Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ilnyckyj

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Is there any way to assign a keyboard shortcut to open up Terminal without having to have a third-party program running in the background all the time?

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Mitthrawnuruodo said:
Quicksilver is a better launcher than Spotlight and the resources it uses are not an issue (and I have disabled Dashboard because it uses too much resources)... :)
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program. Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver. :)

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
GimmeSlack12 said:
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program.
Well it's one solution (out of many possible). Maybe not the one s/he wanted in the first place, but still a solution, and maybe if s/he gives it a try the benefits are higher than the drawbacks of having to install a 3rd party app running all the time... If s/he don't want to try it, s/he's welcome to ignore the post... :)
GimmeSlack12 said:
Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver. :)
You won't regret it, it has totally changed the way I interact with my iBook... ;)

ilnyckyj

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2005
GimmeSlack12 said:
The threadstarter had said they weren't interested in a third party program. Although I don't really care about whether it is 3rd party or not, just if it works the best. I'll check out Quicksilver. :)

i mean, i don't mind a third party program which edits osx to recognize a new shortcut which opens terminal, but i'd rather not have another program running in the background, that's all.

(i disabled dashboard too, never used it.)

Bronish

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Using Automator to Automate

This is coming to the thread a few years late BUT here goes...

I use Automator to launch any application by keyboard shortcut. Must be using Snow Leopard

Steps:

1. Launch Automator from the Applications folder
2. Choose Service
3. The line that states "Service receives selected" change it to "no input"
4. From the Action side drag to the workflow side "Launch Application"
5. For the pull down in the Launch Application action select the application you would like to launch. For Terminal you will have to go to the bottom and select "Other" and find it in the Utilities folder.
6. Save the Service giving it a unique name like Launch Terminal
7. Goto Keyboard Shortcuts tab within the Keyboard System Preferences
8. Select Services from the left pane and scroll down to General in the right pane. You should see your Service.
9. It's not so obvious, but double click to right side of your Services row. This allows you to enter a key combination for the shortcut.
10. Enter a key combination and close System Preferences.

10 steps but really it takes less than a minute to do. Enjoy!

Bronish

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
This is coming to the thread a few years late BUT here goes...

Man.... you know a threads old when it was before I knew about Quicksilver. Wow... talk about reminiscing. I'm actually done with Quicksilver nowadays, although for a few years I totally swore by it.

Use Spotlight.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Man.... you know a threads old when it was before I knew about Quicksilver. Wow... talk about reminiscing. I'm actually done with Quicksilver nowadays, although for a few years I totally swore by it.

Use Spotlight.

quicksilver seems to be dead in the water. I've switched to alfred, it doesn't have the command line type power of quicksilver, but it's a great program in its own right.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
quicksilver seems to be dead in the water. I've switched to alfred, it doesn't have the command line type power of quicksilver, but it's a great program in its own right.

Yeah, QS died over a year ago when Snow Leopard came to town. Development has been dead on it for a while though. I tried Alfred for a while but decided against figuring out another program and have just gone back to using Spotlight. Can't complain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.