Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kazyctn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Hey Folks,

I asked the same question to the same forum a couple years ago, and I still can't find a solution to what I've been looking for. I'm hoping maybe now there is something new available, but in reading other posts I'm not so sure... Here's exactly what I'm looking for:

Must Haves:
  • Bluetooth w/o dongle to keep USB ports free
  • Minimal connection hiccups with my MBP
  • 2 buttons + scrollwheel (minimum)
  • FULL SIZE (not a notebook/travel size trinket)

Nice to Have:
  • USB charging
  • right-handed design

From what I've heard elsewhere, the Radtech BT600 is the only option that fits the bill, and it looks like it's gotten only mixed reviews. Any other advice for me? Thanks!

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
This is a guess... I just thought of it now...

If it's an actual BLUETOOTH mouse but comes with a Dongle... couldn't you just not use the dongle since your mac already has bluetooth built in?

Of course, if it has to work with it's own bluetooth device, or if it's not actually bluetooth, that won't work.

WillEH

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2011
United Kingdom
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hate to mention the obvious, magic mouse ( minus the scroll wheel ) ? But then again it's smaller also.... Hmmm. Interesting subject. Going to take a look around :)

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
I might get burned for this one haha, but I really like this Microsoft mouse. Amazon HERE.

I like this one. Comes with a dongle, but works with regular bluetooth from the Mac too. Rechargable from the base. Overall good unit. Ignore the brand :rolleyes:

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
If it's an actual BLUETOOTH mouse but comes with a Dongle... couldn't you just not use the dongle since your mac already has bluetooth built in?
The problem is that most people will give examples of non-bluetooth mice that use a dongle (Logitech mice). Bluetooth mice don't come with a dongle.

@blevins321: according to Microsoft that mouse does not have bluetooth technology (it doesn't show up in the bt list nor do they advertise with it). Where did you find that it uses bluetooth?

kazyctn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
The problem is that most people will give examples of non-bluetooth mice that use a dongle (Logitech mice). Bluetooth mice don't come with a dongle.

- exactly.

In response to others:

The Razer that was mentioned is a good contender, but is a little on the small size. The reviews on its performance in wireless mode were also pretty terrible. The MS Explorer (I actually like MS mice believe it or not) has always had a good size and ergonomics, but I dont believe it's BT and I also wouldn't want that cradle charger cluttering up my desk. In both cases, I'd also rather not have to install any software or download drivers in order to work properly.

Any other suggestions? Thanks guys...

Last edited:

PokerGuy

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
London
I am also looking for exactly the same as OP. I have tried countless mice and disliked them all. I can't stand the magic mouse - it's too small and just doesn't feel right to me.

Years ago I used to swear by Logitech MX type mice - the big feel is exactly what I want. But I, like OP, also prefer to have bluetooth.

Surely there must be someone out there that makes what we are looking for?

If not, there ought to be :)

Help from anyone appreciated!

kazyctn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
Years ago I used to swear by Logitech MX type mice - the big feel is exactly what I want. But I, like OP, also prefer to have bluetooth.

Yep. The Logitech MX is sort of my fallback option and basis for comparison. It's got the perfect size, feel, and quality, but sadly doesn't work without the dongle/receiver.

I've been looking for some time now and still haven't found anything. It seems like 90% of all bluetooth enabled mice are of the travel/mini variety, and I have no clue why the manufacturers would make that association. Are bluetooth users more likely to travel or something?

kazyctn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
I have this on one of my Macs, it works quite well; no dongle required.

Click for Link

but I'm also weird, I love my magic mouse, it took me a month to get used to it, but now, it's just awesome. :D

re: Amazon link - Another example of the "mini" variety.

re: Mighty Mouse - I've tried this one out but the low profile and built in trackpad don't work for me. It's just not something I could use on an everyday basis.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

re: Mighty Mouse - I've tried this one out but the low profile and built in trackpad don't work for me. It's just not something I could use on an everyday basis.

