Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teamhood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2007
Hey all,

I converted my older DP 867 MDD into a linux server and I want to add some SATA drives to it. What is the best (cheapest) PCI x SATA Controller card that I could use???

Thank you,

FYI - running Debian on this pupp!

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If I recall correctly, that system has 64-bit, 33MHz PCI slots, not PCI-X. I believe the first machine to have PCI-X was the 1.8GHz G5.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
PCI-X is simply just double clocked standard PCI. The FirmTek "PCI-X" cards simply mean support for that extra bandwidth feature but they are still fully compatible in a G4 tower.

FirmTek bungled it a bit by just flat out calling it PCI-X. It should be listed as PCI-X support. Just look at any of their non-PCI express cards. All support both G5 and G4 towers.

I have one of these very cards (FirmTek 1S2) in my G4 and it is listed as PCI-X but also lists support for G4's in the requirements.

To the original poster..

I strongly recommend the 1V4 from FirmTek as it allows 4 drives so you can use all 4 drive bays in the MDD's. If you only ever want up to 2 drives or need to spend less you can get the 2 channel 1S2 I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.