Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
I am more than perplexed at the moment. I'm in aww...and I'll admit, I'm a bit upset.

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS!?!?! I know in my heart this is one RANDOM situation...

I was using my iPad 2, playing a game actually... and as I'm sitting there, playing my game, doing what I normal have done,... the GLASS CRACKED RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES!

Literally, I'm holding the iPad 2 in Portrait (EDIT: Landscape, Not Portrait) mode... playing Angry Birds. When the glass cracked, I was confused... cause I felt the crack in my hand. It felt like a release of pressure and when I looked closer... Low and behold... it's cracked...

I've been using Apple Products for a number of years, and I've owned many many manyyy of them. (27iMac,MBP,iPhone4,iPad1/2,iPod,AppleTV...etc..etc) and I am very knowledgeable when it comes these products. Not to sound like an anal freak, but I know how to treat my devices... with care.

I gave the iPad 2 a VERY thorough look over to see if I missed any details.

The iPad 2 was room temperature. Wasn't hot. My room was normal temperature, I'd say around 20'C... so I dont think there was any issue with temperature difference causing a dramatic change that it would crack the screen in my hands.

There is NO - damage to the side of the iPad 2, where the Aluminum meets the Glass. Nothing. No scratches, scuffs, dents... nothing.

Just for the sake of saying it - No... I've never dropped my iPad 2 (pls.. $700 warrants a little extra care, dont you think?) - I've never left it in a car in extreme weather conditions (cold, direct sun).. nothing..

I can say with the utmost honesty, I have treated my iPad 2 with the best of care... and nor have I done anything that cause to be damaged.

What the hell happened?!?!?!?! Has ANYONE... ANYONE!!! experienced this?!?!?!?!?! If so.... please share your story with me. I'm very upset. :(

Here are some images.

screenshot20110416at259.png

screenshot20110416at300.png

PS - if I knew that this was remotely my cause, I wouldn't be posting this thread - but as I said above - I'm perplexed.

Last edited:

duk

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Just from looking at the pictures, it appears there is a small crunch in the plastic supporting the edge of the glass. I would say that could be the initial cause for the glass to crack. Perhaps it took a light hit during assembly and you never noticed it. My first iPad 2 had a dent in the upper right corner of the aluminum. I hope you can get a replacement, make a genius appointment asap and ask for a manager, as this most certainly will take there approval for a replacement. Good luck.

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
Was the temperature outside normal range?

Ive heard stories like this when the user uses their iPhones in lile -10 degrees celsius

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Just from looking at the pictures, it appears there is a small crunch in the plastic supporting the edge of the glass. I would say that could be the initial cause for the glass to crack. Perhaps it took a light hit during assembly and you never noticed it. My first iPad 2 had a dent in the upper right corner of the aluminum. I hope you can get a replacement, make a genius appointment asap and ask for a manager, as this most certainly will take there approval for a replacement. Good luck.

Yes, I do see the spot you are referring too -- I dont recall if it was always there or not - but like I said, when the glass cracked, I felt it in my hand. It literally felt like pressure release...

And unfortunately... I live in Fredericton, New Brunswick Canada..we dont have an Apple Store anywhere close. The closest one is in Montreal, Quebec...

I bought my iPad 2 @ futureshop...

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Was the temperature outside normal range?

Ive heard stories like this when the user uses their iPhones in lile -10 degrees celsius

As I mentioned above - I was using my iPad 2 indoors. The iPad 2 wasn't warm due to heavy gaming, and the ambient temperature in my room was fairly normal. Around 20'C. I've never really used my iPad 2 outdoors.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Looks like the crack originated on the edge of the glass.
If it's tempered glass, this could definitely happen if there was a weak spot on it, specially if there's a piece of other material putting pressure to it.
Very unlikely, but very possible.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
Looks like the crack originated on the edge of the glass.
If it's tempered glass, this could definitely happen if there was a weak spot on it, specially if there's a piece of other material putting pressure to it.
Very unlikely, but very possible.

Definitely... I can see the spot on the top edge... and also the direction of the fractures indicate that the sweet spot of destruction is that focal point.

This is what Im speculating - because... there is no other reason that I would visually, and physically feel the iPad 2 glass crack. UNLESS I was trying to twist the device, which... come on now... I'm a kid... lol I didnt smack down $700 bucks to manhandle my precious.

BlackMagik

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2011
Contact Apple right now!! Ask if they will send you a replacement and when!
In any cases good luck!!

SMacDuff

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
Agreed. Call Apple as you do have a warranty with them for 1 year. Explain what happened and hopefully you get a sympathetic Apple rep who will exchange it for you or at least give you a service number. They should also give you the addy for the closest Authorized Apple Repair Center.

caubeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Your post made me change the way I was holding the iPad with one hand while watching a movie.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
The photos clearly show a nick or pit at the edge of the glass.

If you are telling the truth, it is possible that the cracking was a delayed reaction to the damage. I had a windshield with an edge-nick like that once... it took many weeks for the cracking to propagate. During that time I gave the car company holy hell for a defective windshield... and I had to shut up and apologize once the edge-nick was discovered.

Most of the time, however, edge damage sprays across the glass pretty much instantly. But I can attest that sometimes it doesn't.

