Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nukem170

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
I'm looking for a video player similar to VLC where I can just copy video files over and play on my iphone without having to convert them. I loved VLC b/c it could play MKV and FLV files along with everything else. Does anyone know a similar app?

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
air video will convert the movie on the fly while u watch it, it supports all movie extensions as far i know, and u don't need to put the movies on the iPad, but it needs your computer running and on the same network.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
Errrrr How about VLC ?

I'm looking for a video player similar to VLC where I can just copy video files over and play on my iphone without having to convert them. I loved VLC b/c it could play MKV and FLV files along with everything else. Does anyone know a similar app?

I have VLC on my iPhone. I do remember seeing somewhere that it may be removed due to a potential Copyright issue, so I may be talking out of turn..... if so shoot me down in flames !

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
wow, I didn't even know it was possible to play AVI/MKV/XviD files on the iPhone... Thanks iPhone haters for convincing me the iPhone can't play divx.

Couldn't find MplayerX on the app store but I'll give:

AVPlayer
OPlayer
CineXPlayer

A try, Thank You!

Yep VLC pulled their app.

That's unfortunate, hopefully they'll change their minds.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
BTW, is there an app that would stream the video(divx/xvid) directly from a PC over Wi-Fi?

I found and tried VLC Streamer, but it's transcoding video, which requires you to wait, kinda defeats the purpose.

nukem170

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 14, 2011
wow, I didn't even know it was possible to play AVI/MKV/XviD files on the iPhone... Thanks iPhone haters for convincing me the iPhone can't play divx.

Couldn't find MplayerX on the app store but I'll give:

AVPlayer
OPlayer
CineXPlayer

A try, Thank You!

That's unfortunate, hopefully they'll change their minds.

Dont ever listen to those haters. They are everywhere.

I downloaded AVPlayer and it seem to work flawlessly. It's $3 but I think it's worth it. I like how you can just copy videos over with wifi rather than having to connect it to itunes. So I can copy videos over even when I'm at work.

VLC was great. They had to pull the app b/c some DB claimed that VLC was distributed under open source and apple's app store doesn't comply with that or some BS like that. It wasn't really VLC's choice. They had nothing to do with the whole thing.

Also I noticed that VLC was a bit stuttery (could be b/c it's old and no more updates) where as AVPlayer is a lot more smooth with videos.

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
nuke, I definitely won't anymore.

After trying the apps,

AVPlayer - Probably the best, don't really like the non-iOS UI but it's got lots of features, video resume(with on/off option), auto play next video, subtitle support, Wi-Fi transfer, video speed up and other gestures.

OPlayer - Wi-Fi transfer, subtitle support, video resume(with on/off option), background play - this is a HUGE plus in my book, FTP download, HTTP server download. OPlayer also played a 720p video the smoothest(but slow) for me(3GS), the rest were jittery. It's iOS UI but I don't like the layout, "Playlist" and "Downloads" tabs are useless to me, yet your transfered videos are tucked away in "My Documents" folder... "My Documents" should be a tab, in fact the first visible tab when you open the app, it also plays videos only in landscape, no portrait support.

CineXPlayer - Didn't like the UI and could not play FLV and MP4, no Fast App Switching...

VLC Player - Very simple interface... I like the UI, looks "flat" with big nice thumbnails, looks very much like the iPod app. But it's very scarce on features, video resume(no on/off option), and that's pretty much it and like CineXPlayer, it does not have Fast App Switching.

It's between AVPlayer, OPlayer and VLC Player for me, if I find myself not using all the extra features of AVPlayer and OPlayer, I might keep VLC Player, I like the UI.

Last edited:

RebeccaL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2011
Seems that VLC was the only free multi codec player. All the alternatives mentioned are paid apps.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Wow, I didn't know VLC was pulled. I know that people mentioned it might be a while back which is why I downloaded it (despite at the time not fully knowing what it did but knew that people seemed to really like it and be dismayed it might be pulled. No harm no foul if I didn't like it, it didn't have to stay on my phone).

It wasn't until later on some other thread did I realize what a cool tool it was. Now I'm glad I listened to my instinct and downloaded it :).

Cod3rror

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2010
Try GoodPlayer https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1127455/
It aims as the iOS VLC replacement. In fact, GoodPlayer is much powerful than the iOS version VLC. Of course this is an unfair comparison, since iOS VLC has stopped the development for a long time.

Tried it, not impressed AVPlayer is still the best, GoodPlayer makes the seek bar incredibly small in portrait mode and it does not have the scrubbing feature, which makes finding something in long videos very hard.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer supports this streaming playback feature, no transcoding needed.
And GoodPlayer reviewed by Lifehacker, "The Best Video Player for iPhone..."
http://lifehacker.com/5822944/

BTW, is there an app that would stream the video(divx/xvid) directly from a PC over Wi-Fi?

I found and tried VLC Streamer, but it's transcoding video, which requires you to wait, kinda defeats the purpose.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.