This is not MINI, it is a full sized mouse. I had always used the Logitech MX mice (wireless w/dongle) and this is the same sized mouse as those.

kazyctn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 17, 2011
This is not MINI, it is a full sized mouse. I had always used the Logitech MX mice (wireless w/dongle) and this is the same sized mouse as those.

Here's a quote from a reviewer on the logitech site:

"Since it is a small mouse it's best not to use it 8 hours a day, 6 days a week when working with mouse intensive programs (e.g. photoshop) because it is too small in the hand and doesn't have the best ergonomic design. Besides that it's a perfect travel mouse! Pitty Logitech hasn't yet designed a larger bluetooth mouse that is more ergonomic."

/my sentiments exactly

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Every review site I could pull up said "It's a little smaller" then the normal MX mouse but that they all had no problems with it over time.

If you're looking for one of those huge mice, then I can't help you, sorry.

Kafka

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011

Nope, it is definitely a very small mouse, or to be more specific it's very narrow (I mean from side to side). Bought one and hated it instantly.

To OP, I understand your situation as I was looking for the same thing, however I gave up: the 2 truly BT mice I tried lacked precision (don't know how to put it), IMO due to the BT technology. These 2 mice were the Magic Mouse and the V470, both felt exactly the same, like there was some lag (and I'm not talking about gaming). Then I bought a Logitech with a dongle and it is WAY more responsive, it feels like it actually has a cord. That's the one I kept.
Now I basically feel that if most wireless mice use a dongle even though 99% of laptops have BT inside, there is a reason...

At some point I wanted to try the Razer Orochi but didn't, since I read everywhere that it goes to "standby mode" very quickly every time you take your hands off it and then takes like 2 seconds to reactivate.

Good luck in your search.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I might get burned for this one haha, but I really like this Microsoft mouse. Amazon HERE.

I like this one. Comes with a dongle, but works with regular bluetooth from the Mac too. Rechargable from the base. Overall good unit. Ignore the brand :rolleyes:

Not bluetooth

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
Logitech MX5500 set. Includes a BT keyboard that will show time, date, temp. Plus it includes a MX revolution mouse that is bluetooth as well. Needs steermouse for all the buttons to work in OS X, but its only 10 bucks.

I have had it for 2 or so years. Works great.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009

Try one out if you can. I got the white one, the one they say is for Mac [then again, they all are really]. Went on the pictures alone, and regretted it. Feels cheap...wasn't thrilled with the Logitech Center thing either..kinda flaky.

BUT! If it weren't for that, I'd never had realized how good the MBP built in trackpad was. I've been mouse free since.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Logitech MX5500 set. Includes a BT keyboard that will show time, date, temp. Plus it includes a MX revolution mouse that is bluetooth as well. Needs steermouse for all the buttons to work in OS X, but its only 10 bucks.

I have had it for 2 or so years. Works great.

I've had zero problems with the latest Logitech Control Center and my Performance MX mouse...all the buttons can be programmed, so no need to install Steermouse. If you have (or had) Steermouse installed at some point before installing LCC you may run into problems...I had to manually search and delete everything relating to Steermouse on my system and LCC has been working great for 2 years (through a progression of various Logitech mice)

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2011
I've had zero problems with the latest Logitech Control Center and my Performance MX mouse...all the buttons can be programmed, so no need to install Steermouse.

I tried LCC 3.3 first, and it always told me that "No Logitech Devices are Connected." So I uninstalled it and tried Steermouse. Works fine now.

Last edited:

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've had zero problems with the latest Logitech Control Center and my Performance MX mouse...all the buttons can be programmed, so no need to install Steermouse. If you have (or had) Steermouse installed at some point before installing LCC you may run into problems...I had to manually search and delete everything relating to Steermouse on my system and LCC has been working great for 2 years (through a progression of various Logitech mice)

What mouse though? The Bluetooth mx revolution or the regular one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.