Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I wonder what would happen if you added IP blocklists to GlimmerBlocker?

Tip for anyone that attempts to take this on, open source code for blocklist functionality is also included in Transmission.app. This info might be useful if someone wants to integrate this functionality into other apps or possibly to continue the development of Peer Guardian.

Last edited:

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I wonder what would happen if you added IP blocklists to GlimmerBlocker?

As I suspected, differences in formatting do not allow.

GlimmerBlocker would be a perfect candidate to include this type of functionality given that it is a system-wide proxy.

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Doesn't GlimmerBlocker haven't got problems with firewalls like Little Snitch and Hands Off! ?
I really like the PeerGuardian and idea of blocklists.
I really would like this software to be continously developed.

P.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Doesn't GlimmerBlocker haven't got problems with firewalls like Little Snitch and Hands Off! ?
I really like the PeerGuardian and idea of blocklists.
I really would like this software to be continously developed.

P.

Never tried using those outbound firewalls. Seems to work fine with http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/35914/tcpblock, another outbound firewall. (At least, last time I checked. Not currently using TCPBlock)

http://glimmerblocker.org/wiki/LittleSnitch - about using Little Snitch with GlimmerBlocker

Last edited:

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
I use Hands Off!, I prefer it over the Little Snitch.
The idea of Peer Guardian is to block all servers/IPs from block list or allow them.
In that case You can allow all IP's from let's say Apple, Blizzard (WoW servers for example), educational institutes servers and block all SPAM servers, Spying servers, etc. etc.
So its something different.
I would like to use both.

You can see all lists here (they are constantly updated):

http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
I use Hands Off!, I prefer it over the Little Snitch.
The idea of Peer Guardian is to block all servers/IPs from block list or allow them.
In that case You can allow all IP's from let's say Apple, Blizzard (WoW servers for example), educational institutes servers and block all SPAM servers, Spying servers, etc. etc.
So its something different.
I would like to use both.

You can see all lists here (they are constantly updated):

http://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

I understand the difference. But, given that GlimmerBlocker is a supported project and all code referred to is open source, I think the IP blocklist functionality would be a great addition to GlimmerBlocker. Just food for thought.

BTW, OS X is already well protected from malicious writes (installs in relation to malware) and you can use sparse bundle disk images to encrypt sensitive data while you are logged in to protect from malicious reads (just leave the disk images unmounted while you browse the web). This is so much easier than dealing with all those firewall prompts.

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Actually PeerGuardian is set and forget, the lists update automatically. This is huge advantage.

It's too bad no one is maintaining it. Most likely because it is mostly used for P2P and Transmission has built in support for blocklists. If you need it to increase security to server-side services, have you thought about using the packet filter to filter the IPs that can access the services?

Why do you need Peer Guardian?

The firewall prompts I was referring to are those for outgoing firewalls.

Last edited:

niewiesznic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2009
Internet
Peer Guardian worked better alone and with the firewall. I really liked the ip block list. I think it is worth further development for Mac OS X.
There is no replacement for Peer Guardian.

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Peer Guardian worked better alone and with the firewall. I really liked the ip block list. I think it is worth further development for Mac OS X.
There is no replacement for Peer Guardian.

I realize this thread is old can you share what you use though as an added security just as PG is for Windows?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.