Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klokio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Hi everyone,

I have the last model of the MBP that had the removable battery (so I think 2008), recently whenever I run it on the battery it shuts off at pretty high percentages charged, for instance it just shut off and was at 60% charge. This doesn't happen when it is plugged in with the battery in or out (I frequently take the battery out in an attempt to save it when I'm at my desk anyway).

I'm going to guess this is just a battery problem and mine is going bad, even though istat says 85% health. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for your time!

Klokio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I would calibrate my battery, however it does not go to sleep when it runs down. It simply shuts off as if someone had pulled the battery out with no warning. Should I try and calibrate the battery this way?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I would calibrate my battery, however it does not go to sleep when it runs down. It simply shuts off as if someone had pulled the battery out with no warning. Should I try and calibrate the battery this way?

Reset the SMC, then try calibrating. Instructions for both in the link posted by Intell.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hi everyone,

I have the last model of the MBP that had the removable battery (so I think 2008), recently whenever I run it on the battery it shuts off at pretty high percentages charged, for instance it just shut off and was at 60% charge. This doesn't happen when it is plugged in with the battery in or out (I frequently take the battery out in an attempt to save it when I'm at my desk anyway).

I'm going to guess this is just a battery problem and mine is going bad, even though istat says 85% health. Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks for your time!

Don't take out your battery, for one it doesn't save it at all, so you're not doing it any good, and for seconds, you're making the computer cut back on its processing power.

Put it in, and leave it in.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2332

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.