom (bios.rom) has checksum MD5: aa7d7f5709876262348994eca68793af
The Mac version (MAC5770.rom) has checksum MD5: 700fbe720e6f97ded25a24b2e2c1abf3

Attachments

• HD577AZNFC.zip
    134.8 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:

bccalderoni

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
ATI XFX RADEON HD 5770
Model No.: HD-577A-ZN
Part No.: HD-577A-ZNEC

My XT1900 bit the dust (screen just went black - overclocking it to max in the ATI control panel might not have helped;-) so I bought a PC HD 5770 from amazon saving £108 over apples.

I tried to make a FAT drive but kept getting invalid disk reports - and ran out of CDs.

Since I had Win7 on bootcamp I downloaded ati_winflash_2.0.1.14
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1967/ATI Winflash 2.0.1.14.html

I found I had to uninstall the legacy ATI drivers to get Win7 to recognise the new card - luckily I still had the original 7300GT and had to run that alone before putting in the new drive, instal the new drivers from the CD and then plugging the monitors into the XFX which worked fine when rebooted in Win7.

You'll need a 6 pin powercable - I used the one from my XT1900.

Had to right click ati_winflash and run as administrator to get it running. Then Saved the original Rom from the card and then back into OSX - using the 7300GT again. I tried flashing using Rominators m57702.ROM but no success - subsystem error using ati_winflash, so…

Next step was to follow +Boz and alter the saved original:
http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/978894-pc-ati-57705870-cards-flashed-to-work-with-mac-pro/

But only doing points 15 to 24 in the to do list (since I wasn't doing it the DOS way).

With my newly altered ROM I rebooted back into Win7 using the XFX and using ati_winflash Programmed (flashed) the altered Rom - rebooted and wazzam.

Since I have a VGA monitor the boot screen shows up when holding the alt key to choose Snow Leopard - it won't show on the DVI Apple 23".

Works great in OSX and Win7 - much snappier than the XT1900 !

Altered Rom attached...

2x3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

Do you by chance have a copy of the "m57702.ROM" file. From what I can tell it should work with my card, but I can't find a working link anywhere. And I can't seem to register on NETKAS.

Found this link,
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,371.0.html
This is my card, SAPPHIRE Vapor-X HD 5770 (11163-00-20R)
1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Radeon HD 5770, 1.0GB GDDR5, PCI-Express

If you can get me that file I'd be very happy. :)

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Do you by chance have a copy of the "m57702.ROM" file. From what I can tell it should work with my card, but I can't find a working link anywhere. And I can't seem to register on NETKAS.

Found this link,
http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,371.0.html
This is my card, SAPPHIRE Vapor-X HD 5770 (11163-00-20R)
1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Radeon HD 5770, 1.0GB GDDR5, PCI-Express

If you can get me that file I'd be very happy. :)

this one worked for mine - not sure will work for yours tho - GL

Attachments

• Sapuakari.rom.zip
    88 KB · Views: 261

bccalderoni

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
this one worked for mine - not sure will work for yours tho - GL

Hmm is that a fully modified one? or Do I need to use that in place of the 5770_vervet_netkas.efi in the directions? Also you don't by chance have the zip file that the neowin article you link to in the OP was linking to the one that contained the vervet netkas file and the python script?

eyup

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 21, 2006
UK
Hmm is that a fully modified one? or Do I need to use that in place of the 5770_vervet_netkas.efi in the directions? Also you don't by chance have the zip file that the neowin article you link to in the OP was linking to the one that contained the vervet netkas file and the python script?

TBH mate i'm slightly pissed at mo - cant remember how i did it all!
Hold on - hmm - after messing about with the code, I used the windows app to replace the rom with that one I attached (yup that's modified) - give it a bash, just make sure you've backed up your original ROM before you do!
I think i had another card in when i did it.

ah haa found that efi file if it helps... attached...

Attachments

• 5770_vervet_netkas.efi.zip
    42.3 KB · Views: 339

bccalderoni

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
TBH mate i'm slightly pissed at mo - cant remember how i did it all!
Hold on - hmm - after messing about with the code, I used the windows app to replace the rom with that one I attached (yup that's modified) - give it a bash, just make sure you've backed up your original ROM before you do!
I think i had another card in when i did it.

ah haa found that efi file if it helps... attached...
Beautiful!, I think this should be the last piece I need. Thank you.:) I found the fixrom.py file inside the Zues app. I'll post here if i I get it working with a full update of what I did as well. Thanks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.