Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
I'm having an issue with the windows/finder on my mac. I can't click the close button,empty button, minimize button, or enlarge button without fondling with the window for a bit. It seems to be disable for a while (that's the best way I can explain it). The other buttons like bookmarks, perform tasks, and view options are working perfectly fine. It's just the main buttons on the window/finder.

If anyone has a solution for this, I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
With what device and HOW (tap, click) are you clicking on the icons?
What exact Mac and Mac OS X version do you have?
MR_identify_your_Mac_short.png

Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version, visualised in a more elaborate image
Identify your Mac and Mac OS X version using this 25 second video tutorial (3MB, .mp4, H.264)
Since when does the issue occur?
And Finder is a Mac OS X application to browse files.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

juax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2010
I'm using an IMac, osx ver 10.6.7.
I'm just clicking the close button on the upper left (x). sometimes I click on it and it doesn't want to close. Then I have to just move the window a couple of times and then it closes. If that makes any sense.

macuser111

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2011
I have the same problem

Every 4-th time I try to press a window frame button
(red, yellow or green one) it doesn't react.

It happens when you first click at a region where the symbols
(x _ +) show up but not exactly into the circle of a round button
(or slightly to the left of the red button or to the right of the green).

If you then move the mouse into a near button it is blocked
and doesn't react on clicking anymore (even on multiple clicks).

Then normally you have to move the mouse out of the button
and then try again (otherwise the button remains blocked and
doesn't react on clicking).

Actually one sees this bug on every Mac window.

It's quite annoying. Where can I fill a bug report for Apple?

(Mac OS X 10.6.7)

Last edited:

andymac2210

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2011
Does it also happen in another, even temporarily created, user account?

Have you tried deleting "com.apple.finder.plist" in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Preferences / yet?

It's quite sporadic, so I don't really have time to login to another account and just wait for it to happen.

What will happen, should I delete that plist file?

stoomey74

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2012
Update?

This just started for me using mountain lion with all the latest updates. Anyone ever find a solution?

Thanks

kmatch22

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2017
I'm having an issue with the windows/finder on my mac. I can't click the close button,empty button, minimize button, or enlarge button without fondling with the window for a bit. It seems to be disable for a while (that's the best way I can explain it). The other buttons like bookmarks, perform tasks, and view options are working perfectly fine. It's just the main buttons on the window/finder.

If anyone has a solution for this, I'd appreciate the help.
Thanks

I am having the same problem. I have to move the window over then click the X _ etc buttons or nothing happens. This happens with multiple windows and has been going on for some time, probably about 50% of the time this happens.
[doublepost=1488033730][/doublepost]There doesn't seem to be much on this topic - I cannot shut down a window 50% of the time by clicking the X _ etc, unless I move the window over and then click the x button. Program is running fine and everything else is OK - its real nuisance. Anyone else with this problem or able to help fix it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.