Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Oh great rather than inovation now apple is playing the lawsuit card. :(

Lawyers must be having a slow month.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
great now folks like this guy here ^^ are making wild assumptions.

YEAH MAN, LG already KNEW Apple was gonna come out with a multitouch smartphone, so they rushed ahead and created the 'LG Prada,' therefore Apple had the first capacitive touch screen before LG! YEAH! /sarcasm.

Give me a break kid. If you're gonna make an assumption, at least back it up with some kind of source.

The LG prada fanboys need to back up their assertions with something.

We know how long Apple takes to develop products, a very long time.

We know how much their competition spends doing such things and how they like to rush things to market.

It is much more likely that the LG prada started development way after the original iPhone started being developed. Given the two products they produced, it is pretty clear the LG Prada was created in only a small fraction of the time it took to create the iPhone. So it is likely the iPhone was in development for years before the Prada was even a concept.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
How is their galaxy s line cheap, when it has a pricier screen, a higher quality cpu that most Android devices, at least the lower costing models.

A spec sheet doesn't make a brand/phone. Premium is something that you earn.

Hoping on someone else's brand coattails to benefit yourself and hurt the other brand is what the issue is here.

Samsung phones, i'm sorry look and feel cheap. I don't care what the spec sheet says and most other people don't care either. It's a race to the bottom just like plastic laptops with these plastic phones.

the iphone doesn't want to be lumped into that category. That is the issue.

Dbrown

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2010
I still don't get it. If the iphone was so obvious why did it take 2 years and android for these handset makers to get any foothold?

Because the technology and market wasnt ready, duh.

Toyota was the first automaker with a luxury SUV. now all manufactuers have one... they copied toyota!!!

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
When you are the premium brand (or perceived to be the premium brand for all your android fans who are going to flame on this) you need to protect that. Incredibly hard to build up a reputation like that. The apple logo on the back and build quality is part of that but so is the look and feel.

If samsung builds an iphone clone and starts doing buy one get one free and then offers it on a pay as you go network after time that would erode the iphone brand. Of course apple needs to protect that.

Your assumption is that there are so many ways to make something that they are endless. Android functionality is very close to iOS. So is everything else since its been made for the same human hands.

Samsung phone does not have to directly copy something from Apple to come out looking like one. Apple Lawyers are grasping straws but that what good business executive do, it does not matter if its right or wrong they just do, just like any person with wealth will sue over almost anything, they really have very little to loose when your that wealthy a few million with a possible payoff of billions is worth it.

Most people hear if not all of us are to poor to see that its just business as its done in the civilized world. Win is the only thing that matters even if Apple looses they will loose little when it comes down to it, but they could win big and not have to rush out anything special for some years.:rolleyes:

Realty:

A total of 482,871 patent applications were filed with the USPTO in the year 2009
"U.S. Patent Statistics Chart - Calendar Years 1963 - 2009,"

16 million civil cases were filed in state courts in 2002, according to the State Court Guide to Statistical Reporting
Sorry could not find newer information but if it was that then imagine now.

Last edited:

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
The LG prada fanboys need to back up their assertions with something.

We know how long Apple takes to develop products, a very long time.

We know how much their competition spends doing such things and how they like to rush things to market.

It is much more likely that the LG prada started development way after the original iPhone started being developed. Given the two products they produced, it is pretty clear the LG Prada was created in only a small fraction of the time it took to create the iPhone. So it is likely the iPhone was in development for years before the Prada was even a concept.

Do you even understand what you are trying to say? Who cares when iPhone development started? What matters is patent filing date. Quote: "One day before Apple's acting CEO told Wall Street analysts that his company would not stand for having its intellectual property "ripped off" -- a remark clearly aimed at certain iPhone-like features of the Palm Pre -- the U.S. Patent Office awarded Apple Patent No. No. 7479949.

This 358-page document, originally filed on Sept. 5, 2007, is the mother of all iPhone patents. "

So, the date is Sept. 5, 2007. LG Prada was released on March 22, 2007 which makes Apple patent irrelevant (prior art).

