Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Chances?

Is there any chance that the iPod classic will get 128 GB flash memory sometime before the next iPod media event or at the next iPod media event?

Shadow Runner

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2010
Is there any chance that the iPod classic will get 128 GB flash memory sometime before the next iPod media event or at the next iPod media event?

I would say the chances of that happening are zero. The soonest I could see apple using ssd in place of hdd (note if they even do at all) would be in 3 or so years when the prices aren't insane. But by then the ipod nano and ipod touch should have options for storage in the classics range right now.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I would say the chances of that happening are zero. The soonest I could see apple using ssd in place of hdd (note if they even do at all) would be in 3 or so years when the prices aren't insane. But by then the ipod nano and ipod touch should have options for storage in the classics range right now.

I am confused. Are you talking about just SSD? Or is SSD the same thing as flash based memory? I am just trying to distinguish between the two.

GOBMarlow

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
Any word?

Any word on the KingSpec? Their prices are pretty reasonable. There's a RunCore available on Amazon too. They both seem to run at 3.3V. Should this be a problem? Lastly, I'm assuming that PATA ZIF SSD's won't require any adapters, correct?

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Well, the 128 gig 1.8" RunCore SSD will not work... It is too big and teh connections are on the long side...

Anyone find one that will fit in the classic?

You can scratch the RCP-IV-P1828-MCNV off the list...

Hope memoryC will except the return...

Advertised as a 1.8" pata

Please let us know what drives work.

MParrott

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Well, now I'm kinda frustrated... The box they sent me clearly states IDE... I ordered the zif version... If the zif version is smaller it should work, and I bet the connections are in the right place.

Streem

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
Super Talent 128GB SSD is working on my ipod classic 6th gen. :)

Attachments

• foto 2.JPG
    foto 2.JPG
    458.4 KB · Views: 678
  • foto 1.JPG
    foto 1.JPG
    584 KB · Views: 759

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
You guys are tempting me to get this done on my 160 6G.. Are there any 160GB SSDs or even larger that would fit it?

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Sorry, didn't get that. Isn't fat what ? It's the 2008 model (double-platter) I think some call it the fattyo or whatever. What are the other advantages of having an SSD besides speed? I heard battery life is also better but is it true they die "faster" when they are full ?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Sorry, didn't get that. Isn't fat what ? It's the 2008 model (double-platter) I think some call it the fattyo or whatever. What are the other advantages of having an SSD besides speed? I heard battery life is also better but is it true they die "faster" when they are full ?

If your is the double-platter (fat / ce-ata interface) you will need an ce-ata ssd or an extra apple ribbon to connect the pata ssd. I highly doubt you can kill the ssd just by using it on a portable audio player:p my ssd has 4 months and has 100% health and I use my mac every day:D

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Well I'm very tempted to be honest. I love my classic, I love its battery life and Apple current policies aren't hinting at an large SSD Classic anytime soon. So, if I still "throw" the money I won't get "just" 160GB. I'd hit the 256 SSD. I'm a total n00b when it comes to this kind of mods but I know some pro guys.

Do you think a Samsung 1.8" 256SSD will work? And what's the difference between microSATA and uSata ? In fact, which one would you recommend for my 6G ?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Well I'm very tempted to be honest. I love my classic, I love its battery life and Apple current policies aren't hinting at an large SSD Classic anytime soon. So, if I still "throw" the money I won't get "just" 160GB. I'd hit the 256 SSD. I'm a total n00b when it comes to this kind of mods but I know some pro guys.

Do you think a Samsung 1.8" 256SSD will work? And what's the difference between microSATA and uSata ? In fact, which one would you recommend for my 6G ?

For you 6G you need an pata zif ssd and an original apple ribon from an ipod classic (slim models) or an 5th gen ipod. Loads of patience for prying open the classic's case.

yly3

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2011
Before this one I had the 5G and my 6G is slimmer than that one. I presume you'd say "get a slimmer or get the 5G" because the 6th would be thicker, right? I had a little topic over here in order to identify what generation mine really is. The cover box is of the 7G, but it has the laggy GUI and I hear the HDD spinning/making noises almost all the time so I am pretty sure it would be the 6G.

Would there be a significant difference in terms of battery life ?

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Before this one I had the 5G and my 6G is slimmer than that one. I presume you'd say "get a slimmer or get the 5G" because the 6th would be thicker, right? I had a little topic over here in order to identify what generation mine really is. The cover box is of the 7G, but it has the laggy GUI and I hear the HDD spinning/making noises almost all the time so I am pretty sure it would be the 6G.

Would there be a significant difference in terms of battery life ?

Nonono. the original 160gb classic is the fat one. Apple launched an slim 80gb classic and an fat one 160gb in 2007 if my memory isn't tricking me. Then in 2008 they only sold an slim 120gb classic, and finally in 2009 they replaced it with an 160gb slim model.

Every classic has an laggy UI (unless it has been modded). What I said was if you have the original fat classic you will need an new zif cable.

Battery should last a while more (at least with cf cards battery life usually improved), specially if your ipod is the fat one, since the battery is bigger.

GOBMarlow

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2011
On that super talent: looks like the part number is FZM28GF18H, correct? That's a 40-pin PATA Ziff drive. As long as I get one of those it should work?

I just want to make sure I get the right thing this time... Will this one work?

They provided this data sheet

The connection looks right... The part number is also correct, but they have "IDE" in the description... That cost me with the last SSD I purchased.

Last edited:

Streem

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2011
GOBMarlow:
Super Talent FZM28GF18H will work :)

My drive specs:
Specification
Mfr Part Number: FZM28GF18H
Capacity: 128 GB
Form Factor: 1.8 inch
Interface: 40-pin PATA ZIF
NAND Flash: MLC

Plays 39,5 hours music with full audio volume... the battery is a brand new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.