Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Slower & I think It Logged Me On As Someone Else!

I posted a question yesterday on the new style forums. As I was checking back I noticed two things. First it seemed slower in loading pages (better today). The second thing I noticed is it seemed to think I was one of the responders. Odd glitch, and maybe a dangerous one.

sw19

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
I like the old version. Easier to navigate. But, I guess if I start using it more I'll get used to it. Right now it appears cumbersome. Then again, I'm in my late 50's and don't like too much change;)

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
The main problem with the Apple forums is that Apple employees rarely respond. Same thing with their closed bug db. I've found a number of bugs in Apple software that I couldn't be bothered to report because there was no way of searching for similar bugs. I've also sent back a "defective" iPod Touch that suffered from a software bug which was fixed in the next iOS release. The Apple forum had a long thread on the subject but no one from Apple responded with: "It's a software problem and we'll look into it".

Thunderbird

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2005
There are thousands of different problems with Apple products, if this is well implemented and used it will improve the users access to proper solutions.

Wait.... I thought Apple products "just worked"? ;)

I wonder if Apple will be censoring these new forums as well.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Not trying to be snobby, but unless I'm miss-informed with your question, they do have the number of replies. Check out the how to use it button. Clearly shows on second image it shows the number of replies.

I mean here, for example:

https://discussions.apple.com/community/desktop_computers/imac_intel

You see the names of the threads and the latest posts, but not the number of replies...unless there is something hidden I can't see.

Well, if the massive number of posts already up in the last day are any indication, I'd say it's already a roaring success. Grats Apple. Finally an official iForum. This seems to directly compete with these forums in fact.

EDIT: Ah, most of them are from the old discussion threads. Still. Those old threads were well-used already, just hard to navigate. I think this is an improvement.

It's, in fact, a BIG improvement exactly because Apple cared to remember all your history of posts instead of starting from the scratch. I find it much easier to check if a certain thread I've participated in is resolved, not to mention the cleaner layout (apart from my comment about no. of replies above)...kudos, Apple!

Last edited by a moderator:

dj-anon

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
The default username is [name]from[town]?? Seriously? The whole point of the username is to anonymize my profile. And unfortunately, I clicked "Agree" to the ToS before noticing that the same screen also confirms your name. Now I'm stuck with it :mad:

Check your privacy settings.

blondepianist

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
USA
Check your privacy settings.

My username (not my first and last name) is the problem, though. It can't be changed, and is always visible to everyone as 'joefromsomeville'. It's just the first name and city without state, but still, for those of us in rather distinctively named cities, state might as well be there.

The bigger problem is that I really don't want that username. It was too easy to have it permanently associated with my Apple ID, and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to delete the profile.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Social-based features allow users to promote replies to questions by offering their own responses or "liking" individual posts. Community members can flag previously-posted answers as "correct", increasing the reputation score of helpful members to give additional weight to their future comments and provide them with increased privileges within the forums.
What they really needed was a mechanism to automatically flag "dumb" every time someone told you to "reinstall the OS" as a solution.

Oh, and they'd tell you that in an OS X Server discussion topic.

projectle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
Using my iPad with no problems...

Try to create a post, or reply to an existing one instead of just passively reading what others have already posted.

You'll notice that you can not select the text editor box, and as such are unable to type into it.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
Apple is clearly using this discussion page revamp to lay the foundations for a Facebook competitor. For once, you only get a lot of their features if you view the discussions page via your 'personalised view'. And although you can still simply use the default version of your 'personalised view', most people won't like it as it does not give you access to your previous posts without modifying the layout (or jump out of your personalised view into the non-personalised version which is nevertheless confusingly called 'Your Stuff').

Ah, doubtful. Starbucks rolled out a customer site (mystarbucksidea.com) several years back, and it's laid out this exact same way. Actually, I was working for Starbucks at the time and we were partnered with Apple who was interested in the site. What Apple did is nothing new, and forums have been transistioning to this for the past few years. (Sorry Macrumors, love you, but you're forum is a bit dated as well.)

The voting functions weren't active the other day, but the new Apple forums will also tie in Yahoo! Answers type functions. I like this idea. Before, you had some idea (kind of like on here) that a person was a veteran poster, but they weren't rated for what they posted. Every time someone gets voted a good answer, 5 points, best answer 10. (almost like Ebay feedback.) Will really help when someone is suggesting you go into terminal and enter a bunch of commands and you're unsure if they know what they're talking about. For instance, on mystarbucksidea.com, customers give feedback or suggestions for the company to implement. Then people vote them up. Suggestions with high rankings get seen more. On a tech site, if Apple does this right, it should take a problem... say a new iMac hardware issue, and quickly flag it and bring it to the top of the rankings. The support forums are monitored, but not well, nor ranked in anyway.

It's not about social networking as much as it is making a support site more socially interactive. Most of the time people encounter a problem, it's not apple's help pages that solve it, it's other users on the forums. I liked it.

PS. After Ping, if Apple ever attempts social networking of any kind they need smacked. I wish the support site had a suggestion area, because I'd post for renaming Ping Dung.

Last edited:

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
And unsurprisingly, it still doesn't let iPhone or iPad users play.

When will Apple learn that their Support sites and Communities should actually work with their products?

Apple is too busy. They've got fights to pick, companies to sue, tantrums to throw.

Things will get better, more mature and positive when the little man leaves.

Then Apple will really become successful.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
(Sorry Macrumors, love you, but you're forum is a bit dated as well.)
But at least they work and don't feel like molasses slow. If I put the different forum categories on my personalized homepage and (re)load that page, it takes maybe a second just to fill this box with the list of forums. This is not some fast changing list, this is a static list, yet you are first greeted with an empty box that then fills up. And almost everything feels slow there.
Every time someone gets voted a good answer, 5 points, best answer 10. (almost like Ebay feedback.)
The voting feature for people (the 5 and 10 points) and answers within a thread is not new, what is new is the voting for individual posts.
Then people vote them up. Suggestions with high rankings get seen more. On a tech site, if Apple does this right, it should take a problem... say a new iMac hardware issue, and quickly flag it and bring it to the top of the rankings.
This used to work to some extent by showing the number of people have responded to a thread but exactly that number is no longer shown.

It's not about social networking as much as it is making a support site more socially interactive.
PS. After Ping, if Apple ever attempts social networking of any kind they need smacked.
No, Apple this time tries a bottom up strategy, build on what people are already using.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
It's too soon to form an opinion. Traffic is up but that doesn't prove anything. People are just curious. A few months from now we'll see if It offers any true value.

Phillie14586

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2010
I am one to vote for it blows! I want to see what is in the AppleScript forum not all of Mac Technologies. Yes there is the Refine this list which only works for that viewing. Select a thread and want to go back to that Refined List, can't do it you go back to the Mac Technologies and have to refine the list again. Want to submit something to the AppleScript have to select a check box at the bottom of the posting. How do I know when someone has responded to my post when there is nothing on the index page showing the number of responses. Is this where I need to go to the tell How To Use This Crappy Site page to learn how to use a forum that was working. Old might be old but sucky new just sucks.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
No one ever knows any answer to my technical questions on various forums, so I hope this works better!

Its only going to get worse as Apple's race to dumb down the product so any ape can use it.

Fan boys brag about it being for any dummy. Too lazy and complacent, they bash Android as too complicated. And here at one time were true tech enthusiasts.

Apple Appliances Inc

It has a nice ring to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.