Leaping Tortois

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Apple is devoid of morals and innovation? Are you kidding me? Do you have any idea of Apple's philanthropy? Also, Apple INVENTED the whole concept of touch UI for iPhone and iPad

Apple should just buy Samsung. That will get them a big foot in the consumer electronics sector.

Yes apple has the right to defend their UI, although I should point out that a patent is supposed to protect a process, something like the UI should be copyrighted.

As for the INVENTED the concept part? They didn't invent the concept, they stuck the figurative apple sticker on it and had a major event and all the fanboi's jumped on.

As for the Buying Samsung? Are you serious? Apple's annual revenue is approximately $33-34billion. Samsungs is $170billion. I'd like to see them try.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
lg_prada_iphone.jpg

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Can I create an Angry Birds clone and call it Pissy Pigeons?
We shoot them out of a cannon and smash them into cows.

I mean it's so obvious people will love a game based on geometry where we shoot birds at other animals. How else would you build a game based on geometry? This seems so obvious and is the only way to really do it so Angry Birds would have no case against me.

Slice the String?
Fruit Samuari?

There are hundreds of ways to build a phone but it seems there is really only one way people would find it the most useful.

At least the Windows 7 phones don't copy the iphone. There is a different way to build a phone that isn't like the iphone. How well is it selling. Not too well.

Bilbo63

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
They may have poo pood the ipod but you ever actually listen to any of the competition? Devices from Sony, Toshiba, and the now dead Rio blew away the ipod in terms of audio quality. And after all the original purpose of the iPod was a music player, so sq matters.

I've always found the that the sound quality from my iPod was perfectly fine, but then again, I am not an audiophile by any stretch. What Apple did here was find a sweet-spot. A small device, a good interface for browsing a lot of music quickly, it holds a lot of songs, good battery life, fairly affordable. THAT is what matters to most people. The audio quality took a hit by having a lower bit rate in order to fit more songs, but that was less important to the masses than what it had going for it.

The iPad is the same thing. It's not about who has the fastest processor or the most ram or whether it will run full-blown desktop applications. Again, it's about the sweet-spot. Portable, light, good battery life, affordable, ideal for web surfing, e-mail, games, music, pictures, movies, and some "real work". It was never designed to run the Adobe Creative Suite or Microsoft Office or CAD programs. It was never designed to be the be-all, end-all device that does everything. Based on how it's selling, my guess is Apple nailed the sweet-spot once again.

Oh and if sound quality was what really matters, where are all of the iPod killers? Where are the devices that you mentioned? Sound quality matters, yes, but for the majority, it's the full-package, not just the sq.

Spoony

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Your assumption is that there are so many ways to make something that they are endless. Android functionality is very close to iOS. So is everything else since its been made for the same human hands.

Samsung phone does not have to directly copy something from Apple to come out looking like one. Apple Lawyers are grasping straws but that what good business executive do, it does not matter if its right or wrong they just do, just like any person with wealth will sue over almost anything, they really have very little to loose when your that wealthy a few million with a possible payoff of billions is worth it.

Most people hear if not all of us are to poor to see that its just business as its done in the civilized world. Win is the only thing that matters even if Apple looses they will loose little when it comes down to it, but they could win big and not have to rush out anything special for some years.:rolleyes:

Realty:

A total of 482,871 patent applications were filed with the USPTO in the year 2009
"U.S. Patent Statistics Chart - Calendar Years 1963 - 2009,"

16 million civil cases were filed in state courts in 2002, according to the State Court Guide to Statistical Reporting
Sorry could not find newer information but if it was that then imagine now.

Windows 7 phones with their live tiles look nothing like an iphone. You'd never mistake it for one. There are many ways to build a phone. One of them is to copy the most popular phone.

littyboy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Apple copied every company just by making a phone....

The other companies had a phone first! SO HA!

lol.

Bigdaddyguido

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
This is great news as then maybe we could get some competition and force people to be inventive rather than copycats acting like they're somehow aiding innovation.

Right now the argument that competition will help apple make better products is moot, because no one is actually doing anything different.

