Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

russell1256

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Just got a new Touch, if I stop playing my radio app, then close it, I still notice the play/pause icon next to the battery in the upper corner. How do I make sure the app is not running in the background?

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
Kill it from the multitasking tray? (double tap home, hold down on the icon, click the x)

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
It annoys me when people don't understand that there is a multitasking tray and what it does. When u open an app and then close it whenever your done the system puts the app in a frozen state, so when u open it back up u are where u left off. To manage all the apps frozen there is a multi tasking tray withch is opened when u double click the home button. Now not only do the apps get put in a frozen state but if there is something that can run in tha background say music in your case it will continue to play from the app. There are only 4things that apple allows to do this; music, recordig, geo tagging and continuing to load something while u are not in the app. These 4 things are the only things apple felt was needed for most if not all apps to multi task. So the tray will show groups of 4 apps than swipe to the left to see the next page if there is more, tap and hold the app in the TRAY to then make them wiggle with a minus mark and then tap the minus to kill it (stop it from running or stop it's frozen state). If you have music playing from any app even iPod if u swipe to the right to get a quick volume control and play pause fastfoward buttons. Also in that Part of the tray there is a rotation lock and brightness controls. So again double click the home button to open the tray, and this is only on iOS 4 u should have it if a not iPod app is running in the backround so just follow this little guide and u will be fine. And also to answer your question just press the pause button in the app or in that little trick I told u about in the multitasking tray.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.