Be that as it may, your cracking is the result of that edge nick, I guarantee. Many things could have caused it: rapping against a metal pen in your briefcase as you carried it, a forgotten bonk against the aluminum tray-table legs as you went upright-and-locked as your plane landed, a tap against a porcelain sink when you took your iPad into the loo... edges are vulnerable. This is one area where the original, ugly plastic Apple iPad case was superior to the lovely new Smart Cover, which provides no edge protection.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I am more than perplexed at the moment. I'm in aww...and I'll admit, I'm a bit upset.

HAS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED THIS!?!?! I know in my heart this is one RANDOM situation...

I was using my iPad 2, playing a game actually... and as I'm sitting there, playing my game, doing what I normal have done,... the GLASS CRACKED RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY EYES!

Literally, I'm holding the iPad 2 in Portrait mode... playing Angry Birds. When the glass cracked, I was confused... cause I felt the crack in my hand. It felt like a release of pressure and when I looked closer... Low and behold... it's cracked...

I've been using Apple Products for a number of years, and I've owned many many manyyy of them. (27iMac,MBP,iPhone4,iPad1/2,iPod,AppleTV...etc..etc) and I am very knowledgeable when it comes these products. Not to sound like an anal freak, but I know how to treat my devices... with care.

I gave the iPad 2 a VERY thorough look over to see if I missed any details.

The iPad 2 was room temperature. Wasn't hot. My room was normal temperature, I'd say around 20'C... so I dont think there was any issue with temperature difference causing a dramatic change that it would crack the screen in my hands.

There is NO - damage to the side of the iPad 2, where the Aluminum meets the Glass. Nothing. No scratches, scuffs, dents... nothing.

Just for the sake of saying it - No... I've never dropped my iPad 2 (pls.. $700 warrants a little extra care, dont you think?) - I've never left it in a car in extreme weather conditions (cold, direct sun).. nothing..

I can say with the utmost honesty, I have treated my iPad 2 with the best of care... and nor have I done anything that cause to be damaged.

What the hell happened?!?!?!?! Has ANYONE... ANYONE!!! experienced this?!?!?!?!?! If so.... please share your story with me. I'm very upset. :(

Here are some images.

screenshot20110416at300.png

PS - if I knew that this was remotely my cause, I wouldn't be posting this thread - but as I said above - I'm perplexed.
Methinks thou protesteth too much. Obviously you dropped something on it and are just practicing what you're going to say to the Apple genius when you bring it in. Maybe you could say it was an angry bird hitting the screen. good luck. Maybe the genius got laid last night and will give you a break.

steve10172

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2009
London UK
Birds can break Airplane cockpit window glass.
Angry Birds can break iPad glass.
But the "Nick" is on the outside.
Maybe an Angry bird in your room wanted in.

scwatkins77

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Methinks thou protesteth too much. Obviously you dropped something on it and are just practicing what you're going to say to the Apple genius when you bring it in. Maybe you could say it was an angry bird hitting the screen. good luck. Maybe the genius got laid last night and will give you a break.

I gotta agree here, on the basis of that crack. It's clear that there was an impact at a very small, specific point. The small, round, white spot where the cracks radiate out from indicates that something hard and small hit that spot with some pretty decent force. The fact that the aluminum side of the case isn't dented means that whatever hit it hit the glass directly. Screwdriver? Something perhaps fell on it. But that spot is much smaller than your thumb, and the way the glass is pulverized in that small, specific spot clearly shows that something small and hard (like metal) hit the glass right there. I'm betting you either got angry and stabbed it with a pen or something, or something fell on it and cracked it...

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.
The photos clearly show a nick or pit at the edge of the glass.

If you are telling the truth, it is possible that the cracking was a delayed reaction to the damage. I had a windshield with an edge-nick like that once... it took many weeks for the cracking to propagate. During that time I gave the car company holy hell for a defective windshield... and I had to shut up and apologize once the edge-nick was discovered.

Most of the time, however, edge damage sprays across the glass pretty much instantly. But I can attest that sometimes it doesn't.

Be that as it may, your cracking is the result of that edge nick, I guarantee. Many things could have caused it: rapping against a metal pen in your briefcase as you carried it, a forgotten bonk against the aluminum tray-table legs as you went upright-and-locked as your plane landed, a tap against a porcelain sink when you took your iPad into the loo... edges are vulnerable. This is one area where the original, ugly plastic Apple iPad case was superior to the lovely new Smart Cover, which provides no edge protection.

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate you insight!

Yes, I do see that nick, and as I mentioned to someone else's post, I cant recall if it was there or not before - Im going to assume it wasn't. But, as I mentioned, I actually felt a 'pop' when it cracked/shattered, and it felt like a ripple?! I dunno how to describe it. Best way is to say it felt like a pressure released, Im not sure.. but all I know is .. it's cracked. And Im sad.

kdesign7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 1, 2010
earth, for now.

No, Im not protesteth? that sounds like old english?! but no.. I'm being truthful, I didn't drop it, or anything on it. I wish I could say it was an Angry Bird hitting the screen...

I just find it extremely strange that this happened in my hands, while I was using it. I mean, I could dismiss it as an accident or whatever if say.. I put it down.... walked away and came back.. cause I wouldnt of 'seen' it happen.. but this happened in my hands... so thats why im so.. baffled.

But thx for ur input. I figured I would get these types of opinions when I posted this thread, and thats fine. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.