Oh, and if you are under the delusion that what apple has done is so perfectly stripped down, everything will resemble it, then your not thinking about this creatively enough. There is tons of room for alternate methods.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Do you even understand what you are trying to say? Who cares when iPhone development started? What matters is patent filing date. Quote: "One day before Apple's acting CEO told Wall Street analysts that his company would not stand for having its intellectual property "ripped off" -- a remark clearly aimed at certain iPhone-like features of the Palm Pre -- the U.S. Patent Office awarded Apple Patent No. No. 7479949.

This 358-page document, originally filed on Sept. 5, 2007, is the mother of all iPhone patents. "

So, the date is Sept. 5, 2007. LG Prada was released on March 22, 2007 which makes Apple patent irrelevant (prior art).

How is the Prada prior art for the iPhone? Icons, grids and touch screens existed before the iPhone and the Prada, it's just Apples implementation that didn't (i.e. square icons in a 4x4 grid with a 4 icon dock below it). The Prada and iPhone aren't remotely similar.

Urmom.com

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

lilo777 said:
As it's already been said, Apple is protecting their IP and patents. If they don't show the effort, they run the risk of losing them. It's not a "Apple is evil" issue, it's how IP and patents work.

There are several ways to lose a patent. One way is not to defend it. Another ways is trying to defend bogus patents and have the court invalidate it.

Who are you? Your a goddamn super-troll! Your on all forums that have even an ounce of controversy. You do nothing but fuel the fire and then sit back and watch all these idiots bicker don't you? It is fun watching everyone playing lawyer like they know IP laws then you throw a stick and watch em run. When they prove you wrong you magically shrug it off then redirect them with some other apple bash and enjoy the carnage they deal to their own brains. Nice! So I'll bet you have an iPhone, maybe iPad and/or MacBook. Keep it up. It's entertaining

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
I'm surprised it's taken this long, to be honest: I've thought for a long time that Samsung's phones in particular are pretty much a blatant rip-off of Apple's industrial design and user interface.
HTC have shown that they can produce an innovative and different interface with their Sense UI, but Samsung seem to just want to rip-off Apples look and feel

Agreed, and I love HTC's UI too (I'm with sprint so I can't get an iPhone, so I have an HTC with android

aohus

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Who are you? Your a goddamn super-troll! Your on all forums that have even an ounce of controversy. You do nothing but fuel the fire and then sit back and watch all these idiots bicker don't you? It is fun watching everyone playing lawyer like they know IP laws then you throw a stick and watch em run. When they prove you wrong you magically shrug it off then redirect them with some other apple bash and enjoy the carnage they deal to their own brains. Nice! So I'll bet you have an iPhone, maybe iPad and/or MacBook. Keep it up. It's entertaining

says the guy whose username is urmom.com

i wouldn't be talkin if i were you.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
How is the Prada prior art for the iPhone? Icons, grids and touch screens existed before the iPhone and the Prada, it's just Apples implementation that didn't (i.e. square icons in a 4x4 grid with a 4 icon dock below it). The Prada and iPhone aren't remotely similar.

So, it's the 4x4 icon grid that is unique? Don't be ridiculous. I am sure that nobody would allow Apple to patent the number of icons. Besides, would you be OK then with Samsung switching to 5x4 icon matrix?

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
This is great news as then maybe we could get some competition and force people to be inventive rather than copycats acting like they're somehow aiding innovation.

Right now the argument that competition will help apple make better products is moot, because no one is actually doing anything different.

Oh, and if you are under the delusion that what apple has done is so perfectly stripped down, everything will resemble it, then your not thinking about this creatively enough. There is tons of room for alternate methods.

I'd disagree to that, considering HTC is coming up with some pretty intuitive things, I especially love the widgets on my HTC with android phone

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009

I am not sure what exactly you are complaining about. Are you saying that patents can not be invalidated? But that's exactly what happened to Cover Flow patent. Quote: "In October 2010, a judge in East Texas Federal Court sided with Mirror Worlds and awarded the now defunct company $625.5 million in damages ($208.5 million per patent). Apple appealed this ruling and argued that Mirror Worlds' patents were invalid because the company failed to cite prior art and filed the patents incorrectly.". Or, perhaps, you are arguing that other company patents may be invalidated but Apple's ones may not? You've got me puzzled.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.